PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=80125)

shtewps 08-19-2009 01:31 PM

Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

Okay, so I just started dabbling with HTC WiFiRouter and I'm floored with how well it works. This really just makes me want to use it as often as I can, but I do have some concerns.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know this app. is undetected by Telus in order to apply tethered data charges. However, if we were to use WModem, the tethered data would be detected.

I am looking to see if anyone can provide me with a technical explanation as to how using WiFiRouter is able to tether data without the carrier knowing. I am assuming it is using the same data transfer routines as your mobile browser, or youtube app. would. But I would love to hear more facts on this if available.

Thanks in advance!

trevor_g 08-19-2009 10:49 PM

Re: Data Tethering & Telus (Seeking info.)

+1. I'd love to know too!

I pay for a wireless USB modem for portable internet from Telus -- in addition to my Touch Pro2. Mainly because I'm too afraid to try the above!

Anyone have any experience doing this?

shtewps 08-19-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevor_g (Post 1111390)
+1. I'd love to know too!

I pay for a wireless USB modem for portable internet from Telus -- in addition to my Touch Pro2. Mainly because I'm too afraid to try the above!

Anyone have any experience doing this?

lol, I work for a dealer and they are affraid to talk about this app. because they dont want to kill their aircard sales. Rightfully so.

Although I do hope Telus adapts to the needs of the user and the trend of the us where tethering doesnt really mean anything and data becomes unlimited.

trevor_g 08-20-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shtewps (Post 1111398)
lol, I work for a dealer and they are affraid to talk about this app. because they dont want to kill their aircard sales. Rightfully so.

Although I do hope Telus adapts to the needs of the user and the trend of the us where tethering doesnt really mean anything and data becomes unlimited.

Whoa... so does that mean that you've actually done this successfully? No tethering charges using WifiRouter?

Because if so, I'm disconnecting my modem and using my TP2...

MightyMike 08-20-2009 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevor_g (Post 1111752)
Whoa... so does that mean that you've actually done this successfully? No tethering charges using WifiRouter?

Because if so, I'm disconnecting my modem and using my TP2...

Onlly possible way for telus to track you is if you use WMODEM.exe.

Using WmWifiRouter, ICS, or HTC WifiRouter will result in Stealth Mode ;)

WireX 08-20-2009 09:26 AM

MightyMike has it spot on, as I'd teather through WmWifiRouter on my p4000 all the time, and htc's wifi router now on my tp2 never receiving any additional charges besides my unlimited plan.

shtewps 08-20-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightymike (Post 1111759)
Onlly possible way for telus to track you is if you use WMODEM.exe.

Using WmWifiRouter, ICS, or HTC WifiRouter will result in Stealth Mode ;)

Exactly what he said ^

Hey mightymike, do you have any information as to why this is? I'd love to know..

Thanks for confirming.. I tested this out for functionality and yes I can also confirm it works very well.

tokuzumi 08-20-2009 11:36 AM

There's probably some type of trigger in the packets sent from the phone by WModem that would indicate the phone is being tethered to a PC. The packets sent using WMWiFiRouter and WiFiRouter are most likely identical to the packets sent when using your web browser on the phone, or any other application on the phone that requires web access.

Edit: And the WModem program probably routes all traffic through one of their servers, just like Opera Mobile/Mini and Skyfire do.

shtewps 08-20-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokuzumi (Post 1112234)
There's probably some type of trigger in the packets sent from the phone by WModem that would indicate the phone is being tethered to a PC. The packets sent using WMWiFiRouter and WiFiRouter are most likely identical to the packets sent when using your web browser on the phone, or any other application on the phone that requires web access.

Edit: And the WModem program probably routes all traffic through one of their servers, just like Opera Mobile/Mini and Skyfire do.

Opera routes packets through specific Telus servers as opposed to other applications? I didn't know this, do you have any more details.. specifically why?

Interesting...

tokuzumi 08-20-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shtewps (Post 1112252)
Opera routes packets through specific Telus servers as opposed to other applications? I didn't know this, do you have any more details.. specifically why?

Interesting...

Opera mobile/mini and Skyfire render the pages on their own servers, and send it down to the phone. Opera mobile/mini and Skyfire are not sending data to Telus servers.

What I was saying in my post is the WModem program probably routes all internet traffic through one of their own servers, when can be tracked by Telus.

Sorry for the confusion.