PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 08:36 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Titan
Carrier: Sprint

ricketkm is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to ricketkm Send a message via Yahoo to ricketkm
Using sprint Touch pro 2 in different country

I want to get the touch pro 2 for sprint but is it possible to use a international sim card in the phone?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: sprint

samshady is a n00b
Re: Using sprint Touch pro 2 in different country

According to the sprint website the Touch Pro2 will be international capable and has a sim card.

Sprint Worldwide Service
Before you travel, contact Sprint to enable Sprint Worldwide international services. For a complete list of countries and Sprint Worldwide coverage areas where you can use this phone, visit sprint.com/sww.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

starcastic is a n00b

That link, typical Sprint, isnt really very helpful or detailed, but it certainly makes it appear as if you'll be limited to their specific partners and rates.

Obviously its not in their best interests to overexplain this but the only way this is realllly useful is if I can use any SIM that I buy in whatever country I happen to be in for flat-rate per-minute pricing.

If we cant do that then its still a much better deal to just buy a cheap unlocked GSM phone and buy your SIMs from Telestial or in-country.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: mogul

jtadeo51 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcastic View Post
That link, typical Sprint, isnt really very helpful or detailed, but it certainly makes it appear as if you'll be limited to their specific partners and rates.

Obviously its not in their best interests to overexplain this but the only way this is realllly useful is if I can use any SIM that I buy in whatever country I happen to be in for flat-rate per-minute pricing.

If we cant do that then its still a much better deal to just buy a cheap unlocked GSM phone and buy your SIMs from Telestial or in-country.
I believe this will be possible once the unlocker is released.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2/treo pro/mogul
Carrier: sprint

miketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good work

call sprint international 888 226 7212

they said they can unlock the phone so you can use any sim card you want.

Don't have a TP2 to do it myself (unfortunately), let us know if it works out, (I also want to do it when I can afford it)
Old 09-09-2009, 02:53 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Titan
Threadstarter

ricketkm is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to ricketkm Send a message via Yahoo to ricketkm

i just want to know if will work before I buy this phone
Old 09-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Well according to Sprint, the TP 2 IS subsidy lock free EXCEPT the US-GSM carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile).

I'm going to China in 2 weeks and have a SIM card that I can use (China Telecom) so, if it works without asking me for a unlock code then we know it's unlocked EXCEPT US-GSM carriers.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:23 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

i dont think there is a partnership... if u look into sprint international stuff... sprint has a gsm network overseas apparently... the service says " where sprint gsm is available".. maybe it is select partners and its just worded that way, but it leaves it up for speculation youd think...

i dont know why it wouldnt work... if a feature their marketing the phone with even... but if sprint gets their way, it wont be usuable without notifying them first... which i think they have to right to dictate how or who you use it with..

**edit** so i found this tmo phone like 6 months ago on top of an air pump at the gas station... it wouldnt power up... i threw the sim in my Sprint TP2, and it loaded the contacts up... all are Hispanic names...and most of the numbers are +011 numbers... even all the txt messages that loaded are all in spanish... that led me to belive it was an international sim, since he was obviously calling and txting mexico very very often... no luck though.. he obviously was using it here... but wont work with sprint... didnt really expect it to though

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 09-09-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
i dont think there is a partnership... if u look into sprint international stuff... sprint has a gsm network overseas apparently... the service says " where sprint gsm is available".. maybe it is select partners and its just worded that way, but it leaves it up for speculation youd think...

i dont know why it wouldnt work... if a feature their marketing the phone with even... but if sprint gets their way, it wont be usuable without notifying them first... which i think they have to right to dictate how or who you use it with
It's just roaming partners. Same case when my family members visits the States with their China Telecom SIM card in, it simply says "AT&T".

FCC had a document out regulating that the CDMA/GSM hybrid Touch Pro 2s being sold in the States MUST have the competitor GSM networks locked out, even though the phone does NOT have a subsidy lock present.

I just called and chatted with Sprint, and I asked them regarding this subject matter. All they are telling me is that, the Sprint's TP2 does NOT have a subsidy lock EXCEPT to the US-GSM carriers due to FCC regulations, and you CAN choose which-ever GSM provider you want to use as long as they are not US-based.

You have a choice, either you can use Sprint's SIM card for roaming in the countries that has agreement between the local GSM carriers and Sprint for a much higher rate but keep your same phone number; OR, you can use a local SIM card from wherever you are going as long as it's NOT an US-based GSM provider's SIM.

It won't ask you for an unlock code, let's just put this way.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:34 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

ravic is a n00b

Did they remove the 850/1900 GSM bands completely or is it locked to not accept ATT and Tmobile sims?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2