PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Gulanowski is keeping up the good workGulanowski is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got a refurb >:(

I was told yesterday that they had inventory available of the TP2. I should have learned by now (this being my 4th TP2) to ask if they were new or refurbs, but it slipped my mind. I go down to the mailbox today to get the package and could immediately tell by it's weight that it's a refurb.

So now I'm stuck with a refurb because Verizon doesn't have any new TP2's and doesn't know when they will have more. I really don't want a refurb, who knows what was wrong with this phone previously and why it was sent back. I also didn't pay for a refurb, I paid for a new phone.

What do you think I should do at this point?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:38 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP
Re: Got a refurb >:(

Have you checked the refurb status of the device? Someone else here got a phone that appeared to be a refurb based on packaging, but when checking the refurb hardware status, it was still set at no, meaning a new unit.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

ntl555 is becoming a great contributor

I would just return it and wait. I personally would be very disappointed for buying a new phone and getting a refurb price.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

eldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good work

Seriously? Call and scream. They have a worry free guarantee for 30 days that says you can get as many NEW god damn phones as you want and after that, manufacturer defects = NEW PHONE. Period. Make sure they note your account for a new phone when they come in. It really shouldnt be an issue if you talk to a manager. Just ask for one before you even speak to the regular folk.

Phone

Sprint
PPC-6600

Verizon
Samsumg i760
HTC VX6800 - Mogul
HTC VX6850 - Touch Pro
HTC VX6875 - Touch Pro 2

Feathered Access -
Free Live Mobile Television On The Go!
http://featheredaccess.com
Old 10-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts View Post
Have you checked the refurb status of the device? Someone else here got a phone that appeared to be a refurb based on packaging, but when checking the refurb hardware status, it was still set at no, meaning a new unit.
It has all the tape on it which makes it appear new, but lacks a battery (has a door though). She checked and said it is indeed a refurb. Why chance it though, I want a new TP2 not a problematic one. Who knows, could have been one of the one's I sent back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersoul View Post
Seriously? Call and scream. They have a worry free guarantee for 30 days that says you can get as many NEW god damn phones as you want and after that, manufacturer defects = NEW PHONE. Period. Make sure they note your account for a new phone when they come in. It really shouldnt be an issue if you talk to a manager. Just ask for one before you even speak to the regular folk.
She's checking the warehouses to see if they know when they'll be getting more in. She's supposed to call me back, if she doesn't I'll go straight to tech support as they seem to have higher clearance and handle things quicker and more efficiently. I heard last time from tech support that it could be as late as end of November which is what the tech support rep heard while asking around, of course I take that with a grain of salt considering how off the mark these Verizon people are half the time. But damn, if he was right, how could Verizon market a phone when they don't have stock for weeks or months?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Yeah that happened to me also. I wasn't pleased to see it, but I inspected it very closely and couldn't find any evidence of it being used before. If you dial ##778 talk and then click edit, followed by view, what does it say for refurb status & date? It could be that they just have some new ones without packaging and extras to cut down on replacement costs.

Edit: Also look at the life timer and count.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notime View Post
Yeah that happened to me also. I wasn't pleased to see it, but I inspected it very closely and couldn't find any evidence of it being used before. If you dial ##778 talk and then click edit, followed by view, what does it say for refurb status & date? It could be that they just have some new ones without packaging and extras to cut down on replacement costs.

Edit: Also look at the life timer and count.
Yes, I've been meaning to check that. But isn't that information that can be altered, i.e. reset?

If I remember correctly, there were people with Titan's that got refurbs that had the information reset and there was no refurb labeling within the menu.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulanowski View Post
Yes, I've been meaning to check that. But isn't that information that can be altered, i.e. reset?
To my knowledge it truly reflects the status of the device. At least that was the case when I was with Sprint and received replacement Touch Pro's.

You could be right though. I just checked my life timers, and they definitely reflect the time since my last hard reset, which was yesterday. So those values mean nothing.

The only issue I have with my replacement is that the double tap zooming feature in Opera is wonkey. It's like the screen isn't calculating my presses correctly. So check that out and make sure it's okay. If the device seems otherwise perfect, it might be less of a gamble to keep what you have then try for another TP2 that could have any number of issues. In this case, having a "refurb" might be to your advantage.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: VZW TP2 GREATEST VZW PHONE EVER
Carrier: VZW

isdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuff

I'm sorry, but I don't see how Verizon is responsible for giving you your 4th TP2 in 30 days. To me, this screams that the customer is the problem, not the phone.

After 3, they should be like sir, we'd ask that you either return it for a refund or choose another model.

I think them giving you 3 NEW retail devices in 30 days is more than reasonable.

Also, if its a refurb, try SIM unlocking it. My experience with other Verizon global phones is that the SIM unlock code only worked on a retail phone. All the refurbs I received could be SIM unlocked with all zeros (00000000)

Last edited by isdnmatt; 10-01-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdnmatt View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't see how Verizon is responsible for giving you your 4th TP2 in 30 days. To me, this screams that the customer is the problem, not the phone.

After 3, they should be like sir, we'd ask that you either return it for a refund or choose another model.

I think then giving you 3 NEW retail devices in 30 days is more than reasonable.
Matt,

First batches of any product are always prone to issue's. You're making the assumption that I'm the issue when you haven't been the one experiencing the problems with any of these phones. What gives you the authority to make that decision? None so far as I can see. So by your reasoning I should just suck it up because Verizon was nice enough to give me three defective phones? Clearly you're using flawed logic.

8no,

The tech support rep I just spoke with checked the history of the serial number and saw it was never activated, which is good I suppose. However, it is still a refurb and for whatever reason the person who had it before sent it back, which makes me wonder.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2