PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   GPS Lag? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=80832)

FlowingAway 08-24-2009 04:32 PM

GPS Lag?

My Touch Pro has lagged what seemed like around 2 seconds behind where I really was, causing more than a few confusing driving scenarios.

How is the GPS on the Touch Pro 2? Is it any better? The original Touch was the last time I experienced proper GPS, the Diamond and Touch Pro both lagged.

shaggylive 08-24-2009 04:39 PM

Re: GPS Lag?

lag shmag

northernpenguin 08-24-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlowingAway (Post 1119668)
My Touch Pro has lagged what seemed like around 2 seconds behind where I really was, causing more than a few confusing driving scenarios.

How is the GPS on the Touch Pro 2? Is it any better? The original Touch was the last time I experienced proper GPS, the Diamond and Touch Pro both lagged.

I have not noticed any lag on my device when running Garmin Mobile XT, or Google Maps (Latitude) 3.2.1. Telus TP2.

8notime 08-24-2009 04:58 PM

Works great with no lag using TomTom.

VsB 08-25-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlowingAway (Post 1119668)

Sprint never had the lag problem. I get zero lag on mine running TomTom or google maps.

FlowingAway 08-25-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VsB (Post 1120782)
Sprint never had the lag problem. I get zero lag on mine running TomTom or google maps.

I have Sprint, and I definitely had the lag on the Diamond and Touch Pro both. I was just in Ohio over the weekend and we missed a few turns because it was so far behind we didn't know exactly which road it wanted us to turn down until we had just passed it. Very annoying.

themuffinman 08-25-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VsB (Post 1120782)

LOL, you have got to be joking right? I have sprint as well and the gps lag is rediculous, I never had this problem with my mogul. It has been well documented that the tp1 has a problem with this, hell just search right here on ppcgeeks and you will find several threads talking about this same issue. Just remember, the op isn't talking about finding a signal, he is talking about the accuracy of the map when driving.

8notime 08-25-2009 02:01 PM

Honestly, I tried all of the different Touch Pro's, and Sprint's was the only one where I didn't have lag. I'm not sure why some of us had it and others didn't. The Fuze seemed to be the worst of all.

andsoitgoes 08-25-2009 11:16 PM

I think we need to clarify what he means by "lag"

When I'm running my GPS there is a skip of about a second, maybe a bit less, where everything "catches up" with my car movement. It depends on how fast the car is going, as well.

This is only with Google Maps, but I do have a delay, even if only slight.

FlowingAway 08-26-2009 12:10 PM

I'm talking about driving down the highway and the GPS being behind by about 1 or 2 seconds. Like instead of it saying turn right as you're about to come up on the turn, it's saying turn right as soon as you pass the turn. It's definitely manageable if you're constantly looking at the screen, but when you're driving on the highway and not looking at the screen you're relying more on the voice to tell you, and often it's too late in saying.

It's definitely most noticeable on the highway.

andsoitgoes 08-26-2009 01:09 PM

Exactly, that's the same problem I'm having.

It may not be as prominent on something like TomTom, but it sure is with Google Maps.

FlowingAway 08-26-2009 01:22 PM

And this is the Touch Pro 2 you're talking about??

I use TomTom with my TP and it still lags the same

andsoitgoes 08-26-2009 01:23 PM

Seeing as I only have a Touch Pro2, yes :)

The same thing happened with my P4000/Mogul.

themuffinman 08-26-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andsoitgoes (Post 1122949)
Seeing as I only have a Touch Pro2, yes :)

The same thing happened with my P4000/Mogul.

Wow, my moguls gps performance was just about perfect compared to the tp.

andsoitgoes 08-26-2009 01:48 PM

It may have been a tich better, but really not that much in comparison.

I think I only tried TomTom for a second on my p4000 and realized it took up too much memory and gave up :)

I'd like to know if more people are having issues, though. I would like it to be faster.

bwillet 09-05-2009 10:04 PM

Half the people I know with a Diamond or Touch Pro didn't know about the GPS lag until I pointed it out, and then they couldn't stand it anymore. Just like the two faint horizontal lines on a Sony Trinitron CRT. Once you see them, you can't forget them!!!

If I get confirmation that the Sprint TP2 has fixed/mostly fixed the lag, I'm in. GPS is my killer app, since I'm directionally retarded and travel across the country frequently. Plus I have large hands so the extra screen real estate and bigger keyboard makes me feel funny inside.

land2634 09-05-2009 10:17 PM

I had a Mogul and I never had any noticeable lag. When I got the Touch Pro, it was pretty bad. Now with the Touch Pro 2, it's still there very slightly, but MUCH less noticeable.

redlegend 09-13-2009 01:24 PM

i haven't seen too much lag yet (only had it for about 24 hours now), but one thing I definitely noticed was the accuracy of my location in Google Maps. On my unlocked, custom ROM TP, it would show me how many satellites I was connected to, but not with the stock TP2 and new Google Maps. It says my location within "900 yards" which in my neighborhood is like 5 blocks away.

