PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Just picked up my Touch Pro 2 CDMA! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77723)

jessiethe3rd 08-03-2009 01:21 AM

Just picked up my Touch Pro 2 CDMA!

:) Be very jealous of your Canadian brothern - just picked up my Touch Diamond Pro 2 from Telus - it's HSDPA Capable and GSM quad band capable as well.

Looks like Telus had the device shipped with no Wifi :-/... (FAIL)

Wifi works just fine... I'm an idiot.

jessiethe3rd 08-03-2009 01:43 AM

Touch Pro 2 in HAND (woohoo... uh-oh...)

Some comments and some questions about this phone.

The TP2 is sex... pure sex... the thing is speedy and although it's a pain in my bum to go back to 6.1 TouchFlo 2 is fantastic... very nice integration.

Now for the "uh-oh" part and I'm sure all you gadget geeks will know how to help.

Telus has decided to disable the wifi functionality on the phone. Is there anyway to check to see if the hardware is actually in there to be activated? (EDITED - it's there... just can't have the PC hooked up while trying to turn it on!)

Second, and this refers to our best pals over at Best Buy. They were the first to pick up the units here in Canada and well... I got a problem. My wife likes shiny things... in a hand-off after my second bottle of Grolsch (ohh great Dutch Beer Gods... you have forsaken my fine motor skills) yes... the batton was dropped... the nice shiny Touch Pro 2 took a tumble to the ground. No screen damage but a nice little nick around the bezzle. While operable boy would I like to take this thing back and exchange it for a brand spankin' new one. I was thinking about rendering this puppy a dumb phone and try to return it for switch-a-roo. Anyone ever try to return a mobile phone back to best buy slightly damaged but inoperable? Yes, I know I am a stinky bum with bad motor skills and I suck :)

Thanks in advance for any advise on both the issues at hand.

BTW - if anyone has any questions about this phone I'd be more than happy to help in soothing your deepest desires.

psycho_maniac 08-03-2009 01:45 AM

Re: Just picked up my Touch Pro 2 CDMA!

you dont make any sense. at all
did you get the
touch pro2
diamond2?
do you have a slide out keyboard ?

horndoctor 08-03-2009 01:46 AM

Yeah Whaaaa.....????

gTen 08-03-2009 02:08 AM

Re: Touch Pro 2 in HAND (woohoo... uh-oh...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd (Post 1078107)
BTW - if anyone has any questions about this phone I'd be more than happy to help in soothing your deepest desires.

Does the TP2 grant 3 wishes when you rub it?

As for the WIFI, it should be in there..maybe they hurried the launch and temporarily disabled it?

Edit: Telus site says WIFI is there:

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/QC/h...79/index.shtml
________
VIDEO REVIEW

psycho_maniac 08-03-2009 02:14 AM

you also fail at where to post. this is in the wrong section.

mods just delete this because he started one in the touch pro 2 forum as well ...

psycho_maniac 08-03-2009 02:17 AM

its either a touch pro2 or a diamond2 which is it?

O'Neil Mitchell 08-03-2009 02:19 AM

Oh for comon, I thought we actually had an upgrade :angry7:

jessiethe3rd 08-03-2009 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1078149)
Does the TP2 grant 3 wishes when you rub it?

I just rubbed it... said, fix yourself and it just kind of sat there looking at me...

I think there's a WiFi radio/receiver in there - they just disabled it.

jessiethe3rd 08-03-2009 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho_maniac (Post 1078158)
its either a touch pro2 or a diamond2 which is it?

Its a TP2.

STUPID I AM... I unplugged the phone from the PC and low and behold the WiFi is there... false alarm.

gTen 08-03-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd (Post 1078161)
I just rubbed it... said, fix yourself and it just kind of sat there looking at me...

I think there's a WiFi radio/receiver in there - they just disabled it.

Darn it! look at my Edit on top..if you WIFI doesn't work.. thats a good reason to get Best Buy o exchange it as well ;)
________
SAUTEING

MightyMike 08-03-2009 02:23 AM

wifi works fine

gTen 08-03-2009 02:27 AM

Now that thats out of the way you should post a review on top in the sticky with some benchmarks >.>
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZER

psycho_maniac 08-03-2009 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd (Post 1078162)
Its a TP2.

