PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus
Threadstarter

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How To: Configure GPS

The gpsOne settings will not be effected by a hard-reset, the .cab settings will.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

northernpenguin is keeping up the good worknorthernpenguin is keeping up the good work

Well, I think I'm officially giving up on the GPS on my Telus Touch Pro 2, and will be pairing it with a bluetooth device. Had no GPS problems on my Vogue but this has been a nightmare.

Telus Navigator won't run, Google gives me cell phone triangulation only.

Somehow I managed to kill the GPS with one of the following programs:
Google Maps, GCz or Garmin Mobile XT.

All I know is that the GPS died before I went anywhere near QPST or QuickGPS. Telus doesn't include QuickGPS on the phone so I grabbed the SWTOS VGA one, and it didn't do anything (Connection Failed). It worked for 4 days then after a soft-reset, it refuses to get a lock. Ever. Even if I leave it outside for over one hour.

Today I hard reset the device, tried the Telus CAB. No good. Tried QPST/GPSOne settings. No good.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:52 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2

O'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Yahoo to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Skype™ to O'Neil Mitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernpenguin View Post
Well, I think I'm officially giving up on the GPS on my Telus Touch Pro 2, and will be pairing it with a bluetooth device. Had no GPS problems on my Vogue but this has been a nightmare.

Somehow I managed to kill the GPS with one of the following programs:
Google Maps, GCz or Garmin Mobile XT.

All I know is that the GPS died before I went anywhere near QPST or QuickGPS. Telus doesn't include QuickGPS on the phone so I grabbed the SWTOS VGA one, and it didn't do anything (Connection Failed). It worked for 4 days then after a soft-reset, it refuses to get a lock. Ever. Even if I leave it outside for over one hour.

Today I hard reset the device, tried the Telus CAB. No good. Tried QPST/GPSOne settings. No good.

Bring the phone back and get a new one. There is a 15 days window where you can get a full return, not a referb. Head to the store where you got it and tell them your having issue with the handset and want a new one. I brought the first one I got back, there was a small gap between the phone and battery cover.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

northernpenguin is keeping up the good worknorthernpenguin is keeping up the good work

Since Telus Navigator isn't coming up either, I have their support team working on it. I'll give them another day or so then take it back to the store for an exchange.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: telus

lecet444 is a n00b

i think i changed postion calculation to just mobile....could that be the reason that it only works if there is cellphone signal
Old 08-11-2009, 10:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

andsoitgoes is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernpenguin View Post

I found out that to get Telus Navigator to run, they have to add it to your account first.

Try that before you ship it back.

But I hear your frustration. It's working for me, intermittently. And it's driving me crazy. I wish you luck.

Custom roms may resolve it, I know it did with my replacement P4000.

Also - did you do a PROPER hard reset, rather than the "Clear Storage"?

Honestly I dont' know if it makes a difference, but it's worth trying.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
I found out that to get Telus Navigator to run, they have to add it to your account first.

Try that before you ship it back.

But I hear your frustration. It's working for me, intermittently. And it's driving me crazy. I wish you luck.

Custom roms may resolve it, I know it did with my replacement P4000.

Also - did you do a PROPER hard reset, rather than the "Clear Storage"?

Honestly I dont' know if it makes a difference, but it's worth trying.
Yup, they're billing me for Telus Navigator so it better be on the account, but I'll bet it isn't. Throws an error [2001] when I try to run that program. I did both resets, first the "clear storage" then the proper hold down buttons reset.

What I'd *really* like to see is someone rip the QuickGPS from a non-crippled Touch Pro 2 and put the CAB somewhere. I know the Diamond 2 QuickGPS was out making the rounds but I'll be darned if I can find that CAB anywhere now (everythingdiamond.info removed the links). I did notice there is a version number jump to 1.0.1911.1733 on the Diamond 2 QuickGPS, and I wonder if that is a factor to why I can't run the older QuickGPS cabs on my device.

Also another update - my wife's TP2 isn't doing GPS anymore, and that one is running totally the way Telus gave it to us - no REG files, no CAB files or QPST.

Here's hoping that the WM6.5 Official ROM comes sooner than later so we can safely load up some custom, GPS enabled ones on our devices without worrying about warranty too much. I already miss NFSFAN on my Vogue.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

andsoitgoes is becoming a great contributor

I had the same issue with my Navigator, so you're not at all alone

I've been trying to hunt down the QuickGPS as well, I used one before... but it did me no good on my p4000 until I loaded the custom rom.

I doubt that they'll be quick on the 6.5 rom. I just don't think we're that lucky... one can hope though.

I may be taking mine back to Best Buy if I can't get some consistency, though. For example I tried in the office again today and got a lock of 7, whem I'm about 20 feet away from an outside wall in about 30 seconds, but earlier it took me starting/stopping/starting the GPS signal on Google Maps about 4 times.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Lurker

djthechemist is a n00b

wait...so i know im new to this, and a bit confused
but i do NOT have a data plan, infact i deleted it, and took it off my account
if the phone has an GPS device built in, does this mean it does not incur any data charges? is this what this thread is about? if not, someone please set me straight lol.

not that i care to use my GPS, but it would be a cool feature, if it DID NOT use data. so i guess thats where im confused most. TIA
Old 08-12-2009, 04:38 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by djthechemist View Post
wait...so i know im new to this, and a bit confused
but i do NOT have a data plan, infact i deleted it, and took it off my account
if the phone has an GPS device built in, does this mean it does not incur any data charges? is this what this thread is about? if not, someone please set me straight lol.

not that i care to use my GPS, but it would be a cool feature, if it DID NOT use data. so i guess thats where im confused most. TIA
The GPS functionality itself does NOT use a data connection. An application like Telus Navigator which ties the GPS into mapping type software does.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2