BenC 09-14-2009 03:47 AM

My TP1 had no lag at all; the TP2 though is very bad. As another said, it slows down/pauses and then catches up.

KrazyKevin76 09-14-2009 05:37 AM

I had the TP1 and now the TP2, lag on both.

Ticklemepinks 09-14-2009 06:44 AM

no lag on mine... i <3 my tp2

KrazyKevin76 09-14-2009 06:49 AM

Just tried it on the way home for work on my sprint tp2. I was atleast 2 seconds off, sometimes 3. And thats with google maps and the built in sprint software. Its the same as it was on my TP1.

Slack3r 09-14-2009 08:30 AM

I had extreme lag on my AT&T TP1, I couldn't even use my GPS for trips involving a lot of turns like city driving because it simply wouldn't keep up, and I would end up just looking at the list of directions and following that instead. I only tried Garmin XT though, so I'm not sure if that was a software or hardware issue. I tried various GPS tweaks to no avail.

No idea on the TP2 since I don't have mine yet, but I'll be sure to test it.

JackG058 09-14-2009 12:19 PM

You guys that are experiencing lag with the TP2, have you tried to enable your QuickGPS program that is built in to see if that helps at all?

Yay 4 Juggs 09-14-2009 01:38 PM

ok i will chime in here since i already chimed in on another thread i started...the gps lag is horrendous to say the least on this device. I have tried google...telenav(sprint app) garmin xt and tomtom...all with the same results...standing still in my driveway it shows me on the next block 30 feet away. Driving 30mph up to the next intersection...it doesnt catch up till well after i have made my turn. I know this is a phone first but when you promote a product as having said features...at least make them work. i have a mogul that i use for standalone gps and the damn thing is more accurate than my finedrive 350 gps. I honestly feel this is just another slapdash build put out by htc.

shaggylive 09-14-2009 05:11 PM

has anyone tried putting it in standalone mode. I know the driver & reg's are different. on the tp1 i think it's just one referring to PDE enabled 1 or 0 .

IGGUS 09-14-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlegend (Post 1162046)
i haven't seen too much lag yet (only had it for about 24 hours now), but one thing I definitely noticed was the accuracy of my location in Google Maps. On my unlocked, custom ROM TP, it would show me how many satellites I was connected to, but not with the stock TP2 and new Google Maps. It says my location within "900 yards" which in my neighborhood is like 5 blocks away.

FIX IS HERE -

Sounds like you're only working w/ 'AGPS', so not true GPS.
First in Google Maps do you have the option checked to 'Use GPS'?

I had the same issues at first, then I followed the instructions and ran the apps as in this post -
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=598

Make sure you install the SDKcerts CAB first, then restart the phone. Then install Quick GPS. This will restart for you a second time now. Then connect to the internet via browser or whatever, then run QuickGPS and 'Download' the latest satellite info. When I didn't connect to the net first, QuickGPS failed to download the updates.

Now run Google Maps, should be almost instantaneous. If not, uncheck the Use GPS and then recheck it. My TomTom does like to take a bit to sync up, but when I go to the Settings>GPS Config area then it finds the satellites real quick.

smo1a 09-14-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGGUS (Post 1165127)
FIX IS HERE -

I had the same issues at first, then I followed the instructions and ran the apps as in this post -

Make sure you install the SDKcerts CAB first, then restart the phone. Then install Quick GPS. This will restart for you a second time now. Then connect to the internet via browser or whatever, then run QuickGPS and 'Download' the latest satellite info. When I didn't connect to the net first, QuickGPS failed to download the updates.

Now run Google Maps, should be almost instantaneous. If not, uncheck the Use GPS and then recheck it. My TomTom does like to take a bit to sync up, but when I go to the Settings>GPS Config area then it finds the satellites real quick.