STUPID I AM... I unplugged the phone from the PC and low and behold the WiFi is there... false alarm.

then why in your other thread did you call it a touch diamond pro 2? your other thread..you know the one where you posted in the wrong section...yeah that one

jessiethe3rd 08-03-2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho_maniac (Post 1078173)
then why in your other thread did you call it a touch diamond pro 2? your other thread..you know the one where you posted in the wrong section...yeah that one

Yes I called it a Touch Diamond Pro 2... It's a Touch Pro2 for clarification - no Touch Diamond 2's are available in NA as far as I am aware of... I don't believe there is a CDMA Touch Diamond?

" Be very jealous of your Canadian brothern - just picked up my Touch Diamond Pro 2 from Telus - it's HSDPA Capable and GSM quad band capable as well."

Hey Mighty... can't wait for the goods!

psycho_maniac 08-03-2009 04:02 AM

its touch pro2 or diamond2 and are you crazy to think there is no such thing as a htc diamond? look on the forums. there is a section for them.

NinjaMom 08-03-2009 06:09 AM

Duplicate threads merged.

blazin-asian 08-03-2009 10:53 AM

dang, nice! it kinda irks me that the TP2 basically has the same specs as the first TP so its not much of an "upgrade" except for the screen size and some little extra features.

obamaftw08 08-03-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd (Post 1078210)
Yes I called it a Touch Diamond Pro 2... It's a Touch Pro2 for clarification - no Touch Diamond 2's are available in NA as far as I am aware of... I don't believe there is a CDMA Touch Diamond?

" Be very jealous of your Canadian brothern - just picked up my Touch Diamond Pro 2 from Telus - it's HSDPA Capable and GSM quad band capable as well."

Hey Mighty... can't wait for the goods!

well can you edit your OP so there won't be anymore confusion? thx.

phaze 08-03-2009 02:44 PM

Please don't purposely brick the phone just to exchange it for a shiny new baton. You will make our insurance rates go up.

jax2k3 08-03-2009 05:54 PM

BestBuy is the ONLY place you can get the TELUS Touch Pro 2 at this time... $649+Tax with no contract. There is no Diamond 2 in Canada at this time. I am just waiting for FutureShop (sister of BestBuy) to have this phone.

destitute 08-03-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jax2k3 (Post 1079351)
BestBuy is the ONLY place you can get the TELUS Touch Pro 2 at this time... $649+Tax with no contract. There is no Diamond 2 in Canada at this time. I am just waiting for FutureShop (sister of BestBuy) to have this phone.

Not true, I bought mine on Friday at a local Telus dealer (in Calgary).

jax2k3 08-03-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destitute (Post 1079399)
Not true, I bought mine on Friday at a local Telus dealer (in Calgary).

Only certian providers have them in stock.. sadly would take about 1 week for me to get one... Burnaby ...

themuffinman 08-03-2009 06:46 PM

In defense of the original poster, way back when the diamond 1 and the pro 1 were introduced many people called the pro the diamond pro before it was called the touch pro so maybe thats where the op got diamond pro 2.

jax2k3 08-03-2009 07:05 PM

the differrence between Diamond and Touch Pro (1 and 2) is mainly the Keyboard and the Memory Slot...

Touch Pro (1 and 2) have sliding keyboard
Diamond (1 and 2) have no sliding keyboard and has build-in memory, because has build-in memory, there is no MicroSD Slot.

redd214 08-03-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jax2k3 (Post 1079494)
the differrence between Diamond and Touch Pro (1 and 2) is mainly the Keyboard and the Memory Slot...

Touch Pro (1 and 2) have sliding keyboard
Diamond (1 and 2) have no sliding keyboard and has build-in memory, because has build-in memory, there is no MicroSD Slot.

the diamond 2 and the verizon diamond 1 have memory card slots

unclutchable 08-04-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redd214 (Post 1079510)

That's strange. Verizon included a memory card slot after they crippled it severely? ](*,)

jax2k3 08-04-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redd214 (Post 1079510)

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...6#featureslink

it seems that verizon ver is different then everyones elses.... they don't have Build-In Memory... Verizon Did something right :).

jathomas0910 08-04-2009 04:05 PM

how is the battery life on CDMA...talk time, sprint touch pro was very bad

ZuneNinja! 08-04-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jathomas0910 (Post 1081552)

Verizon TP with the OEM extended battery has great life but adds sum bulk, but looks about the best extended battery setup I've seen on winmo phones. Usually they look odd and clunky.

jessiethe3rd 08-04-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jathomas0910 (Post 1081552)

First off - I did a return on my Touch Pro 2 at Best Buy - yes the scratch was a main reason and I actually installed an app which screwed up the screen shuffling... nothing a quick flash couldn't fix. Yes, I suck but I do have a shiny new phone minus the scratches... BestBuy with that return earned my ongoing repeat business... I shall not buy a phone anywhere else from Best Buy as a token of my appreciation to them and I will continue to spend a ton of toy money there (which they get on a regular basis anyway...)

