PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
shtewps's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: 6700 > Touch > Diamond > TP > TP2
Carrier: Telus Mobility
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 104
Reputation: 135
shtewps is keeping up the good workshtewps is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

Okay, so I just started dabbling with HTC WiFiRouter and I'm floored with how well it works. This really just makes me want to use it as often as I can, but I do have some concerns.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know this app. is undetected by Telus in order to apply tethered data charges. However, if we were to use WModem, the tethered data would be detected.

I am looking to see if anyone can provide me with a technical explanation as to how using WiFiRouter is able to tether data without the carrier knowing. I am assuming it is using the same data transfer routines as your mobile browser, or youtube app. would. But I would love to hear more facts on this if available.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 10:49 PM
trevor_g's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 94
Reputation: 165
trevor_g is keeping up the good worktrevor_g is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

+1. I'd love to know too!

I pay for a wireless USB modem for portable internet from Telus -- in addition to my Touch Pro2. Mainly because I'm too afraid to try the above!

Anyone have any experience doing this?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2009, 10:51 PM
shtewps's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: 6700 > Touch > Diamond > TP > TP2
Carrier: Telus Mobility
Threadstarter
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 104
Reputation: 135
shtewps is keeping up the good workshtewps is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor_g View Post
+1. I'd love to know too!

I pay for a wireless USB modem for portable internet from Telus -- in addition to my Touch Pro2. Mainly because I'm too afraid to try the above!

Anyone have any experience doing this?
lol, I work for a dealer and they are affraid to talk about this app. because they dont want to kill their aircard sales. Rightfully so.

Although I do hope Telus adapts to the needs of the user and the trend of the us where tethering doesnt really mean anything and data becomes unlimited.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2009, 02:23 AM
trevor_g's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 94
Reputation: 165
trevor_g is keeping up the good worktrevor_g is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtewps View Post
lol, I work for a dealer and they are affraid to talk about this app. because they dont want to kill their aircard sales. Rightfully so.

Although I do hope Telus adapts to the needs of the user and the trend of the us where tethering doesnt really mean anything and data becomes unlimited.
Whoa... so does that mean that you've actually done this successfully? No tethering charges using WifiRouter?

Because if so, I'm disconnecting my modem and using my TP2...
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2009, 02:31 AM
MightyMike's Avatar
Retired Staff
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus Mobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,519
Reputation: 78921
MightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor_g View Post
Whoa... so does that mean that you've actually done this successfully? No tethering charges using WifiRouter?

Because if so, I'm disconnecting my modem and using my TP2...
Onlly possible way for telus to track you is if you use WMODEM.exe.

Using WmWifiRouter, ICS, or HTC WifiRouter will result in Stealth Mode
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 AM
WireX's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 24
Reputation: 35
WireX is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

MightyMike has it spot on, as I'd teather through WmWifiRouter on my p4000 all the time, and htc's wifi router now on my tp2 never receiving any additional charges besides my unlimited plan.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2009, 10:34 AM
shtewps's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: 6700 > Touch > Diamond > TP > TP2
Carrier: Telus Mobility
Threadstarter
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 104
Reputation: 135
shtewps is keeping up the good workshtewps is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymike View Post
Onlly possible way for telus to track you is if you use WMODEM.exe.

Using WmWifiRouter, ICS, or HTC WifiRouter will result in Stealth Mode
Exactly what he said ^

Hey mightymike, do you have any information as to why this is? I'd love to know..

Thanks for confirming.. I tested this out for functionality and yes I can also confirm it works very well.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2009, 11:36 AM
tokuzumi's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,074
Reputation: 600
tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

There's probably some type of trigger in the packets sent from the phone by WModem that would indicate the phone is being tethered to a PC. The packets sent using WMWiFiRouter and WiFiRouter are most likely identical to the packets sent when using your web browser on the phone, or any other application on the phone that requires web access.

Edit: And the WModem program probably routes all traffic through one of their servers, just like Opera Mobile/Mini and Skyfire do.
__________________
"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence showing you ever tried" -Someone Really Smart
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2009, 11:43 AM
shtewps's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: 6700 > Touch > Diamond > TP > TP2
Carrier: Telus Mobility
Threadstarter
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 104
Reputation: 135
shtewps is keeping up the good workshtewps is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokuzumi View Post
There's probably some type of trigger in the packets sent from the phone by WModem that would indicate the phone is being tethered to a PC. The packets sent using WMWiFiRouter and WiFiRouter are most likely identical to the packets sent when using your web browser on the phone, or any other application on the phone that requires web access.

Edit: And the WModem program probably routes all traffic through one of their servers, just like Opera Mobile/Mini and Skyfire do.
Opera routes packets through specific Telus servers as opposed to other applications? I didn't know this, do you have any more details.. specifically why?

Interesting...
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 AM
tokuzumi's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,074
Reputation: 600
tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtewps View Post
Opera routes packets through specific Telus servers as opposed to other applications? I didn't know this, do you have any more details.. specifically why?

Interesting...
Opera mobile/mini and Skyfire render the pages on their own servers, and send it down to the phone. Opera mobile/mini and Skyfire are not sending data to Telus servers.

What I was saying in my post is the WModem program probably routes all internet traffic through one of their own servers, when can be tracked by Telus.

Sorry for the confusion.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com