PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 02:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6850
Carrier: Sprint

ls3mach is keeping up the good workls3mach is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Telus Touch Pro 2 - support Video call?

I am not familiar with Canadian providers, but as said if it is a CDMA carrier native voice and data is not supported. It is one of the 2 major drawbacks of CDMA. You can however use voice and wifi and possibly achieve these results or VOIP via either the CDMA or wifi radio. Not sure if there is software out that supports either of these. The other drawback of CDMA is the lack of SIM cards. Having said all of that. I think someone will unlock the use of the GSM phone radios for this device. If that happens I am getting me some GSM data. This opens the door for virtually anything. It also makes me happy in my pants...
Old 08-08-2009, 07:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

junkiee is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Everywhere I have read articles about video calling overseas, 90% of the time they write about how it's a feature that 99% of customers don't use... this is quite a large endevour for take on with an existing system. even if the TP2 was able to prefrom video calls, basically only other TP2's would be able to receive them; no other phone on the CDMA network has the ability receive a call. the software on the phone just wouldn't know what to do with it...
Old 08-08-2009, 07:36 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkiee View Post
Everywhere I have read articles about video calling overseas, 90% of the time they write about how it's a feature that 99% of customers don't use... this is quite a large endevour for take on with an existing system. even if the TP2 was able to prefrom video calls, basically only other TP2's would be able to receive them; no other phone on the CDMA network has the ability receive a call. the software on the phone just wouldn't know what to do with it...
They don't use it because its not very good or reliable...

1) you have to hod the phone in front of you all the time

2) The signal has to be reliable for both regular and data

I think the time it becomes more popular is with advancements of LTE and Wimax and preferably some 3d video capturing technology. As I can see mobile meetings may become more popular.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-08-2009, 07:42 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
I don't get it...we have all this technology, and no carrier/bandwidth to support it?
we will never surpass our bandwith limitations.... people dont understand, we will always be bound to this... weve already reached are limits in cell tech... all they can do is refine what they already have and make the chips process the info faster.. example- we'll never have cable tv on our phones... well have apps to stream it(channer, slingbox,orb,etc) but it will never actually be ON our phones...

theres a very popular theory on all this-bandwith limits and cell phone tech.. im trying to run down the name, but its like the guys last name with the word "theory' at the end i believe.. My uncle had to study this theory and was chosen to present it to sprint about 2 yrs ago.. like i said ill try to run it down, ill prob make a new thread about it in a diff forum, because even though yes, its a theory, its very very convincing.. enough so, that all the major carriers took one rep to come and give a personal presentation on all this...

back to the OP... if it doesnt have a forward facing cam, its not gonna happen.. plus what would be the point without a F.F.C anyways... might as well use the QIK app then lol....

Telus is cdma correct?? you cant do data and phone at same time on cdma(as other might have already said)...

here my questions though?
1) is Telus' TP2 quad band(gsm AND cdma) like sprints and VZWs will be?
2) does the cdma AND gsm mean that in theory they should support video calls?

all be it no forward facing cam still, if the answer to those question are both yes, then im sure someone will write the neccessary info up eventually...

**side note** you'd think there would be a mini usb camera... something we could plug in if in fact you had any phone(new,old, or not out yet) that supported video calls but didnt have a forward facing cam...

**edit** few other posts were done while typing... the guy that said vid calling is dead or dying overseas...maybe in europe, but asia, japan, all the far east places video calling is still the popular feature on almost all devices... everything there is far diff from here... example: in US txt spamming hasnt even begun to explode due to our carriers saftey nets... in asia, it estimated upto 50 a day can still make through to the actual device,alot of these are video advertisments even

.. FYI people, unsolicited txt spam is illegal in US and u can get upto $500 a txt in reward

sorry, stoned..im done lol

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 08-08-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:51 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
1) is Telus' TP2 quad band(gsm AND cdma) like sprints and VZWs will be?
From what I heard yes

Quote:
2) does the cdma AND gsm mean that in theory they should support video calls?
Well IN "Theory" if you can setup your device on a gsm network you can video call..but as long as your on CDMA the only way you can get a videocall is over VOIP

As for what you said...I don't know 5G seems pretty damn nice:

NASA researching 'nanosats' for orbiting 5G space network

networkworld.com — NASA is teaming with Machine-to-Machine Intelligence Corporation (m2mi) to create a global networking system using small satellites they call "nanosats." Together, they intend to develop swarms of spacecrafts weighing between 11 and 110 pounds, which will be placed in low Earth orbit to create a 5G commercial telecom and networking systems.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/27224
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:27 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
From what I heard yes

Well IN "Theory" if you can setup your device on a gsm network you can video call..but as long as your on CDMA the only way you can get a videocall is over VOIP

As for what you said...I don't know 5G seems pretty damn nice:

