PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 05:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

CosmoPilot is keeping up the good workCosmoPilot is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
International Texting

As some of you may know, I'm a pilot who travels abroad. I know I probably should have a different carrier besides Sprint, but that's another story all together (and to be honest, I've always been pleased with Sprint service/prices).

When the TP2 came online, I was one of the first to order it. Part of the attractiveness of this phone was it's "global" capability. All my buddies have AT&T, and are able to text in pretty much any country we fly to at no additional cost (because they have unlimited text through AT&T).

Now, when I bought the phone, a customer service rep told me that Sprint does not guarentee texting will work, but it should just like any other phone. And if it does, it would be free as texting is part of my SEP.

Only after a million attemps to text in various countries this past weekend, did I actually go to Sprint's International website and do my own research (bad on me for not doing this first). In the fine print, it states, global texting is not yet availble for Sprint.

I have two solutions:

1. Order a SIM card for the country I'm going to at a rate of around $0.20 - to $0.30 per text....OR

2. Ask if anyone here knows how to make the TP2 work with the Sprint SIM card in it?

Thanks in advance,

On a side note, I was able to pick up all kinds of service providers overseas for voice calling (rates are horrible, but it is available with no hassle on your end w/the TP2).

Cosmo
Old 10-06-2009, 06:18 PM
The GrooGrux King
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to MadlyAlive
Re: International Texting

AFAIK, texting works with the Sprint SIM, however, you're limited to the network you're roaming on (if X cell company isn't equipped for SMS, you won't be able to text, however, if the network is equipped, you can text and you just pay the SMS roaming fee).

Have you seen these threads:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86751

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87113

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadlyAlive View Post
AFAIK, texting works with the Sprint SIM, however, you're limited to the network you're roaming on (if X cell company isn't equipped for SMS, you won't be able to text, however, if the network is equipped, you can text and you just pay the SMS roaming fee).

Have you seen these threads:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86751

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87113
+1. Good info bro!

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

Get google voice and use SMS through them, its cheap (unless you are out of the country)
Old 10-06-2009, 08:01 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laos101 View Post
Get google voice and use SMS through them, its cheap (unless you are out of the country)
I think that was kinda his point.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Threadstarter

CosmoPilot is keeping up the good workCosmoPilot is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandWheeler View Post
I think that was kinda his point.
Absolutely! I was overseas, and can verify that texting does NOT work with the Sprint Sim card. Interesting enough, you can manually select the GSM network you prefer with the TP2. I managed to lock into the same network as my buddies were using with their iPhones, and it would allow them to text but not me.

It has something to do with Sprint not allowing it. Again, their fine print on the International webpage states, texting is not yet available overseas.

Looks like my only options is a local pre-paied SIM card unless someone has a work around...

Cosmo

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2