PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 01:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC DESIRE HD
Carrier: Telus

vakbrain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvakbrain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvakbrain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC Pro 2 vs. Telus HSPA

The following text was took off a news sent to Telus mobility employees few days ago :

Quote:
Recently, we have received calls and e-mails from clients asking if our CDMA world phones (BB Storm, BB Tour, HTC Pro2 and the HTC Snap) will work on TELUS' HSPA network. If you receive a call about this, be sure to advise the client that these CDMA world phones will not work on TELUS' HSPA network.

Although some of our CDMA world phones are capable of operating on HSPA networks located overseas, these devices will not work on TELUS' HSPA network.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: BB Tour/iPhone 3G S
Carrier: Rogers/TELUS

Kronk86 is just getting started

^ The post above was an internal document.

One of the previous posters was correct, through software it is technically possible to change the frequency, however, TELUS does not support it.

Therefore, you would have to buy a regular HSPA smartphone from TELUS (to get a data plan etc.) and then make the software mod to your Touch Pro2 and swap SIMS.

The person who left the screen shot. That is great and all, but it still won't work without modifying the phone. I work with them every day.

In the end, one would have to go through a lot of trouble just to use the TP2 on the new HSPA network. Why bother when there are going to be several way better phones coming out?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD, TP2
Carrier: AT&T, Sprint

manicottiK is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk86 View Post
...through software it is technically possible to change the frequency...
Assuming a "replacement" ROM, is that software support enough to allow the device to be used on the Telus or AT&T HSPA networks? Or is additional hardware (radios, antennas, etc) needed that is not part of what Telus (and presumably Sprint and Verizon) purchase from HTC?

If a hacked ROM is enough, then the CDMA flavor of the TP2 is in some ways better than the version that AT&T will sell because it can do both EV-DO Rev A and HSDPA here in the States, do HSDPA overseas (which AT&T's version can't because it claims to be 850+1900 without 2100), and it has the standard 3.5mm headphone jack.

Sprint is sending me an eval unit of their TP2 and I'm willing to sacrifice it in the name of science, but only if failure isn't already a foregone conclusion.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: BB Tour/iPhone 3G S
Carrier: Rogers/TELUS

Kronk86 is just getting started

When i say additional hardware i mean they are not going to allow you to swap in on to their HSPA network. You would have to do a few things first:

1) Buy a current TELUS HSPA smartphone.
2) Unlock the TP2
3) Use a ROM to switch frequencies (only recommended to advanced users as it may brick your phone)
4) Swap the SIM card from the current HSPA TELUS Branded phone into the HTC TP2.

Not everyone is going to be able to unlock the handset. You could always pay to have it done. Furthermore, you would have to purchase a NEW TELUS HSPA smartphone.

If you LOVE the TP2 that much and have and extra $600+ laying around to buy yet another phone, then I say go for it.

Otherwise, use one of the BETTER TELUS HSPA phones that are coming out.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD, TP2
Carrier: AT&T, Sprint

manicottiK is a n00b

The Touch HD is an example of HTC not releasing a high-end HSPA device that operates in the U.S. and overseas. The TP2 appears to be a repeat of that, but maybe it isn't. (That is, the AT&T version that's coming in October will have 850+1900 for HSPA, but not 2100.) It may be that HTC actually is selling an HSPA world phone, but only to the CDMA carriers and only with the North American frequencies locked off via software. I find this weirdly intriguing.

The open question is, excluding the issues of unlocking the handset and replacing the OS and radio ROM images, does the CDMA version of the TP2 contain everything that it needs to get onto another carrier's HSPA network, if the user had an appropriate account with that carrier and a SIM from the carrier? Or, does the CDMA TP2 not contain 850 and 1900 radios, antennas, or other required hardware?

Is Telus' TP2 a software-disabled HSPA world phone or are imaginations running wild because the Qualcomm spec sheet says that the MSM7600 is sometimes configured with three radios and because the screen snapshot on the previous page shows many frequencies, which may or may not have corresponding hardware to make them operate?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: telus

misticwarrior is a n00b

Anyone figured out how to make this works ?? Anyone got something in progress or is it totally impossible ?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Rogers/Telus

patrickrivard is a n00b

Does anyone know if the HSPA frequency has been unlocked for the TP2 yet?
If not, I have Some money available to get this done. To me it is worth as much as getting a new phone so you can guess the amount...

Please only post replies if you can help achieve this request.

Thank you

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2