PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

mlevin77 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"Global capability when traveling overseas", GPS, and comparison to Omnia 2

I'm on Verizon in the U.S., trying to decide whether to keep waiting for the Omnia II or go with the Touch Pro 2. Can someone outline the differences for me (aside from the slide-out keyboard)? Opinions? Which is likelier to have an easy-to-use kitchen or good ROMs made for it?
Also:
1) the Verizon website says (for the TP2): "Global capability when traveling overseas" - what the heck is that? I thought this was a CDMA phone which wouldn't work in Europe for example. Can it do GSM also??
2) GPS: does it have a real GPS which will be usable with spoken driving directions software (now, or in a new ROM that people are cooking)?

thank you in advance,

Mike
Old 09-11-2009, 06:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6875 Touch Pro2
Carrier: VerizonWireless

ca2l3vin is keeping up the good workca2l3vin is keeping up the good workca2l3vin is keeping up the good work
Re: "Global capability when traveling overseas", GPS, and comparison to Omnia 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin77 View Post
I'm on Verizon in the U.S., trying to decide whether to keep waiting for the Omnia II or go with the Touch Pro 2. Can someone outline the differences for me (aside from the slide-out keyboard)? Opinions? Which is likelier to have an easy-to-use kitchen or good ROMs made for it?
Also:
1) the Verizon website says (for the TP2): "Global capability when traveling overseas" - what the heck is that? I thought this was a CDMA phone which wouldn't work in Europe for example. Can it do GSM also??
2) GPS: does it have a real GPS which will be usable with spoken driving directions software (now, or in a new ROM that people are cooking)?

thank you in advance,

Mike
waiting for the omnia II or going for the touch pro 2 is going to be based on a persons lifestyle. Omnia II has a great screen with vibrant colors and will have much more multimedia capabilities right out of the box. if you dont mind losing the qwerty then your best bet would be the omnia II with its bigger camera with flash multiple screens and extreme touchwiz skinning which matches and in some ways surpasses TF3D. Of course if your impatient then TP2 is already out and is a great phone with its screen size and qwerty slide keyboard with tilt. If you need a keyboard then I would suggest buckling down and getting the TP2 as this feature would be more inportant than say the camera size or the multimedia functions which could be added to TP2 anyways

1) Touch Pro 2 Is a world edition phone meaning it comes with GSM Quad Band (GSM/GPRS/EDGE); UMTS/WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA for uses on other networks across MUCH of the world as well as its CDMA radio for US connectivity
2) GPS is supposed to be unlocked for full capabilities with or without mapping software already provided out of the box. Meaning you can install 3rd party maps such as google maps and will work. (though I didnt have a chance to verify as I havent gotten my VZW TP2 yet)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

mlevin77 is just getting started

Thanks - that's very useful info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2l3vin View Post
1) Touch Pro 2 Is a world edition phone meaning it comes with GSM Quad Band (GSM/GPRS/EDGE); UMTS/WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA for uses on other networks across MUCH of the world as well as its CDMA radio for US connectivity
do you mean I can run this phone in the US with my existing Verizon account, and then use the same phone in Europe just as is? How does it work mechanically: do I need to switch Sim cards, have accounts on European phone carriers, etc. - how is this used?

and, do people think that new ROMs and kitchens (which greatly improved the HTC XV6700 I've got now) will be available for both phones in about the same timeframe? Any reason one (Omnia II vs. TP2) would be less amenable to people making an improved ROM for it (or need it less!) than the other?

Mike
Old 09-11-2009, 04:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

Ender519 is keeping up the good workEnder519 is keeping up the good work

There is a SIM card slot on this phone. Verizon has an international plan that includes GSM service overseas or on demand.. but a lot of countries let you "rent" a SIM card while there and you should in theory be able to do this. We'll have to wait for someone to test.

Also the GSM radio is locked out of US GSM networks, don't know if that's going to change with a custom rom or not.. but if it did and you ponied up the coin to have a secondary account with AT&T or T-Mobile you would have the ultimate phone LOL

I also wish to know more about how it works... I suspect there is a "world phone" mode in which the phone favors GSM over CDMA.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6875 Touch Pro2
Carrier: VerizonWireless

ca2l3vin is keeping up the good workca2l3vin is keeping up the good workca2l3vin is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender519 View Post
There is a SIM card slot on this phone. Verizon has an international plan that includes GSM service overseas or on demand.. but a lot of countries let you "rent" a SIM card while there and you should in theory be able to do this. We'll have to wait for someone to test.

Also the GSM radio is locked out of US GSM networks, don't know if that's going to change with a custom rom or not.. but if it did and you ponied up the coin to have a secondary account with AT&T or T-Mobile you would have the ultimate phone LOL

I also wish to know more about how it works... I suspect there is a "world phone" mode in which the phone favors GSM over CDMA.
Absolutely correct. Infact the sim card that comes with the phone is a Verizon/Vodafone Sim card so yes easy use for UK services. Just call global supports number that comes in your box and your good to go. naturally global plans will cost extra so having another account overseas is ideal for cheaper prices for some...however if your just going a few times a year then a global feature which can be added or removed would probably be cheaper.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2