PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 03:52 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (Verizon)
Carrier: Verizon

BradP is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A couple of questions regarding 6.5 and TF3D upgrades

I am pretty new to Windows PPCs. I currently have the TP2 and I have installed the Tweaks/Cleanup CAB from GT2L (which is great) and I have also installed the SPB Mobile Shell 3.5. Right now things are running great, and I am loving the device!

The questions I have relate to the Win 6.5 and TF3D upgrades that are on therir way.

First, if I load these upgrades, will I need to update all of the screens in SPB Mobile (Professional, Lifestyle etc..) or will it keep all of my information and Settings?

Second, since I really like the SPB setup right now, will the Win 6.5 and TF3D upgrades add anything valuable to the phone...is there a place to easily see what new TF3D functionality and UI changes are made.

Any input would be appreciated.

~Brad
Old 10-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza
Re: A couple of questions regarding 6.5 and TF3D upgrades

Unless you do a backup, or your respective applications have a "backup settings" feature, ROM upgrades, like those from 6.1 to 6.5 will erase all your data, settings, and programs, and you will have to reinstall and reconfigure everything. Backups done by SPB Backup/Sprite/ETC are normally not recommended to be restored on ROM upgrades.

But if you are REALLY geeky, you could do a Backup with one of the many popular backup programs, and manually restore things.

SPB has a desktop unpacking program that can "extract" your backup on your desktop, from there you can go through the registry backups and manually restore them onto your device. It's what I do, but is very time consuming. That's why I haven't done much tweaking to my phone since 6.5/HardSPL is right around the corner (HOPEFULLY)
Old 10-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Re: A couple of questions regarding 6.5 and TF3D upgrades

Actually, Spb Mobile Shell has a PERFECT backup utility built into it... just go into the Spb Mobile Menu > Settings > Spb Options and tap the lower right corner button to reveal a Backup Settings and Restore Settings options. This will backup your entire Spb Mobile Shell environment. Save the file to SD Card and you're set.

I still recommend using Microsoft MyPhone or ActiveSync/Windows Mobile Device Center to sync everything else.

Other backup programs will be very unreliable when moving from OS version to OS version.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2