PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 01:17 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: HTC Touch Pro 2...4G capable???

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman1127 View Post
That reminds me, my area is getting 4g in a few months, will an AIRAVE support both 3g and 4g? The reps told me it will but you know......
If i remember correctly the newest one in 2010 only adds EVDO and landline VOIP..thats pretty much it. While Airvana the manufacturer of them is licensed for wimax and did demo it's wimax solution there was no mention of wimax in the FCC filing.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

coppermine18 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The Touch Pro 2/Tilt 2, Touch Pro, Cingular 8125 etc all based off a chipset that updated but not really in speed. The phones have grown more in features than processing power until now.

The working memory the phone have is limited with its mobile apps. Full featured desktop programs use more memory then the phone has by a long shot. The processor is not like a desktop processor in its full extent nor the bus speeds and do provide a large bottleneck. A good portion of this is Battery life and heat.

Now the technology and demand are hitting the market you got the iPhone 3GS, the Snapdragon processor in some phones and soon the nVidia Tegra in combination with ARM which will destroy all mobile phone processing on the market to date. As processors got faster and hotter the architechture changes so that instead of straight MHz increases they increased the IPC (Instructions per clock) to do more work with less power as the silicon die sizes got smaller as well as using multiple cores. Now they have multiple core cpus doing loads of instruction at half their TJMax which is the rated heat before the cpu is damaged. The nVidia Tegra has 12 cores...! It does the whole 9 yards and leave the ARM for processing the basic stuff.

I love WM but Ive faced the fact it hasnt been designed as a play phone and a business phone. Limited texts before it bogs, simple web browsing no awesome use we would live to have and a bagillion 3rd party apps that the phone can barely handle outside itself.

So these phones are great business tools and more but pushed to the extent of a mobile powerhouse the wall wont go down, the wifi will always be rather slow, the pages will render the same speed because the mobile browser has a lot of parsing to do so that the page is viable memory wise etc.

I have owned every one of these since a slideout keyboard was introduced and each has had a bit faster data, nicer features etc but in the end just wasnt built for as much as I or others here would like.

The 4G phones will be awesome with more processing power but I am going to wait to see a full market of them first. I also would prefer to have a phone with Tegra... If you have played with a Zune HD, that is what powers it.

Just my 2 cents. WM phones have done all I ever wanted as well as frustrate me and teach me patience sometimes. lol. Looking forward to the new hardware changes!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

PS... . I just typed that on my phone with Opera 10 and previous versions would have taken a &^% on me. Very few annoyances typing that. .lol
Old 05-16-2010, 02:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic with Cyanogenmod 7

jamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
absolutely NOT.. sorry to give ya the bad news

the sprint touch pro 2 does however have a reg entry for wimax, but its blank..
Can somebody find out what the reg entry is to enable wimax. I believe the Samsung Mondi was a wifi enabled phone can somebody find out what the reg entry for the wimax on that phone is? I don't care about the extra speed I just want the ability to talk and surf the internet at the same time.

Please don't forget to thank me.

Last edited by jamice4u; 05-16-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:23 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamice4u View Post
Can somebody find out what the reg entry is to enable wimax. I believe the Samsung Mondi was a wifi enabled phone can somebody find out what the reg entry for the wimax on that phone is? I don't care about the extra speed I just want the ability to talk and surf the internet at the same time.
HKLM\software\OEM\WiMaxModem

but theres nothing there after that.. i tried adding entries even though i knew it couldnt possible be that simple.. but nothing... i dont live in 4G anyways, so i wouldnt even be able to tell if the wimax modem was running id think..
Old 05-16-2010, 03:27 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamice4u View Post
My guess is it is a generic entry. The wimax entry is just included in the rom since they released HTC MAX 4G which was a wimax phone..there is no FCC info or tear down info of a wimax radio.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

I am unaware of how the telephony works on the network so let me ask a couple of things...

Is it basically VoIP with Sprint atm?
Is it the same with ATT, however they are gsm?

I would imagine that if ATT is capable of data + Voice and I unlocked my phone and have used on their network but tried voice only that it would do data + voice.

So would it not only be a registry entry but also radio firmware and network configuration issue? Kind of like data and voice being on different ports and limiting access?

That is probably completely and udderly wrong but Id imaging only with a radio firmware update and config changes with Sprint to a consumer end would enable it on the 3G network. No WiMax.

Hopefully someone knows... Pretty interesting.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:57 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

What you are asking is a bit vague but I will try to answer it to my interpretation of your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppermine18 View Post
Is it basically VoIP with Sprint atm?
Sprint uses a standard called CDMA which unlike gsm uses ESN numbers embedded into the device itself for identification

Quote:
Is it the same with ATT, however they are gsm?
AT&T can do voice and data at same time because GSM allows it in the specifications.

Quote:
So would it not only be a registry entry but also radio firmware and network configuration issue? Kind of like data and voice being on different ports and limiting access?
It will not work due to the specifications of CDMA.. imagine trying to putting a square in a triangle socket. Later revisions of CDMA do allow voice + data but sprint will most likely not bother updating to that spec..Europe also has WCDMA which uses similar to sim cards but cdma but USA carriers have no interest in it either.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:58 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
My guess is it is a generic entry. The wimax entry is just included in the rom since they released HTC MAX 4G which was a wimax phone..there is no FCC info or tear down info of a wimax radio.
thats how i figured it, well not cuz of those HTC Max though.. but yeah, know it prob didnt have the radio support

did some research.. HTC Max was around Nov. 08 in Russia (and apparently recently in the UK now).. TP1 was around same time wasnt it.. i have a TP1 with 6.1 on it and another TP1 with 6.1 MR update and one more with NRGY 6.5 on it... none of those have a generic entry.. only one i guess that would maybe of had it, wouldve been the MR update one since thats a newer release than the TP1s original shipped ROM..

i knew it was nothing, but he asked for the entry so i told him LOL
Old 05-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
If i remember correctly the newest one in 2010 only adds EVDO and landline VOIP..thats pretty much it. While Airvana the manufacturer of them is licensed for wimax and did demo it's wimax solution there was no mention of wimax in the FCC filing.
Thanks a lot. Going back on that subject real quick, the site has this:

Low-cost Upgrade
EV-DO Rev A base station channel cards can be easily upgraded to Rev B, thereby protecting an operator’s Rev A hardware investment. In some cases, the entire upgrade to Rev B can be achieved without adding any new hardware. Existing base station channel cards and Radio Network Controllers (RNCs) can be upgraded in software, and base station radio transceivers in existing radio modules can be activated to support the new carriers. RNCs, such as those from Airvana that can be clustered using IP RAN technology, can meet the increased capacity needs of Rev B without introducing new EV-DO subnet boundaries. No changes are required to operators’ Packet Data Service Nodes (PDSNs), Home Agents (HAs), or other core network elements.

Backward Compatibility
Rev B carriers will continue to support older Rel 0 and Rev A devices. In addition, new Rev B handsets will continue to receive uninterrupted service from Rel 0 and Rev A networks. This will allow operators to roll out Rev B as needed in critical, high density and high performance markets supporting subscribers with high data ARPU.

So it should support 4g with a simple firmware upgrade. Thanks for the help!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2