PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Gmail Sync and Attachments? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87810)

fuuup 09-28-2009 10:43 PM

Gmail Sync and Attachments?

Is anyone else having problems getting attachments with gmail sync? I've been receiving them fine until around 1pm pacific time. Now, no matter what kind of attachment i send though, the email shows up as if there is no attachment at all.

Can someone using gmail sync please try to duplicate the problem? Thanks.

bluruld 09-28-2009 10:48 PM

Re: Gmail Sync and Attachments?

Ya I've been having randomness with push etc. I believe there servers are getting slammed as they underestimated the demand of this service and that it is in beta.

Things seem to work themselves out.

ejennis 09-29-2009 01:23 AM

I am getting the same issue here. Email with attachment just shows up like it did not have an attachment on the phone.

dannzeman 09-30-2009 06:39 PM

Ever since I switched to gmail sync I haven't been able to receive attached files. I don't know what the deal is.

fuuup 10-07-2009 03:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well... I've decided to disable gmail sync and go back to regular IMAP with the IMAP idle pusher service. Too many problems right now. There's quite a bit of delay at times. I'm also getting duplicates. Trash isn't mapped correctly in exchange, and still no attachments.

IMAP with the IMAP pusher service works perfectly (google has been running IMAP for quite some time now, so they've pretty much got it all worked out). Sometimes mail gets pushed to my phone so quickly that the email pops up on my phone before it shows up in thunderbird... on my computer ;)

For those of you who would like to do the same and get your gmail pushed while we wait for google to work out the kinks in gmail sync... just uncheck the "E-Mail" box under your active sync settings. Then do the following steps:

Add your gmail account as a normal account. It's pretty self explanatory, but you can find directions here if you get confused along the way: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=78886

Make a directory in your program files folder and extract the files in the attached zip to that directory. Run the ImapPusherService.exe file from your phone and put in your information. Once that's done, your mail should push instantly and you'll get your attachments back.

To make sure the service starts every time, copy a shortcut to ImapPusherService.exe and paste it in your startup folder.

I've also found that I get better battery life by going into activesyc and changing the sync schedule to every 4 hours. Since you're only synching calendar and contacts (or one of them.. or neither of them) there's really no need to have it sync as new items arrive. Imap Pusher Service will take care of email separately and instantly (instead of synching contact, calendar, and email all at the same time) and you'll have less battery drain.

Let me know if this helps you guys out. Also let me know if you have any questions about the setup.

fuuup 10-07-2009 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannzeman (Post 1205227)
Ever since I switched to gmail sync I haven't been able to receive attached files. I don't know what the deal is.

The google team has actually acknowledged the existence of this problem and they say they are working toward a solution. I don't really have time to wait, and IMAP has been working perfectly with the above mentioned push plugin, so I don't really see the need to wait it out.

I might give it another shot in a month or so to see how it's doing. But then again, I might not. Gmail sync has quite a few issues from what I can tell and IMAP is already solid, so what's the point...

badsez 10-07-2009 04:40 AM

Thanks. You got me converted back to IMAP.

cpl. questions

What is your workaround for the Sent Mail folder being blank in wm6.1? I created a filter/label in gmail called SntMl to show all sent from my email address and used it to keep in sync.

Since ImapPusher takes care of incoming mail.. what is the recommended setting for the send/receice frequency? ideally.. i'd like the sent mail to be sent right away in true sense!!

Another question. Where to set 2 weeks of email instead of 7 days or 30 days??

once again.. ur post brought back my sanity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuuup (Post 1219288)
Well... I've decided to disable gmail sync and go back to regular IMAP with the IMAP idle pusher service. Too many problems right now. There's quite a bit of delay at times. I'm also getting duplicates. Trash isn't mapped correctly in exchange, and still no attachments.

