PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 11:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

JaedenRuiner is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Power Button Ceases to Work...

Okay,
SO this is just pissing me off. My phone (tp2) died. I mean really died, and they sent me a new one. I use sprite backup to restore my contacts, and email accounts. That's it, no system stuff, so once sprite is installed and my data is restored, the Application list is Sprite Backup and nothing else.

I proceed to install:
Total Commander
Advance Config 3.3
HTC Task Manager (for the quick menu on Today Screen)
tarkim Keyboard Configuration
Cookies Home Tab
CHT Editor

And then the Power button won't turn OFF or ON the phone. It ceases to work. I reboot, get to home screen, hit the power button, and nothing happens. I hold the damn button in for 20 minutes and still NOTHING HAPPENS.

Frankly, that is just a sign of the WORST mechanics ever. I mean, it's the POWER BUTTON! IT Should NEVER fail to work. Any idea's why? Suggestions? I mean, the above is ALL i've installed on top of the default Sprint TP2 Rom. And I know that the overall setup should work, because my last TP2 (before it died) had these and countless other apps installed and it never had this problem. (of course until it died).

Since my replacement has arrived I have had to flash the rom (clear storage) 3 times and start again because the damn thing just won't work right.

Help please, because I want my phone back the way I had it (mentally challenged as it was) but I can't get there when ever other time I install and application it screws up the power button.

Thanks
Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner
Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Power Button Ceases to Work...

Try uninstalling tarkim Keyboard Configuration and see if that fixes it. Maybe you installed the GSM version by accident. If you use a version not for your device, it will mess up your hardkeys as it contains a modified keypad.dll (which makes all physical buttons work).
Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive

elcapo24682 is becoming a great contributor

Or u can install a custom rom like vin's neodium. The stock 6.5 rom is extremely buggy and may be the reason for ur issues. Even the stock 6.1 rom is more reliable and stable than the stock 6.5 so that's another alternative if u don't want to flash a custom rom so try that and if there's still a problem then u may need to contact sprint for another replacement
Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapo24682 View Post
Or u can install a custom rom like vin's neodium. The stock 6.5 rom is extremely buggy and may be the reason for ur issues. Even the stock 6.1 rom is more reliable and stable than the stock 6.5 so that's another alternative if u don't want to flash a custom rom so try that and if there's still a problem then u may need to contact sprint for another replacement
The power button works just fine on the stock 6.5 ROM... I don't know why you are always trying to say that it is so buggy. I'd bet many of the custom ROMs here use OEMDrivers from the Sprint 6.5 ROM. It's not like there's anyone here writing new ones.

If it works before installing anything, it's something the OP is doing and has nothing to do with the ROM. From the description, I'm almost positive it's the keypad.dll he is installing. As soon as he restores the ROM version (either deleting keypad.dll from /windows or uninstalling keyboard remapper) and soft resets, the power button will probably work just fine. If it is indeed a wrong keypad.dll, it doesn't matter which ROM he has on his phone as the result will still be the same.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:59 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

JaedenRuiner is a n00b

Ahh,
Okay, the install file is "RhodiumKbdControl_CDMA.cab" which installs the tarKim Keyboard Controller. I have deduced that this was the culprit, because this last time I have not installed it at all and so far the phone is working great.
However, I am confused by this, since this is the exact same CAB I had installed on my previous TP2, so why it would lock up this one, I do not know.

One difference though, is that I've noticed with this phone upon initial boot up, it mentions a "SIM Card Detected, switching to Global Mode". Which I do not remember from my last TP2, even though it had the same SIM card.

I have had the hardest time trying to verify in the "ppc" community with these devices locking down exactly what kind of phone is what. GSM vs CDMA, as those monikers are present in multiple places. like Advanced Networking sends SMS Service over GSM. Is that the same GSM or another?
I have been wanting to try some of the alternate ROMs out there, reading reviews and other such things, but they are rather confusing for someone who likes things simple. Some say i have to run some form of Unlocker first, others say I don't, etc, etc, etc.
The only reason, though, that I used this Keyboard configurator is because I miss the "CTRL" button from my TP1. I'm a Windows guy, and Ctrl+C,V,X works in all apps, as well as ctrl+arrow keys for moving faster. Typing in something and then going ctrl+shift+arrow will highlight words ass opposed to have to default to the touch screen and stylus to highlight larger chunks of data.
If there were another way to remap the "email" and "sms" keys on the keyboard, I'd take it.
Thanks for the pointers on the install process and maybe one of these days I have it all figured out. :P
Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner
Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint/Boost

Kris443 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKris443 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKris443 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

, did you also try to hold down the hangup button for 5 secs - some releases use that instead of the top button to puwer down.

If I helped... Please hit the THANKS button!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

daunove is a n00b

Same thing happened to me - I reinstalled Keyboard Config after a hard reset, and power button wouldn't work and keyboard config wouldn't launch. Make sure you install SDKcerts before you install the Keyboard Config .cab - that worked for me.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2