PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Live Search/Bing "locate me" grayed out (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91801)

kirstein 10-21-2009 09:12 PM

Live Search/Bing "locate me" grayed out

The locate me option is what makes it useful. Otherwise you have to go through 4 or 5 clicks to tell it to find you before you do a search. It worked on my old Samsung Blade, why can't it work on my TP2?

Any updates, cabs, reg hacks?

Thanks....

kirstein 10-22-2009 12:00 PM

Re: Live Search/Bing "locate me" grayed out

Anyone?

mikejones13 10-22-2009 12:09 PM

Have you tried deleting it and downloading a new copy? Then install it and see if its the same thing.

kirstein 10-22-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikejones13 (Post 1254288)
Have you tried deleting it and downloading a new copy? Then install it and see if its the same thing.

Well, you can't actually delete the original version because it is part of the stock ROM, but I have installed the updated BING version, and both the original version and the BING version do the same thing. Has anyone gotten this to work, or is it just me?

mikejones13 10-22-2009 12:18 PM

Out of suggestions, sorry don't use bing or Live. Google is my friend, lol

aldamon 10-22-2009 12:35 PM

Locate Me is grayed out on my Sprint TP2. Annoying.

The work-around I use is to go into Map > Track Me Using GPS > Search Near Here.

oldpueblo 10-22-2009 12:51 PM

I've never known how to get Bing to find you automatically, even on the original TP. It'd be nice if someone knew how to get this working, or maybe it's just as designed.

digi 10-23-2009 05:30 AM

Here is some info, what its worth, I dunno....

I just got an HTC Imagio on Alltel Plan, now owned by Verizon, when I activated it, I was pushed the Alltel PRL. Alltel does not have a carrier name listed, like on the today screen of manila, or the dialer, its just blank. See here...

http://stfuthxbye.net/digi/stuff/0_ScreenShot2.png

I noticed when using the phone like this, with no carrier name, Bing had the locate me option on the main screen, however no matter what you did, it would never work. I also could not get the My Location feature to work on the weather tab of Manila. After changing to a Verizon PRL, Location is now working in Manila and Google Maps, but the option is now gone from the main screen of Bing, and is greyed out in the settings. I think that the Bing app just reads the carrier name, and assumes since its CDMA and cannot use CellID, the feature wont work and disables it.

Hope this helps a bit.

BlackDynamite 10-29-2009 05:30 PM

I have the same issue with Bing. It worked flawlessly for several months on the GSM Touch Pro 2 I have been using on AT&T.

I got the Sprint version of the Touch Pro 2 today and "Locate Me" is missing from the main screen, and greyed out in the settings.

Google Maps works fine. However, anyone who has used Bing already knows it is much better than Google Maps.

Hopefully there will be an update soon that fixes this. How can Microsoft let it's own app be incompatible with the flagship Windows Mobile device on the 3rd largest carrier in the USA? Especially when Google's competing app works just fine?

blue_94_trooper 11-11-2009 12:36 AM

Locate Me is grayed out on my Verizon Imagio too. Locate Me uses cell triangulation for a quick location fix, which is usally good enough if you're going to Bing to find the local gas prices etc.

My guess is that this triangulation doesn't work on CDMA, only GSM.