IMAP with the IMAP pusher service works perfectly (google has been running IMAP for quite some time now, so they've pretty much got it all worked out). For those of you who would like to do the same and get your gmail pushed while we wait for google to work out the kinks in gmail sync... just uncheck the "E-Mail" box under your active sync settings. Then do the following steps:

Add your gmail account as a normal account. You can find directions here if you get confused along the way: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=78886

Make a directory in your program files folder and extract the files in the attached zip to that directory. Run the ImapPusherService.exe file from your phone and put in your information. Once that's done, your mail should push instantly and you'll get your attachments back.

To make sure the service starts every time, copy a shortcut to ImapPusherService.exe and paste it in your startup folder.

I've also found that I get better battery life by going into activesyc and changing the sync schedule to every 4 hours. Since you're only synching calendar and contacts (or one of them.. or neither of them) there's really no need to have it sync as new items arrive. Imap Pusher Service will take care of email separately and instantly (instead of synching contact, calendar, and email all at the same time) and you'll have less battery drain.

Let me know if this helps you guys out. Also let me know if you have any questions about the setup.

fuuup 10-07-2009 05:03 AM

No problem ;) Most of the time I spend on this phone is for e-mail, so it's pretty important to me.... and I know there are tons of you out there who do the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by badsez (Post 1219319)
What is your workaround for the Sent Mail folder being blank in wm6.1? I created a filter/label in gmail called SntMl to show all sent from my email address and used it to keep in sync.

The problem is that WM6.1 still doesn't allow you to manually map your root directory and IMAP folders to their sent/trash/etc folders. What I do for sent, although it takes a few extra clicks to get there is just have it sync from the gmail root directory folder that it creates. It should show up just above the built in outlook folders as [Gmail] or whatever you've named this account. If you go in there, you'll see all of your folders/filters including "Sent Mail". If you click menu > tools > manage folders, you can have outlook sync that folder, and you'll have access to your sent mail. Actually, I think that makes it just one extra click, but at least you wont have to deal with an extra filter.

Outlook's "Sent Item's" folder will always be empty, unless you enable "save a copy of sent messages" which just causes a different set of problems. It also isn't necessary to check that box since with google, anything that goes through SMTP is automatically flagged as "sent" and stored under your "sent mail" filter. We just have to wait for microsoft to either give in and give us proper IMAP support, or wait for google to finish with sync. I was hoping that microsoft would cave before google did, but alas...

Quote:

Since ImapPusher takes care of incoming mail.. what is the recommended setting for the send/receice frequency? ideally.. i'd like the sent mail to be sent right away in true sense!!

For send/receive frequency, you'll want to set it to manual. The IMAP pusher service takes care of incoming mail using IMAP IDLE... so it's basically pushed to your phone immediately, you don't want it burning battery and checking for mail when there is none. As for sending, if Outlook is set to send emails manually, when you type out an email and hit send.... guess what... that's a manual send command ;) So the email will go out instantly.

Quote:

Another question. Where to set 2 weeks of email instead of 7 days or 30 days??

I actually only have 7 days and 30 days as my only options. Two weeks doesn't show up, although I do think I remember seeing it there at one point on my TP1. That might be something that can be sorted out with a registry edit... or maybe that was on WM6.5. That'll require some board searching. You'll most likely have better luck in the TP1 forum, or you can try google search up at the top.

Welcome back to IMAP :)

butler360 10-07-2009 05:10 AM

It's a known issue they are working on: http://www.google.com/support/forum/...49d4&hl=en#all

fuuup 10-07-2009 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butler360 (Post 1219335)
It's a known issue they are working on: http://www.google.com/support/forum/...49d4&hl=en#all

It sure is, and they sure are ;)

However, it is not the only problem that users are experiencing right now. And they haven't really given us any kind of time frame on when it'll be fixed. IMAP works just fine as does the IMAP pusher service. No need to wait around when we have something that already works.

