PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: hts touch
Carrier: sprint

Budster is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Batter Drain on Standby

Hello, I have been a “lurker” here for some time and this is my first post. I have recently got a Sprint TP2 about two weeks ago.
I think this is a great phone. I’m having a quirk that I’m not sure I should be concerned about concerning battery life. I have been playing with the phone a lot, an my first impression is that it has very good battery life for the amount of “playing” I have been doing; however, there seems to be some heavy drain when the phone is on “Standby” ; often I shut my phone down at night and boot it up the next day. A few times however, I have just left my phone on standby mode, with mostly a full charge, and tried to open up the screen some 12 -15 hours later and the battery was completely drained. I guess I’m asking; is this normal ? Is it possible I have something running in the background, or a setting on, to cause a heavier than normal drain when it’s on standby,? I have not added any applications other than appearance stuff such as clock- remove curtains and such.
Thanks much in advance for any solutions or response
Bud
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM
mutation9

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Battery Drain on Standby

Turn off all the auto updates... like the weather email and stocks... There are alot of things that update in the background.

Also, if you aren't using wifi, or 3g, I turn them off too.

The other day I had just less than 50% left, then a few hours later of being on stand by It was telling me I had a low battery. Once I changed everything to manual, then I haven't had any issues. With 2 bars left, I was playing online for over an hour on Wifi before the low battery warning came up. I hadn't charged the phone in 2 days at that point.

good luck.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Fittske knows their stuffFittske knows their stuffFittske knows their stuffFittske knows their stuffFittske knows their stuffFittske knows their stuffFittske knows their stuff
Re: Batter Drain on Standby

Might want to try a hard reset. I had an issue with "tmail.exe" using up a lot of CPU usage. It was constantly running in the background. After a fresh hard reset, and the disabling of all the background updating crap, I get great battery life. i can usually go from 7AM to about midnight and my battery is usually around 35-40% left. This is a fully day of push exchange email, some sling box, using the phone as an MP3 player for about 2hrs at the gem several phone calls and tons of text messaging.

I recommend you grab one of the free battery monitoring programs, and MemMaid. The Battery monitor will let you know if your battery is draining hat a high rate. Here is what I have observerd when monitoring my battery:
My battery usually idles at around 50-70mA with the back light off.
with back light on no programs running: 130 to 150 mA
with activesync in use (Sending and receiving) 250mA
with MP3's playing (back light off): 250mA
with Opera/sling box running: 325 to 425mA

Hopes this helps.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:06 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

kilthro is a n00b

Also have you chaged the mode in phone to CDMA only. It defaults to world which is GSM and CDMA.. My battery drained really fast in the world mode.
I changed it to CDMA only and my battery after full day of use and playing around with the phone is at 45-60%. that is playing around and taking a few calls and a full day from 6 am - 7pm.. I get about 75 texts a day and approx 100 emails..
Old 09-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: hts touch
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

Budster is a n00b

I want to thank all for quick replies. You all gave me some very helpful suggestions to resolve this.
Thanks much again!
Old 09-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilthro View Post
Also have you chaged the mode in phone to CDMA only. It defaults to world which is GSM and CDMA.. My battery drained really fast in the world mode.
I changed it to CDMA only and my battery after full day of use and playing around with the phone is at 45-60%. that is playing around and taking a few calls and a full day from 6 am - 7pm.. I get about 75 texts a day and approx 100 emails..
Interesting... I keep mine in World mode and haven't had a problem, but now I'm wondering if I'd save any life by switching.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:53 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

kilthro is a n00b

I noticed a big difference in my battery life. Granted depending where you are located, your phone may not be swapping in between the two technologies as much as other areas.. so ymmv on the tweak. within 2 hrs I was down to 50% with it on world mode and with very little use...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2