PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Droid (BB v1.1, 1.2ghz), BB Tour, BB Bold, Mogul
Carrier: VZN, ATT, Sprint

chancellar is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How's the browser?

Hello all,

Just curious about the browsing experience for those of you with the TP2.

How is the native browser? How does it stack up the experience of using a WebOS based browser? Does it render fast? Is it responsive? How does it compare to other phones like the Iphone or Palm Pre?

I used to have a TP on Sprint but I found the web surfing experience to be abysmal. The browser was slow to render pages and the screen was both inaccurate and unresponsive. I'm using a BB Tour right now and even though the native BB browser pales in comparison to a webOS browser, I sortof like the speed and efficiency. Sometimes its easier just to look at text or mobile sites than view full HTML on a phone.

I'm interested in the upcoming TP2 on VZN but I hope HTC improved the web surfing experience significantly from the last TP.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Focus (unlocked)
Carrier: Telus

jessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to jessiethe3rd
Re: How's the browser?

I am typing this message to you in the Opera browser included with the touch p2. It is about the best browsing experience I have used so far bar maybe the iPhone which is very good. Easily the best windows mobile phone experience. The large screen makes things very nice!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC DESIRE HD

vakbrain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvakbrain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvakbrain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Opera browser is good. Web pages are shown correctly. I've experimented some problem with some javascript scripts though. Flash is not supported in the current version of Opera and that's too bad

Maybe I will give a try to the Opera 9.7 beta version ...
Old 08-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

chancellar is a n00b

Good to hear! I really hope the speed and responsiveness have improved since the first TP!

I might have to return my Tour next week and wait for the VZN TP2 to drop.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:41 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

op, waat opera build on tp were you using? i run 16277 and its fast as hell.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

chancellar is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
op, waat opera build on tp were you using? i run 16277 and its fast as hell.
I'm not sure as I no longer have the phone. It would have been whatever build came with the Sprint version.

I hear a lot about the cuztom builds improving the phone. Are there any videos comparing a custom ROM with the standard one?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:05 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancellar View Post
I'm not sure as I no longer have the phone. It would have been whatever build came with the Sprint version.

I hear a lot about the cuztom builds improving the phone. Are there any videos comparing a custom ROM with the standard one?
im stock but opera wasnt, stock build was not nearly as fast as the build i use. not sure if the tp2 will be faster by much, hardware is almost the same.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

hows the touch screen response jessie?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (soon I hope)
Carrier: Verizon
Location: Currently.....the worlds largest waterless beach....AKA Iraq :(

GCPDpaul is a n00b

yeah I am interested in the touch screen responsiveness too. Specifically concerning clicking on links....seeing as it is a much bigger screen than the original TP, I would assume it is much better.

Jessiethe3rd, can you enlighten us please?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Focus (unlocked)

jessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to jessiethe3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_maniac View Post
hows the touch screen response jessie?
I don't know about you but i always got massively irritated with the response time of the Touch Pro. I was constantly trying to adjust the sensetivity to make it extremely responsive. Well I'll tell you right now, not necessary on the Touch Pro2. Sometime when the lights right you can catch the sensors... there appears to be a lot more on the TP2.

I would venture to say this is about as sensetivy a touch resistive screen I have ever used... and smooth. No... not as good quite as an iPhone... then again I can use my stylus. There's no question that the page file must be massive to run Windows Mobile so darn smooth!

Typed on my TP2... pardon the mistakes.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2