I'm sure google will work things out in the coming months, but in the meantime... lets get some email!

badsez 10-07-2009 05:13 AM

double bonus in an hour. thank you. thank you.=D>

1 more question. Is there a setting to pull 2 weeks of email instead of 7 or 30 days?

I do have a 8gb card but worried abt system slowdown due to large mailbox issues like a desktop outlook. Whats ur experience?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuuup (Post 1219331)
No problem ;) Most of the time I spend on this phone is for e-mail, so it's pretty important to me.... and I know there are tons of you out there who do the same.

The problem is that WM6.1 still doesn't allow you to manually map your root directory and IMAP folders to their sent/trash/etc folders. What I do for sent, although it takes a few extra clicks to get there is just have it sync from the gmail root directory folder that it creates. It should show up just above the built in outlook folders as [Gmail] or whatever you've named this account. If you go in there, you'll see all of your folders/filters including "Sent Mail". If you click menu > tools > manage folders, you can have outlook sync that folder, and you'll have access to your sent mail. Actually, I think that makes it just one extra click, but at least you wont have to deal with an extra filter.

Outlook's "Sent Item's" folder will always be empty, unless you enable "save a copy of sent messages" which just causes a different set of problems. It also isn't necessary to check that box since with google, anything that goes through SMTP is automatically flagged as "sent" and stored under your "sent mail" filter. We just have to wait for microsoft to either give in and give us proper IMAP support, or wait for google to finish with sync. I was hoping that microsoft would cave before google did, but alas...

For send/receive frequency, you'll want to set it to manual. The IMAP pusher service takes care of incoming mail using IMAP IDLE... so it's basically pushed to your phone immediately, you don't want it burning battery and checking for mail when there is none. As for sending, if Outlook is set to send emails manually, when you type out an email and hit send.... guess what... that's a manual send command ;) So the email will go out instantly.

Welcome back to IMAP :)

fuuup 10-07-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badsez (Post 1219339)
I do have a 8gb card but worried abt system slowdown due to large mailbox issues like a desktop outlook. Whats ur experience?

I answered the 2 week question in my last post (short answer: dunno)... as for slowdown... that's always subjective. I get a TON of email during the week, and 7 days is about all I can tolerate looking at, but as far as slowdown. I don't really notice any.

My suggestion would be to try 30 days, see how you like it. If it doesn't work for ya, then just switch back. But definitely search to find out if there's a way to add a 2 week option.

butler360 10-07-2009 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuuup (Post 1219337)
I'm sure google will work things out in the coming months, but in the meantime... lets get some email!

I agree, just wanted to link the thread for the problem. I have it in my RSS reader so hopefully I'll be kept sorta up to date on it.

fuuup 10-07-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butler360 (Post 1219354)
I agree, just wanted to link the thread for the problem. I have it in my RSS reader so hopefully I'll be kept sorta up to date on it.

Awesome man. Throw us a post in this thread (I think pretty much anyone who cares about gmail sync has congregated here) if they come out with any new updates on the situation.

zizo72 10-09-2009 12:12 AM

how do i copy a shortcut?

Quote:

IMAP with the IMAP pusher service works perfectly (google has been running IMAP for quite some time now, so they've pretty much got it all worked out). Sometimes mail gets pushed to my phone so quickly that the email pops up on my phone before it shows up in thunderbird... on my computer ;)

For those of you who would like to do the same and get your gmail pushed while we wait for google to work out the kinks in gmail sync... just uncheck the "E-Mail" box under your active sync settings. Then do the following steps:

Add your gmail account as a normal account. It's pretty self explanatory, but you can find directions here if you get confused along the way: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=78886

fuuup 10-09-2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zizo72 (Post 1224371)
how do i copy a shortcut?

