PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   cell signal issues with vzn tp2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=84993)

jhalsey205 09-15-2009 06:27 PM

cell signal issues with vzn tp2

Is anyone having cell signal issues? I moved from a moto q9 napoleon and never had any signal issues; i.e.alway getting evdo signal while in my home, but now with the tp2, i spend most of my time with a 1x signal. And this (1x signal) negatively impacts my battery life.

The better question - is there a fix or solution?

Thanks

John

stanglifemike 09-15-2009 06:32 PM

Re: cell signal issues with vzn tp2

I dont have any issues, same signal as my TP. Have you tried dialing the*228 and then option 2?

g00s3y 09-15-2009 06:45 PM

I know I sound like a verizon rep but try *228 and see what happens if you haven't already. With my TP1 when I went on vacation to the poconos I was roaming and barely picking up a signal. After doing *228 and updating I was no longer roaming and had full bars.

jhalsey205 09-15-2009 07:32 PM

yep - *228 option 2 twice - but not improvement

GeoT100 09-15-2009 08:43 PM

I actually just went through this. I too was having the 1x all the time. I saw this thread and tried the *228 option 2. Didnt work. So just for the hell of it I did *228 option 1, and viola! full 3g bars. I just re activated it..... Try it out ....hope it helps

kdonahue 09-15-2009 09:01 PM

Second *228 option 1 attempt was the charm for me. I had done option 2 then called again and did an option 1 but no joy. Soft reset, even got in the car and drove a couple miles down the road and it wouldn't switch over to 3G even though showing 4 bars of 1X. Saw the thread and tried the *228, 1 again and it worked!

8notime 09-15-2009 09:34 PM

Dial ##DEBUG then Talk, then check the AN/AAA Authenticated authentication value in the HDR screen. Does it say 1=Authenticated or is it a bunch of ## - ## -## -## -##?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhalsey205 (Post 1168141)
i.e.alway getting evdo signal while in my home, but now with the tp2, i spend most of my time with a 1x signal.

cpederson-ddmi 09-15-2009 10:01 PM

The solution to your coverage issue is one that Verizon doesnt freely suggest unless you ask for it. Simply call Verizon at 1-800-922-0204 or *611 from your phone. Speak to any representative, and explain that you would like to have the "Hybrid PRL" activated on your account. This allows you to roam off both Verizon and Alltel Networks as PRIMARY, thus increasing your coverage. We have done this for over 700 numbers on our account now, and have had nothing but positive feedback. This is a FREE service, however will take the tech 24-48 hours to push the update out to your phone. Once its done, whatever you do, DONT DIAL *228 and update your coverage, as this will pull the update off the phone. Please feel free to confirm this with any verizon agent, or visit your nearest store, they should be able to pull up the email that was sent to all stores about 3 weeks ago.

- Cj

cpederson-ddmi 09-15-2009 10:05 PM

One more thing, This works for ALL Verizon Phones currently available and ones that are within the past 2 years, not just Smart Phones. Older phones that are on 1x network only (such as the VX5500 series) do not require this update, as they are programmed to roam on any tower they can reach. Once Verizon completes the merger with Alltel in Mid October to early November (Hopefully), this update will become part of the *228, option 2 push.

jhalsey205 09-16-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8notime (Post 1168594)
Dial ##DEBUG then Talk, then check the AN/AAA Authenticated authentication value in the HDR screen. Does it say 1=Authenticated or is it a bunch of ## - ## -## -## -##?

AN / AAA Authenticated says "1 = Authenticated"

I also just *228 option 1 (re-programing the phone), and thus far, i am maintain 3G (evdo) signal.

The above said, when I compare the radio signal strength on TP2 and my wife's Q9 Napoleon (A4500), the Napoleon seems to hold an edge - typically showing one more bar. Regardless, I seem to be holding strong with 3G.

I will call VZN customer service in the morning and request the "Hybrid PRL" activated as well.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

John