PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6700 & 6900
Carrier: Verizon

buddhatikkigod is keeping up the good workbuddhatikkigod is keeping up the good workbuddhatikkigod is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How would it be if all phones were bought from the manufacturer?

Just thinking as i was responding in another thread talking about how phones arent hyped much before theyre released, like most products are. Like how we hear about a new model car months and years before it comes out while lots of old model cars remain in stock. Got to wondering, what would it be like if phone manufacturers supplied and sold the phones themselves and you just brought it to the service provider to activate.

I know a lot of people say no more subsidized phones, but if the pricing structure was changed the phones would be cheaper then their full "non-subsidized" price and if the service providers weren't spending extra money subsidizing the phones the actual service cost would/could go down.

i think in the end it would be better for the consumer but im sure the phone companies like being able to bury extra costs incurred from subsidizing the phones into extra costs incurred on your service. Think about the person (kinda like me) that doesnt get a new phone every 2 years theyre paying extra paying the cost for subsidies but not using it.

Last edited by buddhatikkigod; 09-08-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:02 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP
Re: How would it be if all phones were bought from the manufacturer?

Who would service the phone...the original manufactuer or the carrier? You're going to have issues if it's the manufacturer because the carrier's service committment is there so keep you as a customer. Sure HTC, as an exmaple, may want to keep you as a customer too...but they're only making x amount of dollars of you, under your model, every 2-3 years. Where as the carrier has a bigger committment because you're in to him for your operating costs month-in month-out.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue (XV6900)
Carrier: Verizon

Link9228 is keeping up the good workLink9228 is keeping up the good work

I think it'd be nice, because the phones would most likely cost less, and we wouldn't have to worry about our carriers crippling them (ex: Verizon crippling the touch/vogue/xv6900's GPS)
Old 09-09-2009, 11:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

myxheroxfell is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to myxheroxfell

I agree. It would be like the internet service we all get. We can all buy the computer we want but still have to pay for the service. It's a bigger win for both parties. Unfortunately the branding war on phones has gotten out of control and putting that little sprint/ verizon logo on the phone that no one can see and exclusive rights is more important than happy customers. Something to dream about. I know the FCC has shown interest but they're pretty much useless to the customers anymore.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Focus (unlocked)
Carrier: Telus

jessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to jessiethe3rd

Phones are a carrot... since carriers (especially in North America) choose to offer the highest rates they in return discount the phones for locking in on the commitment. This is quite possibly why we have the highest rates in the world. Since moving to Canada I have noticed little competition and very little flexibility in regards to plans. You can go with a cheap service like Kudo or Fido and you still pay out of the ying yang for a data package, good minutes, and texting. Until these Mobile Telcos are really pressed I don't foresee the practice of discount handsets going away. Here in NA at least I see the trend swinging even more of the favor of the hardware manu and the telco with all these exclusives. It pays big bucks and people at the end of the day want the technology and could care less about the actual service (technology being the hardware.) See AT&T with their lockdown of the iPhone. When people start figuring it out (and unlocking devices) you get this "it could be a terriorist act!" wording appearing from the carriers and the manufactures. BOGUS. Until the Telcos are regulated and they quit their noncompetition practice we'll all be raked over the coals. It's like MaBell and the 80s all over again but this time the players are separate companies with unspoken business practices and rules... in the end the consumers lose.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:54 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

depends, if it meant all the devices were unlocked so they can be used on competing cdma or gsm networks, then this would kinda suck... phones would cost alot then..

if their still branded and carrier specific but came from them and not the carriers, then id be all for it, because i think the price would go some, not a ton though... carriers themselves pay top dollar for devices, the only reason we get em for big discounts is because they make money on the back end with us(add ons, everything plans, overages, media downloads,etc).... thats the only reason we cant get rid of ETFs completely is carriers maintain its to offset the discounted handset prices to the consumer...

so its kind of up in the air if itd be good or not to buy directly

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2