PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need to turn Data Connection OFF (really Off!)

I'm heading out of the country in a few days, and to avoid unintentional data charges, want to turn Data off. I know where to do this in the usual Communication Settings area, but as we know, this is only a temporary adjustment. As soon as some program wants to access the internet, the Data Connection turns itself back on.

How do I turn if Off so that it won't turn back On by itself? I imagine this is to be done in the Advanced Settings area, where the various Networks are listed, but am a little uncertain as to exactly what choices to make there so that I don't unintentionally incur exorbitant data charges.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

slopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Need to turn Data Connection OFF (really Off!)

I'm sure there is something you can do from the phone, but otherwise you can call Sprint and they will block data for you. If for any reason you get charged then it will be documented that you wanted data blocked and they will reverse the charges.

We do this on our 7yr old's line.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

search for the "modaco no data" cab.

~John
Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 AM
VIP Member

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
call Sprint and they will block data for you. .
Somehow, I doubt Sprint will block the data to a Verizon phone....

~John
Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: a phone
Carrier: none of your buisness

Boo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

well verizon wil block it for you too
Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

slopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
Somehow, I doubt Sprint will block the data to a Verizon phone....

~John
Oops... haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
well verizon wil block it for you too
Yes, they will do it as well I am sure.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
Oops... haha.

Yes, they will do it as well I am sure.
Actually, I'm not sure VZ will block it as the data is required on a TP/TP2.

This cab will probably work although I've never tried it.

~John
Attached Files
File Type: cab (MoDaCo NoData).cab (24.5 KB, 27 views) Click for barcode!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Threadstarter

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work

Thanks guys. I'll check out the NoData cab. I've recently learned that I can use the expand command to take a peek inside all of these .cab files to see what they're doing. Has proven interesting. I'd like to know what it does to stop Data - if it's changing a Network status in the Advanced section, or doing something else.

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
Exclamation Re: Need to turn Data Connection OFF (really Off!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
Actually, I'm not sure VZ will block it as the data is required on a TP/TP2.

This cab will probably work although I've never tried it.

~John
@ john that is not %100 true when i still was using my touch pro i had a touch on my second line with out a data plan!!

@ op if u were going overseas i dont see why they wouldnt block ur data just until u came back!! but just to make sure if u are using a sim from another gsm provider just change the setting in setting>phone>network>mode of operation and change that to gsm/umts only! from there u shouldnt be able to use cdma data only gsm based data!!

Last edited by Adrianh85; 10-20-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh85 View Post
@ john that is not %100 true when i still was using my touch pro i had a touch on my second line with out a data plan!!
A touch can be used without a data plan, a Touchpro or TP2 cannot (at least not without doing something we don't discuss here).

~John

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2