PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   questioin about sprint touch pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=82295)

brukdibuddy 09-02-2009 07:12 PM

questioin about sprint touch pro 2

You know how it says international phone i was wondering does this phone work with a sim card; like is there a slot to put in a sim card

jrog27 09-02-2009 07:13 PM

Re: questioin about sprint touch pro 2

Yes it does.

themuffinman 09-02-2009 07:18 PM

Just remember that the gsm part of the phone will be locked down to where you wont be able to use it for other gsm carriers in the U.S., but that will probably be hacked anyway.

gatolsf 09-02-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themuffinman (Post 1136221)
Just remember that the gsm part of the phone will be locked down to where you wont be able to use it for other gsm carriers in the U.S., but that will probably be hacked anyway.

Will it be the same as the Telus version?

Tech Addiction 09-02-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatolsf (Post 1136336)
Will it be the same as the Telus version?

It has both a GSM radio and a CDMA radio. With a Sim card and the right calling plan it will use GSM towers and network for global use.

gatolsf 09-03-2009 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech Addiction (Post 1136449)
It has both a GSM radio and a CDMA radio. With a Sim card and the right calling plan it will use GSM towers and network for global use.

Yes that I know. But I was referring to, if we would be able to unlock it just like them buying the code?

Insoc 09-08-2009 12:55 AM

What I want to know is, will the TP2 be forced to only work with Sprint GSM SIM card, or will it work with an overseas SIM card?

I am in the US Navy, and I will be going overseas at the end of the year for quite some time, and this might be the reason for me to switch, if I can use the Sprint TP2 overseas as a GSM phone with no strings attached to Sprint... (No International fees on my account etc...)

Slevin 09-08-2009 02:14 PM

From what I've read the GMS portion of the phone is hardware/firmware locked to use only overseas GSM, meaning GSM will not work in the U.S. I think this is due to FCC agreements or something. So looks like no hacked SIM cards for the phone in the U.S.

-Slevin

ssteven365 09-08-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insoc (Post 1147528)
What I want to know is, will the TP2 be forced to only work with Sprint GSM SIM card, or will it work with an overseas SIM card?

I am in the US Navy, and I will be going overseas at the end of the year for quite some time, and this might be the reason for me to switch, if I can use the Sprint TP2 overseas as a GSM phone with no strings attached to Sprint... (No International fees on my account etc...)

I'm USAF going to Afghanistan for a year in January. From what I've been reading we'll be able to use the TP2 overseas with a prepaid sim with no issues. I'm hoping to get some firmer information once the phone has been released for awhile. The other bonus to this phone is that if you're in wifi coverage (like a USO) you will be able to use skype mobile to make "calls" instead of burning your GSM minutes.

pbeaul 09-09-2009 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssteven365 (Post 1149803)
I'm USAF going to Afghanistan for a year in January. From what I've been reading we'll be able to use the TP2 overseas with a prepaid sim with no issues. I'm hoping to get some firmer information once the phone has been released for awhile. The other bonus to this phone is that if you're in wifi coverage (like a USO) you will be able to use skype mobile to make "calls" instead of burning your GSM minutes.

Yes, I have Skype installed but there's one little hitch... that it doesn't use the ear piece... only the rear speakers (really annoying.) I ended up finding a solution that uses a program called "audio route" that routes the Skype audio to the earpiece so you can actually have a private conversation.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Skype + AudioRoute combo... and plan to use it extensively on my travels.

If anyone wants AudioRoute I found it here: http://teksoftco.com/index.php?section=freeware