PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 05:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

Slack3r is keeping up the good workSlack3r is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using an old phone on my VZW account?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm not really sure about the whole subject, since I'm coming to Verizon from AT&T where I could just swap SIM cards.

I want to use an older phone on my account occasionally (Casio Gz'One Type V) whenever I think I might be going somewhere my phone wouldn't survive. The problem is, if I go to activate a new ESN ID, it asks me to change features. Would I get charged if I swapped them back and forth? I currently have my TP2 on a family plan with the $30 data. Would the data plan be able to be used on the Gz'One?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: RIP XV6700.... Goodbye XV6850.. Hello XV6875

Gesani is a n00b
Re: Using an old phone on my VZW account?

If you Do the swaps online they will not charge you for it. but you will have to change data plans as far as i know. The PDA plans are different then the Standard Phone plans.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

It'd be easier to just have a second line at that point if you'd be "changing" phones every few days.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesani View Post
If you Do the swaps online they will not charge you for it. but you will have to change data plans as far as i know. The PDA plans are different then the Standard Phone plans.
That's good to know, but I guess if that's the case then I'd just use it without a data plan, since the browser on there isn't very useful anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts View Post
It'd be easier to just have a second line at that point if you'd be "changing" phones every few days.
Not really, considering I would only be using this once in a while, and a new line is completely pointless since I want to keep the same number throughout the whole process...

I wish this was as easy as swapping SIM cards, damn I miss that.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: RHOD500
Carrier: VZW

vzwdts is keeping up the good workvzwdts is keeping up the good work

VZW does not charge PERIOD for ESN changes.

Depending on your plan, things can be easy or tricky when moving from a PDA to a dumbphone.

If you're on an America's Choice/Nationwide Basic or Select with an À la carte (29.99/44.99) data plan it'll be a piece of cake. Call in and do an ESN change to the Gz'One. Your data plan will fall off and be prorated. You will receive a credit for the days that you did not use the service on your next bill. When you put the PDA back on, the plan will go back on. Again, with a prorated amount for the days that it was actually active on the account.

If you're on a Nationwide PDA/Smartphone plan with an included data package, you must change to a normal calling plan on demand which will prorate your minute allotment and the monthly charges. Due to how confusing the bill ends up being and not having your full minute allotment, I wouldn't recommend this unless you absolutely need the Gz'One on there (i.e. the PDA is broken).
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzwdts View Post
VZW does not charge PERIOD for ESN changes.

Depending on your plan, things can be easy or tricky when moving from a PDA to a dumbphone.

If you're on an America's Choice/Nationwide Basic or Select with an À la carte (29.99/44.99) data plan it'll be a piece of cake. Call in and do an ESN change to the Gz'One. Your data plan will fall off and be prorated. You will receive a credit for the days that you did not use the service on your next bill. When you put the PDA back on, the plan will go back on. Again, with a prorated amount for the days that it was actually active on the account.

If you're on a Nationwide PDA/Smartphone plan with an included data package, you must change to a normal calling plan on demand which will prorate your minute allotment and the monthly charges. Due to how confusing the bill ends up being and not having your full minute allotment, I wouldn't recommend this unless you absolutely need the Gz'One on there (i.e. the PDA is broken).
That's exactly what I needed to hear, thanks.

I'm on the Nationwide Select with the $29.99 data plan, so this should be no problem then.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2