PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Telus Touch Pro 2 - support Video call? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78177)

Azrael 08-06-2009 01:22 AM

Telus Touch Pro 2 - support Video call?

hi guys...I'm deaf and I'm looking forward to see if it supports video call.

I'm well aware Rogers has the Xperia-1, but it's 2 years old, and has a smaller screen - yet it supports video calls.

Could any of you confirm if it supports video calls or not? According to various sources it's supposed to, but I'm unable to verify if Telus does...or not.

thanks guys!

James (Calgary)

slaman 08-06-2009 01:26 AM

Re: Telus Touch Pro 2 - support Video call?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azrael (Post 1084453)

I'm well aware Rogers has the Xperia-1, but it's 2 years old, and has a smaller screen - yet it supports video calls.

Could any of you confirm if it supports video calls or not? According to various sources it's supposed to, but I'm unable to verify if Telus does...or not.

thanks guys!

James (Calgary)

Hey James,

I tried Skype Mobile and video calling wasn't an option. Given that the camera is on the back of the phone, I doubt that this phone has native support for it...

gTen 08-06-2009 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azrael (Post 1084453)

thanks guys!

James (Calgary)

From my understanding CDMA does not support Video Call because you can't have video and data at same time..They took out all front cameras from all CDMA TP2s. Of course there is things like Skype and other VOIP solutions but we all know how carriers like those (some I think it is against contract to use VOIP)
________
Free Adult Streaming

Azrael 08-06-2009 11:23 AM

I don't get it...we have all this technology, and no carrier/bandwidth to support it?
It's making headway in Europe, even Russia. Heck, Rogers supports it.

Talk about taking 2 steps forward, and 5 steps back. Yeesh.

I'm not locked in any contract and I'm tempted to make the switch to Rogers, but the Xperia has a tiny screen just like my Diamond. Plus the new Tegra based devices coming out in Zune HD (may be phone ready, but doubt it)....argh...decisions decisions.

It's like a prom date coming up, and you don't know if you want to go, or who to go out with...what a pathetic dilemma. lol

Azrael 08-06-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaman (Post 1084456)
Hey James,

I tried Skype Mobile and video calling wasn't an option. Given that the camera is on the back of the phone, I doubt that this phone has native support for it...

curious...but have you tried this one?

http://qik.com/

Azrael 08-06-2009 11:36 AM

In case we're not clear here...but from HTC Touch Pro 2/Rhodium - it supports video call (with a front facing video camera). Naturally not all carriers want to support it, so they'd have the device remove.

Check HTC's referral

http://www.htc.com/www/product/touch...ification.html

gTen 08-06-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azrael (Post 1084816)
In case we're not clear here...but from HTC Touch Pro 2/Rhodium - it supports video call (with a front facing video camera). Naturally not all carriers want to support it, so they'd have the device remove.

Check HTC's referral

http://www.htc.com/www/product/touch...ification.html

As I said the TP2 had a front camera but all CDMA providers removed it. You cannot have native video calls through CDMA..only through VOIP.

You can notice this by if you use CDMA and surf the internet and then get a phone call your internet is interrupted. GSM on the other hand supports Video calls.

This is a limitation of CDMA technology in general...only way to go around it while still using CDMA is to have 2x CDMA receivers instead of 1 which no phone yet has done. Due to advancing Technologies like LTE and Wimax I doubt CDMA will get much headway in the future.
________
LovelyWendie

Azrael 08-06-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1084830)
As I said the TP2 had a front camera but all CDMA providers removed it. You cannot have native video calls through CDMA..only through VOIP.

You can notice this by if you use CDMA and surf the internet and then get a phone call your internet is interrupted. GSM on the other hand supports Video calls.

This is a limitation of CDMA technology in general...only way to go around it while still using CDMA is to have 2x CDMA receivers instead of 1 which no phone yet has done. Due to advancing Technologies like LTE and Wimax I doubt CDMA will get much headway in the future.

If Telus uses CDMA - then the rationale here is their carrier will not support video calls. Period.

If that's the case, then it's time for me to switch over to GSM.

Thank you.

Rogers - here I come!!!

Azrael 08-06-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1084830)

If Telus uses CDMA - then the rationale here is their carrier will not support video calls. Period.

If that's the case, then it's time for me to switch over to GSM.

Thank you.

Rogers - here I come!!!

jessiethe3rd 08-06-2009 06:00 PM

Be advised that Telus is rigging up their HSPA network... Video calling isn't used a lot even over seas where it is touted... it's somewhat of a fad that has seemly died out. Bing it and you'll see what I mean.