PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 08:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC 6800
Carrier: Sprint

AVakil is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Warranty on TP2 -- Is it worth it?

Hey All,

I got the TP2, and I am considering getting the warranty with the hopes that in two years I will get upgraded to a new phone via the warranty. Is it worth it from your experience? I have the $30/mo SERO plan. I know extended warranties are generally a rip off to the consumer and a huge area of profit for retailers.

Thoughts?

Last edited by AVakil; 09-11-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: changed title to be more descriptive
Old 09-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx
Re: Warranty on TP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVakil View Post
Hey All,

I got the TP2, and I am considering getting the warranty with the hopes that in two years I will get upgraded to a new phone via the warranty. Is it worth it from your experience? I have the $30/mo SERO plan. I know extended warranties are generally a rip off to the consumer and a huge area of profit for retailers.

Thoughts?
i have gone through 5 touch pro's due to the refurbished one suck!
I would definately get the warrenty, it has saved my butt a few times
Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

AVakil is a n00b

Did they eventually upgrade you to the TP2?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

SecretAgentMan is keeping up the good workSecretAgentMan is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Speaking from a Verizon perspective, it's probably gonna take more than two years to exhaust the supply of replacements. Some get lucky, but most don't.

You still need the insurance, imo. I have the plan that covers damage/loss (Assurion) AND extended warranty. I went through three XV6800's (Titans) in 18 months. Without the extended warranty, I would have had to pay for at least one of the replacements.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

land2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to land2634

Quote:
Not yet. The TP2 has only been out for... a week. If you're considering getting insurance as an upgrade plan, here's some better advice: Instead of spending $7 a month on insurance, set that $7 aside for when you're ready to upgrade. The warehouses stock refurbished devices, and some people are just now getting their old 6700's replaced with something else, over 3 years after the fact. TEP wasn't meant to be an upgrade plan, and while it's possible you could get an upgrade, you'll more than likely be disappointed if that's your reasoning for getting it.

That being said, for mere protection for the things that happen, go with TEP, just not as your plan for upgrading.

Forums and columns for all sports fans!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

AVakil is a n00b
Re: Warranty on TP2 -- Is it worth it?

Yeah - I did the math and if over the years I had set aside $7 a month for every phone I have had, I would have been in the hole. I haven't lost/damaged a phone yet (knock on wood), i dropped my mogul all the time, but it had a hard case around it...

I know it's more of a piece of mind issue than anything else. I figure most think, hell I'm paying $30/mo for a phone, might as well get the warranty at only $7/mo
Old 09-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Mobileunderground.info

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

They have not send me a touch pro 2, but with the warrenty, if you go through more than 3 phones in i think it is 90 days, they will let you switch to another phone. They dont advertise this or promote it, since they loose money from it, but its one thing having a warrenty does for you. I am going to try and get my touch pro 2 this way since they have been sending me refurbs that come in worst shape than the original phone.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Mobileunderground.info

Quote:
Originally Posted by land2634 View Post
Not yet. The TP2 has only been out for... a week. If you're considering getting insurance as an upgrade plan, here's some better advice: Instead of spending $7 a month on insurance, set that $7 aside for when you're ready to upgrade. The warehouses stock refurbished devices, and some people are just now getting their old 6700's replaced with something else, over 3 years after the fact. TEP wasn't meant to be an upgrade plan, and while it's possible you could get an upgrade, you'll more than likely be disappointed if that's your reasoning for getting it.

That being said, for mere protection for the things that happen, go with TEP, just not as your plan for upgrading.
the thing is, you have to also think of how much TEP has saved you, they give you a free refurb device when yours breaks. Imagine having to buy a new one each time it broke, or got water damage.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

land2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to land2634

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandestroyx View Post
the thing is, you have to also think of how much TEP has saved you, they give you a free refurb device when yours breaks. Imagine having to buy a new one each time it broke, or got water damage.
Right, which is why I pointed out getting TEP is a good idea... just not as a plan to upgrade. I have TEP myself for those times when things just happen.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: verizion

aaronpoweruser is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to aaronpoweruser

what does the vxw extended warrenty cover?
does it cover usb ports screens and/or keyboards?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2