PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 09:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

ppc_dude is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PPTP VPN & Verizon

Is Verizon blocking PPTP connections? I am trying to connect to a m0n0wall based router using PPTP, and I am able to do this over the WiFi connection, but when I turn WiFi off, with the intention to connect over 3G, I almost instantly get an error saying that I need to edit my settings.

The PPTP server doesn't show an attempt being made whenever on 3G, so the only thing I can think of is that there is some sort of configuration issue which prevents PPTP from working over a 3G connection, or VZ is blocking PPTP connections.

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

I am just trying to find a way of getting to some of my remote servers. With LogMeIn not being compatible with this phone, and PPTP not working right, I'm running out of options
Old 09-19-2009, 10:39 PM
VIP Duck
Pocket PC: RAPHAEL / TOPAZ / RHODIUM

NinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the community
Re: PPTP VPN & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppc_dude View Post
Is Verizon blocking PPTP connections? I am trying to connect to a m0n0wall based router using PPTP, and I am able to do this over the WiFi connection, but when I turn WiFi off, with the intention to connect over 3G, I almost instantly get an error saying that I need to edit my settings.

The PPTP server doesn't show an attempt being made whenever on 3G, so the only thing I can think of is that there is some sort of configuration issue which prevents PPTP from working over a 3G connection, or VZ is blocking PPTP connections.

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

I am just trying to find a way of getting to some of my remote servers. With LogMeIn not being compatible with this phone, and PPTP not working right, I'm running out of options
I have set this up. It does not dial automatically. You need to define your VPN and then define the url exception that causes it to dial. It is kind of crazy, but you will need a URL.

I did not have one, so I just put an IP address in the list and then open up a web browser and make the request... VPN connected.

There might be a better way, but I have yet to find it.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:39 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

ppc_dude is a n00b

Doing it that way did allow me to establish the PPTP session, but my firewall logs are showing that the RDP request is coming from the public Verizon IP address, while the HTTP attempt was coming from the assigned PPTP address, so something isn't right.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppc_dude View Post
Doing it that way did allow me to establish the PPTP session, but my firewall logs are showing that the RDP request is coming from the public Verizon IP address, while the HTTP attempt was coming from the assigned PPTP address, so something isn't right.
I would add your server IP to the exceptions list also.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:50 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

ppc_dude is a n00b

Yea, that's what mike mentioned as well. I did do this, and after doing that, I can establish the PPTP session, but that's about it. As long as the RDP packets appear to be coming from the VZ network, and not the PPTP assigned IP address, I don't think I can get this to work.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Almost a VIP

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

For what it's worth I've heard that this doesn't work on any of the TP2's, so I don't think it's unique to Verizon.

Have you played around with the Select Networks option in the Advanced Connections settings. There's an option to choose which network is used for private networks vs. public networks. Once the VPN is up, if the RDP is connecting to a private IP address, that might force it to go through the PPTP tunnel based on how you've set the private network settings. I use a different VPN otherwise I'd test this myself. But like I said, I talked to someone the other day that say they couldn't get this to work at all on any TP2.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:51 AM
"MODS"
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level

Just curious, how is LogMeIn not compatible with this phone? In what way?

~My Ultimate WVGA Wallpapers Collection~
Donations accepted not expected!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Almost a VIP

I think LogMeIn is fine if you follow this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...hlight=logmein

It's the PPTP/L2TP functionality that seems to be screwed up.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:42 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

ppc_dude is a n00b

About logmein, my main issue is not being able to use the physical keyboard (which was my biggest reason for going with the TP2).

As for PPTP, I did look at Advanced Connection settings, which is set to use the work connection for private IP addresses, but unless it doesn't know 10.* is a private IP address, I don't know what else I can do.

Thanks for all the responses so far tho, I'll keep playing around, while looking for better (but affordable) VPN software.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung i760
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

dweebdude is a n00b

Just bumping this as it's still a problem...any ideas anyone?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2