PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Using sprint Touch pro 2 in different country

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravic View Post
Did they remove the 850/1900 GSM bands completely or is it locked to not accept ATT and Tmobile sims?
It's quad band and 2100 UTMS.

They locked out ALL US-Based GSM carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:39 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

great info!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2/treo pro/mogul
Carrier: sprint

miketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good work

do you think it would be technically possible to unlock the phone for t mobile and att. You never know!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketab View Post
do you think it would be technically possible to unlock the phone for t mobile and att. You never know!
There is always a possibility to do that. Problem is right now nobody knows how it's being locked down. Is it a software-based (Windows Mobile) lock, or is it a radio/firmware (more a down-to-the-bone method), or a combination of both.

Once we figure that out, it won't be hard to do.

But hey, first thing first, the Unlocker.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

ctiger is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedusa View Post
There is always a possibility to do that. Problem is right now nobody knows how it's being locked down. Is it a software-based (Windows Mobile) lock, or is it a radio/firmware (more a down-to-the-bone method), or a combination of both.

Once we figure that out, it won't be hard to do.

But hey, first thing first, the Unlocker.
did you try the SIM card from China in it? If the phone's locked to other SIM, the phone will tell you. If they didn't lock other countries but US-GSM, we just lost the reason to let them unlock it. I had been with ATT and tmobile before and always called them for unlock codes to travel abroad although I didn't, they gave me without any question.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiger View Post
did you try the SIM card from China in it? If the phone's locked to other SIM, the phone will tell you. If they didn't lock other countries but US-GSM, we just lost the reason to let them unlock it. I had been with ATT and tmobile before and always called them for unlock codes to travel abroad although I didn't, they gave me without any question.
No I have not because I don't even have access to that SIM card yet (will receive it once I land in Canton.)

Thing is, it never does ask you for an unlock code, like others mentioned under Settings -> Personal -> Security. If you go there it simply says "This phone is SIM unlocked." There are just no place for you to even put in an unlock code.

It's the FCC regulation as I mentioned earlier to lock the GSM down for the States. However I've talked with many Sprint reps even couple Tier 2s, all they are saying is that it has NO SUBSIDY lock EXCEPT US-GSM Carriers.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Um..... Sprint

rodslinger is a n00b

I have a T-Mobile SIM with a UK number I use when I travel to B'Ham England. I popped it in but wouldn't register. Probably because it is on the US T-Mobile network. It wouldn't even locate a carrier in GSM mode.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G

Merovingian is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricketkm View Post
I want to get the touch pro 2 for sprint but is it possible to use a international sim card in the phone?
The GSM portion of the phone is unlocked so you could take it out of the country and use an international SIM of your choice in that country. The GSM bands do not work in the U.S, but overseas. In the U.S you would use the CDMA side of the phone.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ppc6700
Carrier: sprint

johnq is keeping up the good workjohnq is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to johnq

iremember few years ago a freind of mine have samsung phone windows mobile 5.0 from sprint have option cdma .gsm only .. of course at and t or t mobile dosnt work .but in africa his phone working very well through gsm net work . he said he did not unlouck or did any kind or software .it just work fine ..my though that touch pro 2 same as old samsung 5.0
Old 09-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq View Post
iremember few years ago a freind of mine have samsung phone windows mobile 5.0 from sprint have option cdma .gsm only .. of course at and t or t mobile dosnt work .but in africa his phone working very well through gsm net work . he said he did not unlouck or did any kind or software .it just work fine ..my though that touch pro 2 same as old samsung 5.0
That's the situation as of now. The GSM part for the Sprint TP2 has NO subsidy (network) lock EXCEPT for US-GSM carriers. You can take it out of the States and us any SIM as long as they are NOT an US-GSM SIM.

In the States? It will lock the GSM part out.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2