PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 11:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

Ender519 is keeping up the good workEnder519 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy HELP! Problems with Exchange activesync and attachments??? [+VIDEO]

I am having the most bizarre problem with a brand new out of the box Verizon TP2, with trying to sync Exchange 2007 email w/ attachments. I have had the same email account on the same Exchange server for a couple of years, and this account worked fine with VZW TP1 and the Samsung i760 before it.

I have installed nothing on the TP2, in fact all I've done is go through the HTC setup wizard. I chose not to setup Exchange using the HTC wizard and instead opted for going to Activesync and going to Add Server Source like normal.

I added email, checked the box for download attachments, and the one below it to download only 250KB and under.

What happens is while syncing, all the email comes through ok, but then when it gets to attachments, a lot of the time it tries to display the attachment in another window.. a lot of the time this results in a blank window with a bunch of garbled text that I press OK on and then it moves to the next attachment. It will NOT continue the sync process until I press OK. Usually within the next attachment or two I get the window yet again and have to press OK. I have hundreds of attachments.. so you can imagine this gets quite annoying.

I have tried hard resetting a couple of times and I get identical results. So my choices are to not be able to receive attachments, or to not be able to have my email up to date, not to mention the time and annoyance of pressing OK through most of the attachments.

I took an AVI video of what it's doing with MyMobiler because I know this is hard to articulate in words.. The video is after all the emails have downloaded and the attachments are being sync'd. About 30-40 seconds in, on attachment 93/213 you see a screen full of gibberish that is part of an attachment.. I have to press OK.. then on attachment 94/213 it does the same thing.. I paused for a bit here to show you it will not continue until you press OK.

I called Verizon, they had no clue and pointed to HTC. HTC Support had no clue and has escalated it to Tier 2. *sigh*

Anyone else seeing this?
Attached Files
File Type: zip HTC_TP2_Exchange_Attachments_Fail.zip (2.14 MB, 3 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by Ender519; 09-15-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:13 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Re: HELP! Problems with Exchange activesync and attachments??? [+VIDEO]

This is a really long shot. Have you tried syncing only the first 3 days' worth of email first (with no attachments), then go back in later and do the rest? For some weird reason, whenever I set Activesync to download all messages the first time I set it up after a hard reset, it *always* fails. I've gotten in the habit of just leaving it at the default 3 days to start, then going in after it finishes and modifying the settings to pull down the rest and the attachments.

Like I said, long shot, but...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well the thing is, I've done 2 weeks at a time forever, and it has always worked before. I did try 3 days but the same thing is happening with the attachments.

This is pretty basic functionality... downloading email w/ attachments through activesync.. If this really is "just how it works" that is a pretty big blow for usability.

I'm also finding I'm having problems getting Activesync to stay synced at all.. I'm having to manually sync to pull emails in from over an hour ago right now, since the phone has sat unattended all night.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

northernpenguin is keeping up the good worknorthernpenguin is keeping up the good work

Well that's not how it is 'supposed' to work.
Here's a thought though - if you have a memory card, Windows Phones like to store the attachments over there, as they tend to be much, much larger than the internal memory.

If you have a bad MicroSD .... all kinds of fun can ensue, so try yanking out the memory card for your next test
Old 09-16-2009, 10:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

With SD card removed and after hard reset.. same thing.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

What if you get rid of that bad attachment, #93 (the first bad one, if I read your OP right)? Maybe it's causing something weird. You could try moving the message to a non-synced folder temporarily and see if the issue continues on the next attachment.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2