PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 04:21 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Easiest way to get CAB files to your PPC, in my opinion

If you are like me, in that you are doing a LOT of reading and some downloading of cabs, there have been a lot of ways suggested as to how to get them on your phone, from Activsync, pulling the memory card, bluetooth, wifi, etc. I find it so much easier to just email them, usually in batches considering how small they are, to myself. Then when the email get to my phone, I save them to Storage Card>Program Files.

There are no connections to make, and you can email them one at a time, for ones you are especially anxious to install, to a bunch of them at a time for silly stuff you'll probably mostly toss after a while.

This strategy works perfectly with my procedure of, on a heavy "phone programming night", of backing up after each few changes using SPB.

Just thought I'd present another way of doing things, not that it's better, but I find it easier
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

regression is keeping up the good workregression is keeping up the good work
Re: Easiest way to get CAB files to your PPC, in my opinion

I sometimes do the same, but mostly I stick the cabs on my ftp site. I then use Total Commander to connect to my ftp site and download what I need. That also gives me an additional backup location for my cabs.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon / HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

Protonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to Protonus Send a message via AIM to Protonus Send a message via MSN to Protonus Send a message via Yahoo to Protonus

Actually a much easier / direct way IMHO, which is certainly much "cooler" especially for your friends to see, is a QR / 2D barcode generator and a photo recognition software reader for the phone. 2D barcodes can hold a lot of information, and are more then enough to store a URL. This is already popular in other countries, to stick QR codes on all sorts of things so you can lookup info on it on your phone etc. So you generate a QR code on the PC, then use the camera on the phone with recognition software to read it off your monitor, and the phone can then launch your browser and download it for you. Much faster then email / hotsync, etc... There are many ways to generate a QR code and several reader applications for WinMo, but the following is the setup I use that I find works best on the Touch Pro 2.

1.) Download the "Mobile Barcoder" Plugin for Firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2780
This is a great plugin. At the bottom of any webpage, is a box icon that if you put your mouse on it, it will generate a QR code of the current page. But even more useful, if you right click any Link, there will be a "Create Barcode from Link" option that you can select that will generate a QR code of the link! That means if you want to download a cab or file, just right click it's download link, and you can get a direct URL barcode to that file. You can also select a block of text and right click / generate a code from that too. TO make recognizing barcodes quicker/easier for the phone, I suggest you go into the Add On's options for Mobile Barcoder, and set the barcode size to Extra Large. With this, and my 100" 1280x720p DLP Projector, I can recognize QR codes easily from my couch 10 feet away with my phone, which just looks really cool. But any monitor will work even at a few feet.
2.) Next you need a reader. The best I've tried for the TouchPro2 at least, is Quickmark. I-nigma is another but doesn't seem to play well with this phone. Download Quickmark here:
http://www.quickmark.cn/En/basic/download.asp
You'll have to register to download it but ya, it's great. Once you got it installed, just point the camera at the barcode and wham, you'll get the URL or whatever you generated the code for! Just push Access, it opens opera and downloads the file. So simple!
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:12 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

In a word...."wow". Interpret that how you will QR / 2D barcode certainly sounds cool, and I can see how it would impress anyone watching, but I can't believe it's quicker. You're also making the assumption that the file you're retrieving is at the end of a link somewhere e.g. on a website. How about just transferring files that are on your PC to your phone? Either way, cool and novel idea.

Personally since my TP2 I now use nothing but BT. I used to use ActiveSync, or take my SD card out and pop into into my laptop, but the new BT software on the TP2 is so simple and reliable, for sending and getting files, that I find my self actually transferring things I might not have bothered with in the past too. Now we won't go into the BT issues with headsets, because that's a totally different story

OP: Thanks for the e-mail tip though. I've never really considered that before. Would work really well too if you're on a different computer at the time too e.g. that you don't have an ActiveSync or BT option with.

Last edited by CovKid66; 09-25-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

I am lazy. I created a folder named "CAB" on the card and copy them over there. When a change is made to a file, I test it and if it is ok I then copy it to that folder. I use Bluetooth due to an extreme dislike for cables.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:49 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

JulieB is becoming a great contributor

Some e-mail servers are configured to block attachments with .cab files as spam. You may need to zip up the file or change the extension to something that's not blocked.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

gpshemi is becoming a great contributor

I just hit explore in the active sync menu and drag them over to the phone window. Am I missing something? How much easier can it get than that?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:56 PM
AKA TEMPERBAD
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2/ N1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

or ya can just download them straight to ya phone using ya phone like me....lol ive never used my pc to download any files, but i do transfer files from my phone too the pc... so emailing them may work great for that part...
Old 09-25-2009, 02:23 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

USB in > Disk Drive > Copy over files.

10 seconds. done.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Thanks for the Firefox barcode idea. I'll probably be using that a lot.

For a bit of my cab files, I will go to pocketpcfreeware.mobi and it's a nice and easy download from there

Otherwise, if I download them on my PC, I'm using netuse or Total Commander to access my shared folders via my wireless network and I can copy and paste the cabs to my PPC. Or just run the cabs even though they are still on my PC

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2