PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

HeXeD is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Work's Exchange 2007 Security Policies.. my touch pro 2.. no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
Yes. You can disable just about every aspect of Windows Mobile via Exchange ActiveSync policies, and they refresh themselves with every sync. Administrators can even remote wipe the device if necessary.

I don't really CARE what your company's policies are either... but my point is perfectly valid. If your company has security policies in effect, it means they have a corporate policy to back it. Violating it is grounds for disciplinary action especially if it's a company issued phone. Since it's personal, I'm thrilled your admin agreed to ease up a bit, and he's right, it takes about 3-4 minutes to create a new policy for you.
You really didn't read the post you are quoting. It is a problem with the Exchange server that my admin is looking into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
Next time though, don't be a friggen jackass and go off on some tirade against me or someone else just because we point out some cold hard facts.
...I would say close to the same thing to you.. except I would say "Next time though, don't be a friggen jackass and start mouthing off about company policies until you know more about the company's policy..."

In other words, you "should" care about my company's policies if you're going to get all "preachy" on me regarding them.. The point of this thread is to get around this problem, regardless of anyone or anything. If you didn't have anything to say to help the issue, then you just shouldn't have said it at all. You are an Exchange admin.. great.. but you are not MY exchange admin. Just because you can spout off company policy to people at your work doesn't mean it helps to come in here and assume you know something about another company's policy. The things you think are cold hard facts, are actually completely irrelevent in my situation because my company does NOT keep a policy to do what I am explaining which means something is wrong. My Exchange admin is looking into it though. HE is also confused why my phone, which is synced, is not enforcing the one policy they have active which is the password policy.

And the only reason you received a "tirade" is I can't stand people who have nothing to contribute. Even if it was a polite warning the way stevedusa said. Notice how he was actually helpfull while at the same time concerned for the repercussions of going against the policy? Your post sounded like my HR director sent it to me and was really of no help. If I were you, I would have left the talking to stevedusa. If you can't understand that then we will just have to agree to disagree.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

If you interpreted my initial warning as being hostile, I do sincerely apologize for my wording.

However, you should be aware that violating ANYONE'S policies-- whether you believe they apply to you or not, no matter what those policies are-- is NOT a safe topic of discussion on this site, and your topic if noticed by the wrong moderator could result in anything from a warning/thread close to being banned. While I wasn't trying to preach at you, YOU CAN also get in trouble with many IT administrators for doing what you were initially posting about. That's why I posted what I did, and that's why Exchange 2007 doesn't use those keys anymore. It had already been suggested to talk to your admin, so I felt no need to repeat that advice.

Of course, I'm thrilled that you were able to speak to your admin and get an exemption or however you want to describe it. All it takes is creating a less restrictive ActiveSync policy and assigning it to your mailbox, which as previously stated is about 3 minutes of time, and if he feels your company policies aren't violated by doing so, then it sounds like you've got what you want.

And on that note, I'm done with this topic.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: tp2!
Carrier: the one

orlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stuff

hey goodthings2life,
so you can actually get a personalized policy? does that include extending the time it takes to enter a pin or disabling it all together?
Old 09-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

fghtech is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandojumpoff View Post
hey goodthings2life,
so you can actually get a personalized policy? does that include extending the time it takes to enter a pin or disabling it all together?
Obviously I'm not goodthings2life but the answer to your question is yes.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Bringer of Good Things

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandojumpoff View Post
hey goodthings2life,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fghtech View Post
Obviously I'm not goodthings2life but the answer to your question is yes.
Yes, in fact, I've attached screenshots of all the options you can set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ActiveSync1.jpg (75.6 KB, 17 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg ActiveSync2.jpg (85.4 KB, 14 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg ActiveSync3.jpg (79.0 KB, 13 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg ActiveSync4.jpg (95.8 KB, 12 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg ActiveSync5.jpg (105.5 KB, 13 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by GoodThings2Life; 09-06-2009 at 08:15 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Thanks for these snapshots. They are actually great reference for me in the job that I have. Do you know which setting is preventing him from making regedits?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Bringer of Good Things

Not sure precisely, as I've not experienced that issue first hand, but I'd say it's unsigned applications options on the Advanced tab.

In any case, the way these settings work is that in the Exchange Management console, you go to Organization > Client Access, and create a new policy enabling/disabling settings as needed (default settings are pretty wide open, similar to what I've posted).

From there, you go to User Mailbox listing, and assign the profile to a mailbox or mailboxes. Once you do this, the settings resync with the phone on every sync with the server. So even if you were to manually bypass them, they will revert very quickly.

In fact, if I really had to guess, I'd say it's more a matter of the changes are being made but are being reverted back as quick as they're made (HeXeD didn't indicate whether it just seemed like they weren't being made or if it gave an error, but I'd guess the former since he seems pretty thorough in his explanation).
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: tp2!
Carrier: the one

orlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stuff

thanks for the info and screenshots goodthings2life!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2