PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 02:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

bstan is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ActiveSync with Gmail for push email support

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/200...l-support.html

Right now everyone is killing google's servers, so don't expect this to work just yet.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

silverkorn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsilverkorn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsilverkorn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsilverkorn is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: ActiveSync with Gmail for push email support

i was able to get it working for my TP2 but noticed the battery life suffered quite a bit. So im going to stick with IMAP Gmail for now.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

bstan is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkorn View Post
i was able to get it working for my TP2 but noticed the battery life suffered quite a bit. So im going to stick with IMAP Gmail for now.

Interesting. How long did you test this for, this feature was just released today. I can't imagine why this would take any more battery life than a regular exchange server. On my Samsung i760 I noticed little decrease in battery life with exchange. I haven't been using exchange on my TP2 though.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

I use Exchange sync with my TP2 and I also use IMAP to another personal domain (10 minute checks) and I get amazing battery life.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

silverkorn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsilverkorn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsilverkorn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsilverkorn is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstan View Post
Interesting. How long did you test this for, this feature was just released today. I can't imagine why this would take any more battery life than a regular exchange server. On my Samsung i760 I noticed little decrease in battery life with exchange. I haven't been using exchange on my TP2 though.
i was testing it for about 2-3 hours today and noticed a 10% drop in battery life with it only receiving two test emails. I was going to give it 24 hours to fully test it but for me the IMAP version of Gmail is all i really need. I Sync my phone with my computer at work, without an Exchange Server, so i wouldnt need the Google Contact and Calendar sync just yet.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

eldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good work

So this actually goes through activesync or a third party program?

Phone

Sprint
PPC-6600

Verizon
Samsumg i760
HTC VX6800 - Mogul
HTC VX6850 - Touch Pro
HTC VX6875 - Touch Pro 2

Feathered Access -
Free Live Mobile Television On The Go!
http://featheredaccess.com
Old 09-22-2009, 03:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersoul View Post
So this actually goes through activesync or a third party program?
it uses the activesync on the phone to connect to Google's servers

How to here: http://www.google.com/support/mobile...36&topic=14299
Old 09-22-2009, 03:21 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

tmwes is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
I use Exchange sync with my TP2 and I also use IMAP to another personal domain (10 minute checks) and I get amazing battery life.
Exact same setup here (and what I had on my TP1), and the battery life is tremendous.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

regression is keeping up the good workregression is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkorn View Post
i was testing it for about 2-3 hours today and noticed a 10% drop in battery life with it only receiving two test emails. I was going to give it 24 hours to fully test it but for me the IMAP version of Gmail is all i really need. I Sync my phone with my computer at work, without an Exchange Server, so i wouldnt need the Google Contact and Calendar sync just yet.
I noticed when I was testing the ActiveSync sync was running almost continuously in the background, ie, almost constantly in the process of syncing. Do you known if it was doing that on yours? That would likely be the cause of battery drain. I am hoping this is because everyone is hitting the server at once (like one poster said) and causing overload.

I plan on testing again later today or tomorrow after the initial surge is over. Maybe battery life will be better then.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by regression View Post
I noticed when I was testing the ActiveSync sync was running almost continuously in the background, ie, almost constantly in the process of syncing. Do you known if it was doing that on yours? That would likely be the cause of battery drain. I am hoping this is because everyone is hitting the server at once (like one poster said) and causing overload.

I plan on testing again later today or tomorrow after the initial surge is over. Maybe battery life will be better then.
that might very well be the reason for the battery drain as i noticed it took a couple minutes to receive the email AFTER i got the notification through Gmail Notifier on my desktop computer. I will wait a week or so for it to die out a little and give it another shot/

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2