Copy the file as usual. When you go to paste, it should give you both an option to "paste" and "paste shortcut". Paste shortcut ;)

zizo72 10-09-2009 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuuup (Post 1224513)
Copy the file as usual. When you go to paste, it should give you both an option to "paste" and "paste shortcut". Paste shortcut ;)

Thank you! I feel retarded! :)

badsez 10-09-2009 03:56 AM

How do i change the account info on the imappusher settings?
I cant seem to bring back the settings since i checked the save password.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuuup (Post 1219337)
It sure is, and they sure are ;)

However, it is not the only problem that users are experiencing right now. And they haven't really given us any kind of time frame on when it'll be fixed. IMAP works just fine as does the IMAP pusher service. No need to wait around when we have something that already works.

badsez 10-09-2009 04:17 AM

nm. i found the settings file under applicationdata/imappusher folder. once i delted the file.. the settings window poppedup.

thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by badsez (Post 1224627)
How do i change the account info on the imappusher settings?
I cant seem to bring back the settings since i checked the save password.

Fixup 10-10-2009 08:44 PM

One problem with Gmail Exchange push is: your reply address is your gmail address, cannot be set to one of the verified alias.

SOHKis 10-12-2009 03:22 PM

is it possible to setup 2 gmail accounts w/this, or will entering settings for a second overwrite the 1st..?

fuuup 10-12-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOHKis (Post 1232169)
is it possible to setup 2 gmail accounts w/this, or will entering settings for a second overwrite the 1st..?

I believe the settings are stored in the program folder. If you create a second folder in program files and name it something else, and then create a start up shortcut to the exe in that folder... that might work.

SOHKis 10-12-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuuup (Post 1232330)
I believe the settings are stored in the program folder. If you create a second folder in program files and name it something else, and then create a start up shortcut to the exe in that folder... that might work.

thanks, i'll start doing some testing when i get some spare time.

badsez 10-13-2009 09:35 PM

Is there a way to search within pocket outlook messages?

since i have a ton of email in 4 different folders that i sync via imap.. i'd like to search these by a keyword..

citats 10-13-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badsez (Post 1235899)
Is there a way to search within pocket outlook messages?

since i have a ton of email in 4 different folders that i sync via imap.. i'd like to search these by a keyword..

Windows mobile has always had search... it's in your start menu and it searches everything, including mail.

badsez 10-13-2009 10:44 PM

i cant find it in the start menu or in all programs! where is it?
i'm using Touchflow does that matter?

also.. another question, asking with out trying the search app u mentioned.. anyway to restrict the search to just the email account?

Quote:

Originally Posted by citats (Post 1235973)
Windows mobile has always had search... it's in your start menu and it searches everything, including mail.

WisdomWolfX 10-19-2009 04:08 PM

I have been having lots of issues with google sync where it keeps deleting all my emails and resyncing and somehow still missing some of the latest messages. I attempted to use the IMAP pusher service, but as soon as I click it I get an error message:

File or assembly name 'ImapPusher, Version=1.0.3354.36827, Culture=neutral, PublicToken=null' , or one of its dependencies, was not found.

Any ideas? I tried reinstalled .NET CF 3.5, but that won't reinstall although it appears to be working fine (other programs that depend on it, like Pocket Shield, still work).

rosarios3 10-21-2009 10:02 PM

FUUUP, thanks for posting this fix, it works great!

Fixup 11-04-2009 04:48 PM

Hi fuuup:

Thank you for this effort. Could you please change it to restart after 10 minutes or so? One minute is too short and drains battery fast.

I have to live with this imap idle push, because Windows Live insists on sending heartbeat every 5 minutes which drains battery too fast. Without Live pushing, my Diamond idles for 24 hours and consumes less than 10% battery; with Live on, my battery goes down to 10% in 5 hours!!!

Exchange push is even worse than Live, in terms of heartbeat interval and battery life impact.

jhale83 11-04-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuuup (Post 1224513)

I hit paste the first time instead of paste shortcut and now I can't delete the first one out of the StartUp folder. Anyone have any suggestions? I even tried to delete it through Total Commander and no dice.

jhale83 11-04-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhale83 (Post 1298724)
I hit paste the first time instead of paste shortcut and now I can't delete the first one out of the StartUp folder. Anyone have any suggestions? I even tried to delete it through Total Commander and no dice.

