PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
3G vs WiFi - which does the VZW TP2 use when both are available?

I haven't seen this question addressed anywhere, and I'm just wondering if there is a defined strategy that the Verizon TP2 uses when it has both a 3G and a WiFi connection available.

The second question is whether the user can alter that strategy if it's not what they prefer.

I've seen some funky erratic behavior at times: e.g. it won't find or use a 3G connection after I leave an area where I was using WiFI, until I turn off WiFi, or other times it doesn't seem to see a WiFi connection that's available until I turn off the 3G Radio. These are not consistent behaviors, which is why I ask the question.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Re: 3G vs WiFi - which does the VZW TP2 use when both are available?

Anybody know?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6875

twostep is just getting started

I have a spotty Rev.A signal at home, so I usually turn on the WiFi when I want to browse the web. I don't know the logic of the connection choice, but I was downloading Google Maps yesterday, wifi connection present, but the phone insisted on using the data connection instead. I had to switch off the data connection (breaking push Gmail temporarily) to get the browser to use WiFi.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Exactly- that's precisely my situation as well, and the behavior that led me to post this question.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Just wanted to bump this up again, as I still don't have a clear understanding of how this works. I'm also not happy with my battery life, and this may be a factor. My home gets poor VZW signal, and is constantly switching between 1x and 3G.

I still find that if I randomly check, WiFi or Data Connection will be turned on or off.

I'm inclined to just turn off Data Connection manually when I'm home, and use my WiFI. If I do that, will the phone automatically turn it back on when I leave my home and WiFi?

I guess I wish there were some way to configure it so that it automatically turns off whichever data connection is not available.

And in a related matter - what exactly does the slider for WiFi do when you vary it between Performance and Battery Life?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Just wanted to bump this up again, as I still don't have a clear understanding of how this works. I'm also not happy with my battery life, and this may be a factor. My home gets poor VZW signal, and is constantly switching between 1x and 3G.

I still find that if I randomly check, WiFi or Data Connection will be turned on or off.

I'm inclined to just turn off Data Connection manually when I'm home, and use my WiFI. If I do that, will the phone automatically turn it back on when I leave my home and WiFi?

I guess I wish there were some way to configure it so that it automatically turns off whichever data connection is not available.

And in a related matter - what exactly does the slider for WiFi do when you vary it between Performance and Battery Life?
I know that if you leave your house and try to browse the internet, it will turn the data connection back on, but it won't turn off the wifi either. Since I use push Gmail, I just leave the data connection on and keep the charger nearby, turning on/off wifi as needed.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:22 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul, Vogue
Carrier: verizon

idagon is a n00b

I wonder if theres a way to turn off data when wifi is turned on and visa versa.
Can gprofile do this?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

marcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

This may be related to the design flaw of sharing the same adapter for both services. I contacted Sprint about the issue of not being able to have Wifi configured settings saved for use in the office, and then turn off wifi when I leave the office and use 3G. But they said I cant use both, or at least I cant use WiFi with static ip's. Eveyting has to be auto or dhcp. Major issue with me, totally unsecure. My company requires encryption on all personal wifi devices.

In your case the device should switch to 3G once "no available Wifi" service is in effect. Additionally I think the device should switch once a data request is made.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus_cruz View Post
This may be related to the design flaw of sharing the same adapter for both services. I contacted Sprint about the issue of not being able to have Wifi configured settings saved for use in the office, and then turn off wifi when I leave the office and use 3G. But they said I cant use both, or at least I cant use WiFi with static ip's. Eveyting has to be auto or dhcp. Major issue with me, totally unsecure. My company requires encryption on all personal wifi devices.

In your case the device should switch to 3G once "no available Wifi" service is in effect. Additionally I think the device should switch once a data request is made.
It does switch when leaving the range of the wifi router. I know that i've caught myself forgetting to turn off the wifi once i've left... and that would be a major drain on the battery.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Big Red

Herbal954 is keeping up the good workHerbal954 is keeping up the good work

not sure either, i would think that its gonna try to use wifi over 3g..especially if it finds a network that it routinely connects to. I aswell use my Wifi in the house and 3g on the go...sometimes i forget to turn wifi off but i cant say that ive noticed it connected or trying to connect to a different wifi network

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2