PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Lower your rate plan when buying a TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77862)

J0NNYBRAV0 08-03-2009 08:05 PM

Lower your rate plan when buying a TP2

This isn't a special trick or coupon offer or anything like that, it's more like a suggestion. When I walked out of the Telus store after pruchasing my Touch Pro 2, I left with more features, more airtime minutes and a lower monthly bill!

It may seem obvious, but to those who are buying a TP2, request get on the line with Telus and first of all ask for any special offers that they can give you. I instantly got $150 the sale price (I was buying mine with no contract). After that I asked if there was any way to lower my monthly bill.

My plan was ok, but I wasn't satisfied. Here is what I previously had:
$30 - Your Choice 30 (150 anytime minutes plus 1000 texts per month)
$5 - Call Display
$5 - Voicemail 5
$15 - Unlimited data plan (unlimted email, IM, web browsing. This was actually a sick deal I got with my Diamond)
Free evenings and weekends
Total: $55/month, not to mention access fees and taxes.

I left with:
$20 - Sweet Deal 20 (200 anytime minutes)
$10 - Loyalty package 15 (call display, voicemail 5, unlimited texting!!!)
$15 - Unlimited data plan
Free evening and weekends
Total: $45/month

So, I lowered my rate plan by $10 while also gaining unlimted texting and 50 more anytime minutes! Not to mention the $150 off my phone, and selling my Diamond for $200 :D

Give it a try! It's worth a shot. Oh any by the way, the TP2 is AMAZING! I love it.

CovKid66 08-03-2009 10:39 PM

Re: Lower your rate plan when buying a TP2

Just to be clear, as I'm about to buy mine tomorrow....

You bought yours in a store by the sounds of it, but got your deals / discounts over the phone / online? And if so, you did that from within the store at the time you were about to buy the hardware?

I'm also switching from Bell so I'm hoping that might help ;)

J0NNYBRAV0 08-03-2009 10:59 PM

Ya, I bought it in a Telus store, but before I even payed for it, I asked the guy to call up Telus for me so I could try and get some discounts. So I swindled my way to a small discount and also lowered my rate plan. I assume they become pretty flexible once they find out you're buying a brand new phone, so it worked out pretty well for me.

You can probably use the "I'm considering switching to Telus from Bell" line in order to get some lowered rate plans. It's a perfect time to bargain since every company is trying hard to get sales. And if Telus can take your business away from Bell, I'm sure they will do whatever they can to get you. Use that to your advantage :)

CovKid66 08-03-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J0NNYBRAV0 (Post 1079988)
Ya, I bought it in a Telus store, but before I even payed for it, I asked the guy to call up Telus for me so I could try and get some discounts. So I swindled my way to a small discount and also lowered my rate plan. I assume they become pretty flexible once they find out you're buying a brand new phone, so it worked out pretty well for me.

You can probably use the "I'm considering switching to Telus from Bell" line in order to get some lowered rate plans. It's a perfect time to bargain since every company is trying hard to get sales. And if Telus can take your business away from Bell, I'm sure they will do whatever they can to get you. Use that to your advantage :)

Perfect, thanks man. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and see what I can get.

pbeaul 08-04-2009 04:50 AM

I just recently picked up a TP2 and I managed to get a similar deal... Though mine was through the retention department.

For 45/month
- 200 anytime minutes (via sweet 20 deal)
- CID/VM 10 (free because I had Mike)
- Unlimited texting
- Unlimited E/W calls after 6pm
- Unlimited Data

Overall I'm fairly pleased... I love this phone but the battery life could be way better... or I need to stop playing with it.

drewcam888 08-04-2009 09:01 AM

So in Canada you have to pay extra for caller id and voice mail? That is crazy

CovKid66 08-04-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covkid66 (Post 1080028)
Perfect, thanks man. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and see what I can get.

Well, they wouldn't budge on the price of the hardware...probably because I wasn't a Telus customer, so I went with the 3yr @ $249.99. Got what I consider, compared to what I had with Corporate Bell anyway, a great deal on the plan....

Sweet 20 / 200 minutes
Free E&W 6pm-7am
CID / VM
500MB for email / IM / web
Unlimited text
SAF / 911
$55

For $10 more I can bump the data up to 6GB, but I've checked my usage and the 500MB is ample for now. I may use more data with the sweet screen on this thing, but I'll wait and see.

Off to play :mrgreen:

:wav: HAPPY DANCE :wav:

J0NNYBRAV0 08-04-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covkid66 (Post 1080986)

For $10 more I can bump the data up to 6GB, but I've checked my usage and the 500MB is ample for now. I may use more data with the sweet screen on this thing, but I'll wait and see.

Off to play :mrgreen:

Ya, 500mb is probably more than enough for most. It just feels better telling people "I have UNLIMITED DATA!" Even if it is completely unnecessary :) Plus after 6 months you can call Telus again and get them to lower your rate. They're pretty flexible, just don't over do it.

pbeaul 08-04-2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewcam888 (Post 1080751)
So in Canada you have to pay extra for caller id and voice mail? That is crazy

Yes, Canadian Telco's are ridicules. CID/VM are 5 - 7 bucks each of you can get them as a "bundle" and save a few bucks... but paying 10/month for both isn't uncommon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J0NNYBRAV0 (Post 1081063)
Ya, 500mb is probably more than enough for most. It just feels better telling people "I have UNLIMITED DATA!" Even if it is completely unnecessary :) Plus after 6 months you can call Telus again and get them to lower your rate. They're pretty flexible, just don't over do it.

Yea, I've been playing with my phone since last friday (or thursday... can't remember) and I've only racked up 60 megs of data in the past 5 - 6 days. I'm happy I got the unlimited data but realistically doubt I'll ever go past 500 MBs.

ls3mach 08-06-2009 11:36 PM

How do you guys manage? I mean, I know I have to pay more than $50, but you have a $600 phone and you use it that little? My company would flip if I switched us to those types of plans.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3384/usageu.th.png