PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Investigating HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

SweepTheLeg is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro 2 and Wifi Router?

I had to bump this because I've been dealing with some overheating issues with my TP2. (verizon, using Mighty from February)

I was recently in the hospital, and I used my phone for tethering w/o a problem. I would plug it in to my computer's USB for power and then connect to the Wifi router and I would be on the 'net. Phone wouldn't get hot, no real issues.

Fast forward a few weeks.

Back at my office, I would use the MLB at-bat app on my ipod touch, so I'd dial in the ipod touch to the TP2, again hooked into the USB port to avoid power drain, and stream the audio.

Twice the TP2 has overheated.

I'm not sure what to do. I was planning to take a "work vacation" using my TP2 to "dial in" to my office, but if it keeps overheating, I can't do it.

The only difference between the two locales (hospital and my office) is that the 3G coverage wasn't great (but wasn't bad) in the office, but it was very strong in the hospital. Could that be it?
Old 04-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

I think there is a way to set your tp2 to not charge while connected via usb. that should help the with the overheating. that is weird. I've used mine tethered to my laptop with 1-2bars of signal for like 8hours without problem.
I can't find the setting, but I'll keep looking.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint

Mr_Shields is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to Mr_Shields

Is it possible to use this program to connect a ps3 to the net? Do I have to be tethered to the ps3 for it to work?

[IMG]h[/IMG]
Old 04-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Investigating HTC TP2

SweepTheLeg is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
I think there is a way to set your tp2 to not charge while connected via usb. that should help the with the overheating. that is weird. I've used mine tethered to my laptop with 1-2bars of signal for like 8hours without problem.
I can't find the setting, but I'll keep looking.
Oops, maybe I wasn't clear...

I'm connecting to get the internet wirelessly. It's only connected via USB so it doesn't power down while connected. I have no reason to plug in the phone to the USB if I'm not pulling a charge.

It's not exactly "tethering" - it's more using the phone as a wireless hotspot. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: treo
Carrier: tmo

freshpl is a n00b

+1 basicly how can you run the router when the screen goes into standby?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 6850

travissand is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshpl View Post
+1 basicly how can you run the router when the screen goes into standby?
Touch lock pro is free but hard to configure it will get the job done but I DO NOT Recommend it. I only mention it because some people are stuck on free.
Pocket Shield Protection addition has some options I need that Pocket Shield Proximity addition dose not have. Well worth the $15 on sale for $10 some times. After I tested different locking programs for 3 days I settled on Pocket shield. If you set it up correctly It can turn your screen off and keep it off when still serving as a hot spot.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Twins Fanatic
Pocket PC: LG G3 and HTC One M8

gspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to gspitman Send a message via Yahoo to gspitman

No heat issues here, and I used mine all the way on the drive to Kansas City (From Minneapolis) once.

I may not have helped, but you can click "Thanks" anyway!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:12 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Shields View Post
Is it possible to use this program to connect a ps3 to the net? Do I have to be tethered to the ps3 for it to work?
It sets up as a ad-hoc connection so unless the ps3 will do that type I woud say not possible, maybe someone a lil more advanced in networking can chime in. But I have had no luck.

TEAM MiK
Member Since 12/30/10
Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

mountainwampus is keeping up the good workmountainwampus is keeping up the good workmountainwampus is keeping up the good work

I never had a Touch Pro, so I have nothing to compare to, but I noticed that the TP2 gets VERY HOT while using HTC wifi router. I also notice that the battery will drain completely in about an hour. I have determined that the program is unsafe for the fragile phone (because of excessive heat, battery use) and not very stable (frequent disconnects). I have found USB tethering to be superior in every way, just not as high tech, I know.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM
LDBecker

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I'm getting frustrated... I found the HTC tether program and had it working under Windows Mobile 6.1, but today I upgraded to WM 6.5 and want to install the HTC tether/router software for 6.5 and I can't find it. I've been Googling for an hour and find a LOT of references to old software, but isn't there a free HTC one that works with this phone under 6.5? The one I had for 6.1 worked great, but I can't find that link and I would love one that works for 6.5. Can someone post the link for it?

Thanks!
Larry
edit: Am using the Touch Pro 2 on Sprint

Last edited by LDBecker; 07-28-2010 at 03:26 PM. Reason: To list carrier as Sprint

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2