PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

hpmaxim is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Accelerometer Accuracy

I just got my TP2 yesterday to replace my old Mogul. After seeing the level application on an IPhone 3GS, I was hoping to see something similar on the TP2. Other than the G-Sensor calibration (which is rather crude since there are no numbers associated with it), I saw no other apps that are preloaded.

I installed Waterlevel 0.2, but I'm pretty disappointed with the performance. The resolution is almost 1 degree. The result don't seem totally repeatable. There seem to be dead spots (which go away when you flick it, which make me suspect it a software issue), and at large angles it seems to do weird things.

So, what's the deal? Is the accelerometer in the phone just crummy compared to the iPhone's, or is this a software issue? Is there a better software package available?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:02 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra
Re: Accelerometer Accuracy

the fact that the program is 0.2 tells me that it's still in beta, so i'm willing to bet it's a software issue.
on a similar note, try teeter
Old 10-16-2009, 03:07 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked
Carrier: Verizon

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by strra View Post
the fact that the program is 0.2 tells me that it's still in beta, so i'm willing to bet it's a software issue.
on a similar note, try teeter
Agreed. Our accelerometer is very accurate. Teeter and Resco Bubbles.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

hpmaxim is a n00b

Okay... So from playing teeter I can't tell that its really all that accurate, but, if the problem is the software, could someone recommend better software for angle measurement, I'd think that was a very common/useful application. Are there any specifications anywhere for the performance (or type) of accelerometer, I couldn't find any on HTC's website, although maybe I could contact their support.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: WM 6.5 Vogue and Android Vogue

natefish is becoming a great contributor

I use changescreen to help with the screen rotation. Once I did that, I was very impressed with the accelerometer.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II / HTC T7380, HTC EVO

gator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to gator2k83 Send a message via MSN to gator2k83 Send a message via Yahoo to gator2k83

The op is looking for something to use on his TP2 to measure angles and see if things are level with corresponding numbers ... Like my table leg is bent out 12.2 deg ... by placing the TP2 against the leg and reading the screen..

Kinda like using a 600 phone as a $45 digital level..

I don't know of any offhand that are meant besides the one you already mentioned.

I will search around and post what I can find.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker

gator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to gator2k83 Send a message via MSN to gator2k83 Send a message via Yahoo to gator2k83

not what I was expecting but cool none the less.

http://www.clickapps.com/moreinfo.ht...75&section=PPC

Get perfect aligned photos, wether for landscape, Panorama-photography or buildings

Application Category :
Multimedia for Pocket PC

Description :
With photo bubble level you get perfect aligned photos, wether for landscape, Panorama-photography or buildings - all photos will be aligned horizontally. The program uses the built-in accelerating sensor* and displays a bubble level in the camera-image. You can adjust if you want it to sound a beep at 0°.

digital bubble level based on the accelerating sensor*
Overlay in the camera image
Accuracy: 0,2°
Peep at 0° (adjustable)
Calibration
Displaying the last taken photo
Requirements: accelerating sensor, built-in camera
Old 10-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Something similar to what OP really wanted

Application description

With five displays this Water Level covers all possible measuring procedures. Horizontal, vertical, spirit level and 45° measuring. Shows angles analog and digital. Displaying when measurment is in legal range. Displaying and optional acoustic signaling when alignment is corrrect, e.g. 0°. Additional there is a 'artificial horizon' integrated.

5 displays (horizontal, vertical, spirit level, 45°, artificial horizon)
4 Alingments of the HTC Windows Mobile: horizontal, vertical, 45°, even (spirit level)
Accuracy: 0,18° (360°=2000 steps)
Analog display, digital display in ° (angle)
Display: red (measurement is in legal range)
Display: green (measurement is exact)
Acoustic signaling when measurement is exactly right (adjustable)
Artificial horizon: rotation, inclination (for hobby aviators, off-road vehicles etc.)
New: calibration function
Required: HTC Windows Mobile with 'accelerating sensor'*

*Accelerating sensor: This program works only on devices from HTC and identical devices with integrated Accelerating Sensor, e.g. HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Advantage, HTC Raphael, HTC P3700, O2 XDA Diamond, T-Mobile MDA Compact IV and future devices from HTC. If you are not sure, wether your HTC Windows Mobile has such sensor built in, please try the Demo-Version

HTC Windows Mobile Kai's Bubble Level.Net 2.0

by Kaisoft / Pocketkai
Summary: A real professional Water Level for Hobby and Job For HTC Touch Diamond
Delivery: Software available for download immediately after the payment. Get HTC Windows Mobile Software
Requirements: HTC Windows Mobile compatible
Updated: 2009-02-01
Price: $12.00
Old 10-18-2009, 04:56 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

hpmaxim is a n00b

Gator, I just tried the demo of Pocket Kai Bubble Level. I'm more impressed by it than waterlevel, but not by much. It has two big problems. One they claim its sensitive to roughly .18 degrees, but as you can see from the picture, they only show it to 1 degree. They also seemed to make the absurd decision that they needed to emulate a "real" level so badly that they intentionally limit how off-axis you can be to somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees depending on which level it is. I see no functional reason for this from a software perspective. In "calibrate mode" you can see the full-swing of the accelerometer, but I suspect this in some acceleration unit (~-1000 to 1000), so it may involve some significant trig to convert it into degrees.

EDIT: Ooops, it does have the X/Y thing on the main screen, but it does get goofy at high angles. I think this may be sloppy math on their part. Sine works great at low angles but at high angles it starts becoming a pain and vice versa for cosine. So depending on the angle they need to calculate it differently. Maybe I need to write my own app.

Last edited by hpmaxim; 10-18-2009 at 02:43 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2