PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Found something that makes the 3.5mm headphone jack a moot point! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=82367)

SweetBearCub 09-03-2009 03:43 AM

Found something that makes the 3.5mm headphone jack a moot point!

1 Attachment(s)
A lot of folks here have been waiting for HTC phones to include 3.5mm headphone jacks. Why is beyond me, since the 3.5mm jack does not support audio input, call control buttons, or anything other than audio out. On a music/media player, this wouldn't be a problem. On a PDA/Phone, I see it as a problem.

What if I told you that I found a remote which is a genuine HTC product that plugs into the ExtUSB port and offers the following:

- Integrated microphone
- Voice dial support
- Last number redial support
- Volume buttons
- Music/FM control buttons (Next/Prev, also functions as FF/Rew)
- Play/Pause button
- Phone buttons (Send/End)
- Mute button to silence ringtone when an incoming call comes or mute the microphone during an ongoing call
- Hold switch to lock/unlock the remote control
- Clothes Clip
- ~3.5ft long cord (Plus length of attached headphone cord)
- 3.5mm headphone jack on remote to support headphones of your choice
- Includes set of basic 3.5mm earbuds

Price? $25.85, about 10 days from ordering to delivery. It is unfortunately incompatible with the dongle that allows charging/syncing while using an ExtUSB headset. Why, I do not know. So basically, you cannot charge the phone and use this headset at the same time.

If HTC would include this remote in the box with their phones, they would gain several customers. After all, shouldn't a do-it-all device have a do-it-all remote/headphone combo?

My goal in this post is not to sell you the remote, but rather to ask - Given that this remote is available - Why use the built-in 3.5mm jack with all its limitations?

Clipp 09-03-2009 06:56 AM

Re: Found something that makes the 3.5mm headphone jack a moot point!

I have multiple sets that I use. One for on the go and one for at home (better quality and bigger size). I also have other devices like a psp and ipod that i often take with me on planes, so it's nice to use one set for all of them. It's quite annoying to have to carry two different headsets in your pocket... not to mention a bluetooth headset, if you use one o fthose. Frankly, it's embarrassing.

At $26, i doubt that set will sound as good or be as comfortable as my current sets... that's just my opinion tho. If you're happy with the set you've mentioned, that's cool.

Hypnotic2010 09-03-2009 08:29 AM

I believe the whole point and the advantage of getting the 3.5m jack is so we dont need to lug around an awkward dongle just to plug in a standard set of headphones!

themuffinman 09-03-2009 09:30 AM

And since we have a 3.5mm jack, that give us countless options as far as what kind of headphones we can use on the phone, instead of htc's limited options.

buddhatikkigod 09-03-2009 09:42 AM

i dont understand why they dont start making more bluetooth headphone options. Check out the S9's by motorola:

http://direct.motorola.com/ens/s9/Headset_Home.asp

stereo, bluetooth, decent battery life, loud speakers, MIC built in for calls, light weight and stay in place while running.

northernpenguin 09-03-2009 10:20 AM

Um. What the heck are you talking about "No Audio Input".

My Telus TP2, with the 3.5mm jack came with a set of headphones - with an integrated mic and call control button. Exactly like the ExtUSB one, just uses a 3.5mm jack.

Oh, and my old ExtUSB headset works fine on the TP2 as well.

Also - why use the 3.5mm for headset? Separate ports for charging and listening. I can charge my phone in the car, while using an FM Transmitter and I don't need an adapter - my old phone would need an adapter for the ExtUSB -> 3.5mm for the transmitter (or an ExtUSB based transmitter yeah right), and ALSO a ExtUSB splitter. No wonder the port kept breaking off the phone --- I had more dongles on there than the phone itself size wise.

shaggylive 09-03-2009 10:34 AM

ah, good point about the listen+charge.

I want to see a bluetooth remote like that with CID, so I don't have to pull my phone out of my pocket just to see who's calling.. (msvc has been an overall dissapointment.)

Cicatrize 09-03-2009 11:20 AM

I think the OP is completely missing the point here.

We don't want to have a stupid dongle to just plug in headphones. Aside from that, given that the phone comes with a 3.5mm jack AND a USB port, we could do either one, so that's even more flexible.

shtewps 09-03-2009 11:24 AM

I think this thread is now moot. hah.

3.5mm - ftw
Forced to buy more product - ftl

Hypnotic2010 09-03-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1137532)
I think the OP is completely missing the point here.

We don't want to have a stupid dongle to just plug in headphones. Aside from that, given that the phone comes with a 3.5mm jack AND a USB port, we could do either one, so that's even more flexible.

Exactly, Any portable device that plays media should have a standard headphone jack....IMO.