PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 03:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2
Carrier: TELUS

slaman is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How's the browser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjday7 View Post
Very informative and I am glad you pointed this out. What is the version number for opera on the telus version of the tp 2?
Version 9.5 Build 16844
Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC hero
Carrier: Sprint

jjday7 is keeping up the good workjjday7 is keeping up the good work

I tried out the tmobile version and I have to agree. the screen is not sensitive at all and it took a few times trying to get links to pop up. I notice that it only happens in opera and not the ui. My touches always registered everywhere else.

the slider is not very good either. I love the phone but those two things are annoying. I think a custom rom will fix both those things.

I know someone will come up with a way to make the slider work in other apps also.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Droid (BB v1.1, 1.2ghz), BB Tour, BB Bold, Mogul
Carrier: VZN, ATT, Sprint
Threadstarter

chancellar is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaman View Post
I hate the browser... but hey, that's because the only thing I am comparing it to is the iPhone. Problems include:

- when I scroll, it keeps moving long after I've removed my finger. I can't stop scrolling by tapping screen

- when I click a link and it doesn't recognize it, it does a random page down, making it extremely annoying to find your spot again

- the zoom slider is a must, but unfortunately, only the STOCK version of Opera works with it - Skyfire, IE, and Opera beta does not work with it

- double-tapping works inconsistently (as does the slider) - sometimes it simply does not register

- filling in text fields is frustrating - I click the spot, and it doesn't recognize it... I find touching links basically unusuable unless I slide out the keyboard and navigate using the cursor and enter key

thought I'd give a balanced perspective since this thread was full of positive comments. The above points make browsing EXTREMELY annoying.
Thanks for the perspective. I know its unfair to always compare phones to the Iphone but I feel like a new standard has been set for touch screen phones when it comes to web browsing. I'm glad I found out that the TP2 doesn't rise to the standard at least not yet.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Droid (BB v1.1, 1.2ghz), BB Tour, BB Bold, Mogul
Carrier: VZN, ATT, Sprint
Threadstarter

chancellar is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjday7 View Post
I tried out the tmobile version and I have to agree. the screen is not sensitive at all and it took a few times trying to get links to pop up. I notice that it only happens in opera and not the ui. My touches always registered everywhere else.

the slider is not very good either. I love the phone but those two things are annoying. I think a custom rom will fix both those things.

I know someone will come up with a way to make the slider work in other apps also.
Good to receive more critical opinions. Do you think that a ROM build can compensate for the lack of a capacitive screen when it comes to browsing?

Do you guys think the lack of responsiveness in the browser is due to the screen or processor/memory?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2
Carrier: TELUS

slaman is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancellar View Post
Good to receive more critical opinions. Do you think that a ROM build can compensate for the lack of a capacitive screen when it comes to browsing?

Do you guys think the lack of responsiveness in the browser is due to the screen or processor/memory?
I don't think it's the screen... I thought it was the software to be honest. I tried installing the beta browser, but because the scroll doesn't work, I gave up on it. If anything, it's the screen. I think the processor also slows down the UI as well - sometimes it "skips"... the D3D driver helped things though.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: T-Mobile

VDubb is a n00b

Is there a way to set the Opera Mobile browser as the default and have it replace IE on the Internet tab?

- VDubb
Old 08-13-2009, 03:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

Huggybear is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakbrain View Post
Opera browser is good. Web pages are shown correctly. I've experimented some problem with some javascript scripts though. Flash is not supported in the current version of Opera and that's too bad

Maybe I will give a try to the Opera 9.7 beta version ...
I used Opera when I got my phone, but for some reason it says my trial expired. So, I downloaded Skyfire and I haven't looked back. The javascript issue you refer to is solved with Skyfire.

The ONLY drawback is you can't open multiple tabs. I think they are working on that one though.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Focus (unlocked)

jessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to jessiethe3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDubb View Post
Is there a way to set the Opera Mobile browser as the default and have it replace IE on the Internet tab?

- VDubb
Opera is the default browser in HTC Home screen. I find it opens some links in PIE in certain apps... may need to change the defaul throughout.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

VDubb has t-mobile, who apparently set IE as the default browser. Opera is installed, however....
Old 08-13-2009, 04:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Huggybear is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakbrain View Post
Opera browser is good. Web pages are shown correctly. I've experimented some problem with some javascript scripts though. Flash is not supported in the current version of Opera and that's too bad

Maybe I will give a try to the Opera 9.7 beta version ...
I used Opera when I got my phone, but for some reason it says my trial expired. So, I downloaded Skyfire and I haven't looked back. The javascript issue you refer to is solved with Skyfire.

The ONLY drawback are you can't open multiple tabs and it doesn't seem to be in tune with the G-Sensor, so it doens't auto switch to landscape. I think they are working on these though.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2