Nevermind. Did another soft reset and I was able to delete it.

chakde 11-08-2009 03:16 AM

Thanks for the "u" version of Imappusher. I have using this for a while but when I installed WinMo 6.5 I was running into some errors but the version you posted fixed that for me.

GatorDeb 11-08-2009 04:14 PM

Maybe you all can help me. I set up activesync with using SSL, m.google.com, username@gmail.com, my password, and nothing in the domain as it grays out when I put in username@gmail.com.

But the sync fails. The phone connects to Windows Mobile Center in Vista but doesn't sync. Help? I'd really like my contacts imported into the new phone! :)

Thanks!

KueB 12-02-2009 03:25 AM

Quote:

I can't get it to work. Tell me what I am doing wrong. This is what I did:
1. Created folder Gmail under Program Files (main memory) after I added an IMAP account following the google link.
2. Unzipped the attached file in the above folder
3. Ran ImapPusher.exe file. Put a shortcut of that file into Startup folder.

I tried testing it by emailing myself and nothing happened. I had to hit Send/Receive manually. Also, none of my contacts nor calendar items synced. It didn't even ask anywhere to set it up. What steps do I need to take to fix this?

Thanks for your help.

BooDaddy 12-02-2009 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 1309729)
Maybe you all can help me. I set up activesync with using SSL, m.google.com, username@gmail.com, my password, and nothing in the domain as it grays out when I put in username@gmail.com.

But the sync fails. The phone connects to Windows Mobile Center in Vista but doesn't sync. Help? I'd really like my contacts imported into the new phone! :)

Thanks!

Make sure you dont have "tasks" set to sync. If Tasks are checked to sync (which they are by default) then OTA sync will fail. Hope that works!

WisdomWolfX 12-02-2009 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooDaddy (Post 1379141)
Make sure you dont have "tasks" set to sync. If Tasks are checked to sync (which they are by default) then OTA sync will fail. Hope that works!

Also if you've never used Google Calendar it will fail if you don't either uncheck calendar or setup a google calendar account. I discovered this when I setup Google Sync for my dad.

KueB 12-02-2009 12:06 PM

I didn't have tasks nor email set. However, I did have calendar checked. Once I removed it, I got my gmail contacts on my phone.

I have another problem. Now the phone shows that I have one new email but when I go to check them, there is nothing new in there. Do you know what could cause it? EDIT: I checked email in activesync to read that Tips/Tricks email. Then I deleted it and unchecked email in active sync. One problem solved.

Also, I'm still not receiving my emails immediately unless I manually hit Send/Receive.

By the way, when I ran .exe file with settings. I tried to run it again and it won't execute. Has anyone had this?

KueB 12-02-2009 12:56 PM

I deleted ImapPusher to start everything anew. However, now it won't execute. Is there a special way to delete it? I think some files are sitting somewhere.

Quote:

Run the ImapPusherService.exe file from your phone and put in your information.

What do you mean by "put in your information"?

SOHKis 12-03-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KueB (Post 1379861)
I deleted ImapPusher to start everything anew. However, now it won't execute. Is there a special way to delete it? I think some files are sitting somewhere.

What do you mean by "put in your information"?

you need to delete the settings.xml file, not the imappusherservice.exe

open the file and it will be quite obvious, all the information needed is labeled.

KueB 12-03-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOHKis (Post 1383188)
you need to delete the settings.xml file, not the imappusherservice.exe

open the file and it will be quite obvious, all the information needed is labeled.

I can't find settings.xml file anywhere on device or storage card. The only two files I found were settings.png and settings.html (which obviously do nothing). I hope I won't have to hard reset to fix this. Do you know the location of that file? Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious...