PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 02:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700 / 6900 / TP2
Carrier: Sprint

badb4c is keeping up the good workbadb4c is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: USB Charging Cradle For CDMA Touch Pro2

Mine will sync and charge. They are like 5 bucks on ebay. Cant complain..
Old 04-18-2010, 02:47 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

yep, I get an error if I plug too many things into my 4way usb splitter saying it can't charge certain devices.
It charges my bluetooth headset and my wife's instint s30 fine, but the tp2 it says it can't handle. you might try switching which usb port you are plugged into and move it to a primary one if not on it already.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium)

Tybalt39 is keeping up the good workTybalt39 is keeping up the good work

There's a thought. As a last resort you could try a powered USB hub and use an external power supply to provide the additional power needed to charge the phone while still maintaining your activesync connection.
PDA w/TTS (NAVTEQ 2009 Q4 maps) WVGA
HTC Mobile WiFi Router (under Comm Manager)
Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

mxcrowe is a n00b

I'll go thru the same charging process using the supplied TP2 cable with various USB ports on my confuser and see if that makes any difference - will report back.
So far, my 'ultimate' solution' is to just buy a whopper power strip with plenty of separation between plugs. Just looking around my workstation here, I have 13 things plugged in! Cripes, I need my own nuclear reactor...
Thanks guys.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:32 PM
N00b

variance is keeping up the good workvariance is keeping up the good work

Old TP1 Dock + Dremel Tool on the "filled in" plastic on the right side = TP2 Dock.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

ON charging multiple devices off a hub from a SINGLE USB port from your computer...its a simple electrical thing. You get the voltage...but NOT the charging amps (milliamps I guess in this case.) If you use a hub, I'd suggest use a powered one...so its not drawing from your computer's USB port.

On charging dock (usb type) I'm using Seidio's and it works with a naked TP2 as well as one that is cased in a Seido case. Love it!!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium)

Tybalt39 is keeping up the good workTybalt39 is keeping up the good work

From Wikipedia's entry on USB power:

Power

The USB 1.x and 2.0 specifications provide a 5 V supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.75 V (5 V±5%) between the positive and negative bus power lines. For USB 2.0 the voltage supplied by low-powered hub ports is 4.4 V to 5.25 V.[33]
A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and was raised to 150 mA in USB 3.0. A maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) can be drawn from a port in USB 2.0, which was raised to 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0. There are two types of devices: low-power and high-power. Low-power devices draw at most 1 unit load, with minimum operating voltage of 4.4 V in USB 2.0, and 4 V in USB 3.0. High-power devices draw the maximum number of unit loads supported by the standard. All devices default as low-power but the device's software may request high-power as long as the power is available on the providing bus.[34]
A bus-powered hub is initialized at 1 unit load and transitions to maximum unit loads after hub configuration is obtained. Any device connected to the hub will draw 1 unit load regardless of the current draw of devices connected to other ports of the hub (i.e. one device connected on a four-port hub will only draw 1 unit load despite the fact that all unit loads are being supplied to the hub).[34]

What they are saying is that you may only have 100ma available on each USB port (not enough to charge the phone). If you are only using one port per hub, then you may have the full 500ma available. Keep in mind there are internal hubs in the PC (check out your device manager if you doubt this).

So, if you are using one of your front-panel USB ports for something else, don't use another for charging the phone. Same with the back-panel ports. I usually use all back-panel ports for everything else, and only one front-panel port for charging devices. Even then, only one specific port up front will actually charge the device. You can sometimes see a special USB logo showing the USB icon with a solid/dashed line below it. This indicates a powered port.

This is also why some 2.5" external hard drives require a separate power adapter on some computers/ports but not others.

Last edited by Tybalt39; 04-19-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
N00b

mxcrowe is a n00b

All makes sense Tybalt, but my Fuze charged fine from the USB ports (both back and front) and my Zune also seems to have no trouble getting a full charge. I used the same USB port for the TP2 as I always use for the Zune - very different outcome. My next charge test is to use the TP2 cable from that same port and see what happens.

For those trying to use your old cradle, make sure the shape is correct, not just the jack position. Mine is perfectly flat and square to hold the Fuze...will not work well for the rounded TP2.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I have some cords that limit the charge to a trickle.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: vista
Carrier: at&t

PC-Boyy is a n00b

Here is CDMA version for sprint, verizon, us cellular, telus:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATTERY-CHARGER-...item518e5deb1c

nakedcellphone also has several extended batteries - make sure you get the right version - they have different batteries and cradles for cdma vs gsm

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2