Much like Nordstroms and Costco - organizations that let me return stuff without a hassle always get my repeat business...

Now on to battery life... wow... I cannot express how nice it is to have the phone unplugged for two solid days without worrying about battery life. I am a heavy user with push email always on and it stays nicely charged. The battery is much larger than the Touch Pro and they have optimized it better than the original Pro.

I'll try to do some speed tests for people in the near future (this was asked of me prior.)

ZuneNinja! 08-04-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd (Post 1081891)
First off - I did a return on my Touch Pro 2 at Best Buy - yes the scratch was a main reason and I actually installed an app which screwed up the screen shuffling... nothing a quick flash couldn't fix. Yes, I suck but I do have a shiny new phone minus the scratches... BestBuy with that return earned my ongoing repeat business... I shall not buy a phone anywhere else from Best Buy as a token of my appreciation to them and I will continue to spend a ton of toy money there (which they get on a regular basis anyway...)

Much like Nordstroms and Costco - organizations that let me return stuff without a hassle always get my repeat business...

Now on to battery life... wow... I cannot express how nice it is to have the phone unplugged for two solid days without worrying about battery life. I am a heavy user with push email always on and it stays nicely charged. The battery is much larger than the Touch Pro and they have optimized it better than the original Pro.

I'll try to do some speed tests for people in the near future (this was asked of me prior.)

Well done on the return. Best Buy is generally pretty good with returns as long as you put up a small fight. I should know, I used to work there and a lot of my friends still do.

cooltech59 08-04-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd (Post 1078162)
Its a TP2.

I don't see all the uproar about the TP2! At first it sounded like a great jump forward but after talking with several tech's with Sprint they said the only real difference between the TP and the TP2 is really the screen. They said the memory, processor, and major internals are the same from the TP, so where is this great difference? Definitely not in price and you can get TF2 off several sites. So until there is a REALmajor jump forward I will keep my TP. Again this is just my opinion.

Carla 08-04-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd (Post 1078107)
Second, and this refers to our best pals over at Best Buy. They were the first to pick up the units here in Canada and well... I got a problem. My wife likes shiny things... in a hand-off after my second bottle of Grolsch (ohh great Dutch Beer Gods... you have forsaken my fine motor skills) yes... the batton was dropped... the nice shiny Touch Pro 2 took a tumble to the ground. No screen damage but a nice little nick around the bezzle. While operable boy would I like to take this thing back and exchange it for a brand spankin' new one. I was thinking about rendering this puppy a dumb phone and try to return it for switch-a-roo. Anyone ever try to return a mobile phone back to best buy slightly damaged but inoperable? Yes, I know I am a stinky bum with bad motor skills and I suck :)

That seems kinda wrong to me. Don't drink and play with your new phone. The phone is going to get a nick on it sooner or later, this was your fault, why try and scam one over on them because you want it to look brand spankin new for a few more days?

O'Neil Mitchell 08-04-2009 09:26 PM

Ladies and Gentleman, I finally picked up my Pro2 today. I can say without a dought, I'm happier than a pig in ****. :headbang:

ZuneNinja! 08-04-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooltech59 (Post 1081977)
I don't see all the uproar about the TP2! At first it sounded like a great jump forward but after talking with several tech's with Sprint they said the only real difference between the TP and the TP2 is really the screen. They said the memory, processor, and major internals are the same from the TP, so where is this great difference? Definitely not in price and you can get TF2 off several sites. So until there is a REALmajor jump forward I will keep my TP. Again this is just my opinion.

Go to your local T-Mobile store and see if they will let you play with one. Seriously, a world of difference. Much more responsive. You just have to see it for your self if you don't believe it is a true upgrade.

rezistrat 08-06-2009 02:18 PM

There is a few differences on the Touch Pro2. They keyboard is dramatically different, bigger keys, less of them. This updated speakerphone technology. I am switching as soon as Sprint comes out with theirs. I also think that taking the D pad off is a step in the right direction.

LbC Ya562 11-03-2009 04:47 PM

LoL Yea it IS a true upgrade! I had the first TP....It got old really fast! I got the TP2 now LoL sometimes I'll pick it up just to mess with it in some kinda way LoL