NASA researching 'nanosats' for orbiting 5G space network

networkworld.com — NASA is teaming with Machine-to-Machine Intelligence Corporation (m2mi) to create a global networking system using small satellites they call "nanosats." Together, they intend to develop swarms of spacecrafts weighing between 11 and 110 pounds, which will be placed in low Earth orbit to create a 5G commercial telecom and networking systems.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/27224
thats what im saying, how is the gsm side of things gonna work on these phones.. i mean technically since AT&T is all over my area, i can just pop in a sim and im on gsm, right?? i dont have to go overseas.. so if its just a flick of a switch so to speak and gsm is that accessible, video calls should be no prob really...

the rest is very intersting stuff actually... but the problem i dont think isnt our abilities to transmit, it our devices physical limitations to recieve.. cell towers are the way to go... satellite tv, junk! satellite internet, garbage! i dont think using satellites to run our networks will solve very much.. i know a traditional sat comm(phone) will work anywhere and in just about any situation, but i dunno about runnin data and all that jazz off it.. very very intersesting though.. hadnt heard this yet..
Old 08-08-2009, 09:27 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
thats what im saying, how is the gsm side of things gonna work on these phones.. i mean technically since AT&T is all over my area, i can just pop in a sim and im on gsm, right?? i dont have to go overseas.. so if its just a flick of a switch so to speak and gsm is that accessible, video calls should be no prob really...

the rest is very intersting stuff actually... but the problem i dont think isnt our abilities to transmit, it our devices physical limitations to recieve.. cell towers are the way to go... satellite tv, junk! satellite internet, garbage! i dont think using satellites to run our networks will solve very much.. i know a traditional sat comm(phone) will work anywhere and in just about any situation, but i dunno about runnin data and all that jazz off it.. very very intersesting though.. hadnt heard this yet..

Well At&t you may be able to use unlocked from what I heard but HSPDA is a different story.

As for the satellites..your thinking in perspective of now. These satellites used for Direct TV for example..they got 9 satellites I think..these new ones will be a lot smaller in size..we are talking about 100 pounds and less...so If we can launch say 10,000 of them or more....

Lets use even GPS as an example..max ive seen was like what 7 satellites for signal? imagine locking on to say 1000 of them.

Also don't forget that since NASA is operated by the government they don't need to worry about frequencies as they could use theirs, of course they will probably get support of other nations if it progresses well.

As for devices in general, don't be so sure..generally speaking we still have ways to go..read this:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/05/u...s-reliable-in/

Also, there is a lot of stuff put into our devices that take up way more space then they should..even with todays technology..I'm sure we could shrink the insides of a TP to 1/10th the size(even the battery)..how much that would cost is another story...but in 10 years it may be more affordable.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:33 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

all your logic is good, i agree.. however the govt can have its own frequencies, but theyll never get carriers to unify on one signal.. its might be 5G(maybe cuz of speeds theyd call it that) but it really would just be another cdma, gsm type network to run off of instead... maybe well have cdma, gsm, and Technology1 for networks... afterall if its about phones and outerspace Tech1 had to of come up with it LOL

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 08-08-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:43 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
all your logic is good, i agree.. however the govt can have its own frequencies, but theyll never get carriers to unify on one signal.. its would be 5G(maybe cuz of speeds theyd call it that) but it really would just be another cdma, gsm type network to run off of instead
Thats not true, take NYC for example. Did you know all but 1 phone line is owned by Verizon? (Verizon has to lease the lines at standard rates to others) Also the MTA (our subway) is a private company funded by the government.

When you are talking about global 5g which is government funded..the carriers would have no choice but to join in...

1) any company that joins would have huge advantage over competition, and would cut down on costs a lot.

2) the government can theoretically halt all GSM and CDMA signals if they wanted to..like for example they did that in 2012 I think no light bulb can use up more then X energy..thus making all the common light bulbs illegal...well suck it up...law is law.

or even better..imagine the FCC stops accepting CDMA and GSM devices..stating that all cellphones must have the 5g similar to how they have 911..

Last edited by gTen; 08-08-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:55 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

ah, the government cant just cease all signals..

first, theyd have to site the patriot act or something, since cell jamming is illegal by anyone..

second, the carrier pay fees for spectrum and its licenses.. not the government couldnt afford to pay it, but theyd get sued by every carrier there is..

i guess if you look at more in the prespective of the DTV now... basically the government forced that.. and it was join us, or not be able to broadcast anymore..

yeah i guess after saying that, i see what you mean... but at the same time, i dont think the government could do that... it would be along the same lines as not allowing free will in consumer choice... the government cant say use our network and noone elses, that hinders our free will to chose between cdma and gsm devices...

i dunno, its a decent argument both ways IMO, then again, im arguing one of the sides so im not really impartial here lol...

i think if the govt really tried to Standardize a network and forced all manufactures to adhere to those bands and thats it, all hell wold break lose..... people dont like when they govt tells them what to do...

and honestly, lets forget a National Cell Network, what kind of cash we dumping into that every yr.. how bout some National heath care instead lol

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2