PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 03:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

JonnyOctagon is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tethering w/ T-Mobile TP2

It seems T-Mobile has hidden the tethering feature on their version of the TP2.. Can someone please tell me how to unlock that feature? (So that it shows up as one of the options when you plug a USB cable).

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

TomasPistola is just getting started
Re: Tethering w/ T-Mobile TP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyOctagon View Post
It seems T-Mobile has hidden the tethering feature on their version of the TP2.. Can someone please tell me how to unlock that feature? (So that it shows up as one of the options when you plug a USB cable).

Thanks!
T-mobile has hidden nothing. To tether the TP2 you use the internet connection sharing program that is located on the phone. It's the first thing I looked for on mine when I got it. Click it - plug in your cable and go.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasPistola View Post
T-mobile has hidden nothing. To tether the TP2 you use the internet connection sharing program that is located on the phone. It's the first thing I looked for on mine when I got it. Click it - plug in your cable and go.
When I bought mt TP2 the store clerk told me absolutely not to do this. She said they had a customer come in with a $460,000 bill because they had done that. Now that sounds almost impossible, but I didn't argue with her.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

TomasPistola is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notime View Post
When I bought mt TP2 the store clerk told me absolutely not to do this. She said they had a customer come in with a $460,000 bill because they had done that. Now that sounds almost impossible, but I didn't argue with her.

We have no policy against tethering. I would bet the customer in question (assuming that story is even remotely true) was not using a data plan or was on T-zones instead.

How would T-Mo know you are tethering as opposed to just using normal data? No way in the billing system to see that so I wouldn't worry.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

JonnyOctagon is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasPistola View Post
Ah.. I see it.. Thanks I guess I was expecting it to be like the hacked TP1 where it was an option whenever you plugged the phone in via USB.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: TMobile

greatbrit is a n00b

I plead NEWBIE please can you help me get tethered.

1) I run 'internet sharing' from the programs folder
2) then plug in a USB cable to my PC connected to the mini USB on the TP2 (I've also tried plugging it in after running internet sharing and connecting).
3) when I plug the cable in it asks if I want 'activesync' or 'disk drive'. I choose active sync
4) I set the internet sharing program to "PC Connection: USB' (well no choice there, it's the only option) and set "Network Connection: TMobile data" (I also tried "tmobile internet")
5) I click 'connect'
6) It connects, but when I look at Connection Center on my Vista PC it shows it as only in 'local mode', no internet.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: TMobile

greatbrit is a n00b

Solved! Running activesync was part of the problem so I made sure that wasn't running when I connected. The other part was that I still had my PC connected wirelessly to my home router (with connected modem to the internet). I don't understand technically what it was doing, but the TP2 internet sharing appeared to be pointing at the IP of the router, and was using IPv6. I turned off the wifi on the PC, then ran ICS, and the TP2 connected with internet. And FAST! WOW!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2