I think you are referencing lock times. I have a very quick lock on sats, but the lag in tracking movement for navigation in TomTom is a fu%#king joke! I had used TomTom on my mogul and touch with flawless precision and now with the TP2 it is completely unusable. I saw on XDA there was an improvement for GSM models, but so far no love for CDMA. Hopefully a fix or firmware update soon will help.

horndoctor 09-15-2009 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yay 4 Juggs (Post 1164442)
ok i will chime in here since i already chimed in on another thread i started...the gps lag is horrendous to say the least on this device. I have tried google...telenav(sprint app) garmin xt and tomtom...all with the same results...standing still in my driveway it shows me on the next block 30 feet away. Driving 30mph up to the next intersection...it doesnt catch up till well after i have made my turn. I know this is a phone first but when you promote a product as having said features...at least make them work. i have a mogul that i use for standalone gps and the damn thing is more accurate than my finedrive 350 gps. I honestly feel this is just another slapdash build put out by htc.

You are not the first person I have heard say this. Not good.:(

bwillet 09-15-2009 12:35 AM

Well, so much for getting the TP2 for Sprint for me. I was SO hoping that they would pay attention to the lag issue. GPS is my killer app (love my Garmin) as I travel very frequently across the US, but I'm also directionally stupid, so the lag kills me. Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do, as there aren't any other good options for SERO...

crap crap crap crap.

BenC 09-15-2009 03:50 AM

It's lock time and that is definitely not a problem with my device. I normally use the standalone mode and in it or the AGPS mode the lag is still there. As for the Quick thing, not a factor with lag.

germanguy 09-15-2009 08:11 AM

Wow, what a letdown. Coming from an ATT TP1, I was looking so much forward for the lag to be fixed in the TP2. This morning on my way to work I tried out iGo, TomTom and Sprint Navigator and all of them had about 2 seconds of lag (Sprint Navigator actually was the worst with 3-4 sec lag). I don't want a Blackberry nor an iPhone nor a Pre. I want a fully functional Windows Mobile device! I am so fed up. My ATT Tilt GPS was working flawlessly (that was 2 years ago). On XDA forums there is GPS fix cab but it not recommended for CDMA devices.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=553094

hamidxa 09-15-2009 08:15 AM

The Touch Pro and Diamond most definitely do have a 2 sec lag.

Oddly enough, my Mogul didn't.

Wonder why that is, and why HTC didn't keep the same GPS chipset (assuming that that's the problem of course)? :scratch: :disgust:

JackG058 09-15-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

FIX IS HERE -

These are instructions for unlocking Verizon's TP1 because Verizon had it locked down. Are you sure its safe for the TP2, or even necessary?

Quote:

Originally Posted by smo1a (Post 1165782)
I think you are referencing lock times. I have a very quick lock on sats, but the lag in tracking movement for navigation in TomTom is a fu%#king joke! I had used TomTom on my mogul and touch with flawless precision and now with the TP2 it is completely unusable. I saw on XDA there was an improvement for GSM models, but so far no love for CDMA. Hopefully a fix or firmware update soon will help.

I could be wrong, but I thought QuickGPS was designed to help assist in satellite performance overall while operating by using cellular towers to assist, not just in initial lockdown.

8notime 09-15-2009 10:22 AM

Has anyone with the lag issues tried installing GFXBoost? Maybe the lag would be helped by the display refresh rate increase that this program provides. It could be a dispaly problem vs. a problem with the GPS.

IGGUS 09-15-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackG058 (Post 1166873)
These are instructions for unlocking Verizon's TP1 because Verizon had it locked down. Are you sure its safe for the TP2, or even necessary?

I can not vouch for safeness or necessary but I will tell you it worked for me both times I tried it. Both times (starting from a fresh phone/hard reset) I encountered an issue, when I installed these in the right method it now works great. Slight delay like others are talking about here, but worlds better than before I applied.

I also install incorrectly my first attempt and I still couldn't get it working properly. When I reread everything, uninstalled and reinstalled suddenly everything was so much better...

mountainwampus 09-15-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

FIX IS HERE -

Has anyone tested this on Sprint? I have about 3 seconds of lag and the blue dot keeps jerkin around. Not smooth and accurate like my Moto q9c was.

Rick#2 09-15-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8notime (Post 1166886)
Has anyone with the lag issues tried installing GFXBoost? Maybe the lag would be helped by the display refresh rate increase that this program provides. It could be a dispaly problem vs. a problem with the GPS.

I think the issue lies solely in the GPS chip and its functionality (or lack thereof). I'm thinking that is the case because I've tried using TomTom and iGo with my Bluetooth GPS and the screen appears to run WAY smoother, presumably because the polling from the Bluetooth GPS is quicker and more accurate.

mdjkim 09-17-2009 02:03 PM

I think part of the confusion is that we don't know which carrier (Sprint, Verizon, etc.) model people are using. Each Touch Pro2 found on different carriers may be a bit unique, so that could be some of the issue.

mountainwampus 09-18-2009 08:28 AM

Has anyone tried this GPS fix for TP1?

Touch Pro GPS lag Fix