PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

mwrood is keeping up the good workmwrood is keeping up the good workmwrood is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS on Verizon Touch Pro 2

hello all...im sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but ive looked pretty thoroughly in this forum and havent been able to find an answer...i will be receiving my TP2 on Verizon in a couple days and was wondering if sum1 could explain to me step by step how to get the GPS to work (not using VZW navigation)..also, can sum1 please recommend sum free and useful GPS programs so i can get the most out of my Touch Pro 2...again, sorry if this has been posted before but i wasnt able to find the answer i was looking for...thanks in advance
Old 09-14-2009, 06:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TouchPro2

IGGUS is keeping up the good workIGGUS is keeping up the good work
Re: GPS on Verizon Touch Pro 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrood View Post
hello all...im sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but ive looked pretty thoroughly in this forum and havent been able to find an answer...i will be receiving my TP2 on Verizon in a couple days and was wondering if sum1 could explain to me step by step how to get the GPS to work (not using VZW navigation)..also, can sum1 please recommend sum free and useful GPS programs so i can get the most out of my Touch Pro 2...again, sorry if this has been posted before but i wasnt able to find the answer i was looking for...thanks in advance
There are definitely a few threads covering this. Verizon GPS should work outta the box but if like mine, not well. Most recently I clarified in another thread how to get GPS working pretty smoothly every time. See the following post which, with the huge help of IIIboredIII's work you should be off and running.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=27

As for free GPS progs, GoogleMaps and MS Live are good, I use TomTom ($) which is good, talks to you turn by turn, etc.

Good luck and arm yourself with that search button!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:48 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

i thought the issue for VZW was u just need to goto phone>menu>options>cdma services>location>and turn it on.. its off by default for some reason...

or did VZW really lock gps out of their TP2 rom, right after they gave it TP1 users??? thats stupid if that the case
Old 09-14-2009, 07:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TouchPro2

IGGUS is keeping up the good workIGGUS is keeping up the good work

When I first took the phone out of the box, installing GoogleMaps and trying GPS was one of the first things I did. I never had GPS in a phone (most recent was my 6700) and my g/f's TP1 (Sprint hardware on VZW) worked reasonably well. Anyway GM found my position and a few satellites almost instantly when standing still, but when driving stunk, losing the signal, etc.

Before doing a hard reset I tried the method as posted/linked above and it works great. To the best of my knowledge the Start Menu setting you referred to is only for AGPS which is all based off cell towers, hence the 'within 900 meters' etc.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:15 PM
boostedbanana is VIP!!
Pocket PC: Supercharged EVO with 3000mah of boost!!
Carrier: Sprint

stanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIP

SHould work outta the box, mine did. If not just turn location instead of 911. Make sure your programs are the same as your GPS, "Com 4" for example

Modding phones and modding Mustangs..
My white Evo with a black battery door is SEXY!!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
i thought the issue for VZW was u just need to goto phone>menu>options>cdma services>location>and turn it on.. its off by default for some reason...
That's correct.

Quote:
or did VZW really lock gps out of their TP2 rom, right after they gave it TP1 users??? thats stupid if that the case
Not at all. I just drove a 175 mile rode trip using Garmin & it worked great.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2