PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

SolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dyeing battery cover-(SPRINT) (Video of dyeing/removing orange backing)-UPDATED!

**UPDATED**

I added a video tutorial for dyeing the back of the Sprint Touch Pro 2 battery cover, as well as pictures of the results. I also Dyed the Stylus. *This video covers the dyeing of a case with the orange insert*.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpKpmFYqyqQ

Stock cover & stylus next to the dyed case (with orange insert dyed black) & stylus- Remember the cover needs to stay in the dye at least 10 minutes for it to dye the orange backing on the Sprint version. In addition, moving it around a bit while it's in the dye helps to get it in all the crevices. This insures no air bubbles are in the holes, preventing the dye from getting into the orange.

Dyed stylus/stock stylus

Here is a link to the Touch Pro "Official" thread on how to dye the battery cover on the original Touch Pro. (with over 1,000 posts)

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...&highlight=RIT

The only thing I do differently is place it in a bowl of ice filled water & rub it with a soft cloth until all the additional dye comes off. I have found this also helps with the initial smell.

This is a great process that I used with exceptional results on multiple covers. I am hoping that some people here will take the plunge & post pictures of their newly colored phones in here so we can see all the possibilities!

Here is a writeup another user did on my video:

http://pocketnow.com/tweaks-hacks/ht...video-tutorial

Here is a comparison shot of the Sprint TP 2 With & without the orange undercoating. I used my fingernail & a razor blade to remove the backing completely.

EDIT: After removing the undercoating & using the speakerphone I noticed a marked difference in the loudness & clarity. Keep in mind this will increase the sensitivity of the mute button. Should not really matter though since it is only used when you have the device face down in speakerphone mode.

If the mute button bothers you:

Here is a redneck fix for your issue. Take a 1" piece of black tape. Fold it over on itself. Remove the battery, insert one edge of the take into the top of the battery housing. Re-seat the battery. This will cause the battery to shift just enough to fix the mute button issue, and prevent the battery falling out so easily. It does not effect thy dynamics of the case.

Time to remove it on the other one!

ADDED: Video tutorial for removing the orange backing (Using a Hairdryer to heat the cover first helps)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_5n8XZWbo

Last edited by SolApathy; 12-03-2009 at 03:16 PM.
This post has been thanked 17 times.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Nexus One.
Carrier: Sprint, TMobile

pixelwix knows their stuffpixelwix knows their stuffpixelwix knows their stuffpixelwix knows their stuffpixelwix knows their stuffpixelwix knows their stuff
Re: Dyeing your battery cover- Instructions

there is already a thread on how to do it for the tp2,!!!

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88279

Quote:
“The hood love to listen to Jeezy and Weezy, and oh yeah Yeezy; I did it for the Glory.”
Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

SolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuff

Yeah but it's missing a few instructions, not to mention he posted it specifically for the Verizon TP. The will be a consolidated thread to include all pictures, for any carrier, with a link to the original TP forum thread which started this obsession to dye our phones!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 | HTC Hero

appzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to appzattak Send a message via MSN to appzattak Send a message via Yahoo to appzattak Send a message via Skype™ to appzattak

I don't think it will look right with the Sprint battery cover. Just buy a Verizon one for like 10 bucks and then dye it and use it. It's a super simple process., look in the TP forum for the exact instructions.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

eldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good work

Why did you start a new thread?

Phone

Sprint
PPC-6600

Verizon
Samsumg i760
HTC VX6800 - Mogul
HTC VX6850 - Touch Pro
HTC VX6875 - Touch Pro 2

Feathered Access -
Free Live Mobile Television On The Go!
http://featheredaccess.com
Old 10-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersoul View Post
Why did you start a new thread?

Because his thread
#1- Specifies Verizon
#2. Doesn't reference the 1,000 post thread about dyeing your cover
#3. Doesn't have anything to do with removing the orange undercoating on the Sprint version
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

eldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good work
Re: Dyeing your battery cover- Instructions (Pics of orange removed)

So because you say its for verizon (which btw, was the specifically what the other op posted about) and it doesnt have a reference to another thread its somehow different? I just dont think it qualifies, chief.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:53 PM
AKA TEMPERBAD
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2/ N1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersoul View Post
So because you say its for verizon (which btw, was the specifically what the other op posted about) and it doesnt have a reference to another thread its somehow different? I just dont think it qualifies, chief.
who cares, lets let the mods figure that out...

I found the post usefull and thumbs up. Im hitting thanks... Also it looks way better with the orange gone..... Nice
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:54 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Ew. I think it looks like crap without the orange.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

a few experiments...Keep in mind this is about 5 minutes of work with tape for both. Just trying to find the look I like. Keep in mind you need to cut out an area for the speakers.

Last edited by SolApathy; 10-08-2009 at 01:43 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2