PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question TP2 Video Drivers, or Lack Thereof?

Kinda rambly, you've been warned..

I first got into WM devices with a Sprint PPC-6700. I thought it was the neatest thing since the beginning of time. So neat to be on a cross-country bus trip (don't laugh, much easier since they can accept power wheelchairs fully assembled) and be able to pull up streaming radio, surf the web, doodle, and watch a crapload of TV shows. Heck, I even used some app (I forget which) to warn the greyhound driver of heavy traffic ahead on his route so he could detour.

I though the 6700 was the absolute best thing ever made, except for the antenna bulge. In my entire time of owning it, I never expected it to have good video performance, and never asked much of it in that department. I honestly don't even remember how well it did in that area.

Then I heard that the 6800 had been released, so I headed to a Sprint store to check it out. Smaller. GPS capable. Used modern memory cards. And had a dual core processor? Sold! About that time, I found out that these phones had a large hacking community, so I started exploring. One big thing I found was how disappointed people were with the complete lack of performance in the graphics department, even though the chipset had ATI graphics accelerator hardware on-board. As I recall, after much threatening and gnashing of teeth, some small amount of improvement came from drivers ripped from another phone, and incremental ROM performance improvements.

Several months ago, my Mogul took a nasty fall when I was out & about, and after bouncing/sliding a ways on the ground, it was quite damaged. Asurion replaced it with a Touch Pro. I dug into it with interest, hoping that the graphics performance had been improved. Nope. Still abysmal.

Now we are facing the imminent launch of the Pro 2. As far as I know, the phone's internal hardware is mostly unchanged, aside from the addition of a larger screen and keyboard, among other more minor changes. Now granted, the software it runs is mostly all new, and in fact will likely get a semi-major upgrade by next year to WM 6.5, and maybe even 7 if we are just too lucky for our own good.

Who here thinks the graphics performance will be just as bad as the Mogul and TP though, if not worse, since the screen resolution is increasing from 640x480 to 800x480?

If that's the case, and the graphics performance is still in the dumps - Why do people still buy these devices? Why not do as many people have done with MS and stick with an old 2001-era OS while they wait on something proper to be released? Why encourage HTC's shoddy practices (of not licensing the needed driver code) by rewarding them with your cash? I have a feeling that if HTC saw their revenue fall off of a cliff and they heard people clearly saying that the reason they were not buying was due to a lack of hardware performance, the driver code would be licensed and distributed pronto.

I only hope the forthcoming Tegra-based handsets don't suffer from these same issues...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP
Re: TP2 Video Drivers, or Lack Thereof?

well I am pretty sure video drivers will suck
but xda devs are already working on the video drivers issues
there are quite a few threads about it
Old 08-02-2009, 03:03 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
If that's the case, and the graphics performance is still in the dumps - Why do people still buy these devices? Why not do as many people have done with MS and stick with an old 2001-era OS while they wait on something proper to be released? Why encourage HTC's shoddy practices (of not licensing the needed driver code) by rewarding them with your cash? I have a feeling that if HTC saw their revenue fall off of a cliff and they heard people clearly saying that the reason they were not buying was due to a lack of hardware performance, the driver code would be licensed and distributed pronto.
From what I understand HTC has license to the drivers, but carriers need to pay extra to use the drivers as HTC is not the owner of the drivers. The HTC phones received their driver updates, the carrier ones on the other hand didn't as they didn't want to pay extra licensing fees.

But if they plan to use WM7 as in the roadmaps, and Microsoft saying WM7 will focus on graphics, there lies a huge possibility.
________
redheaded Cam

Last edited by gTen; 04-14-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:13 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

What kind of graphics do you all need that they don't do?
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

slopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
What kind of graphics do you all need that they don't do?
Curious about this too.... I'm not a person who wants his cell phone to double as a portable gaming device.

That's what a PSP, or DS, etc is for...
Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
Curious about this too.... I'm not a person who wants his cell phone to double as a portable gaming device.

That's what a PSP, or DS, etc is for...
It is more referring to the direct draw drivers then 3d, not that 3d would hurt..Just like a computer, the graphic card helps alot. It helps render the UI and interface and offloads off the CPU. Thus you can switch between programs faster, have the internet pages render faster and etc.

And if WM7 is going to be anything like Vista/Windows 7 the graphics would be a MUST.

Here is more information bu the site seems to not update anymore, regardless details are there:

http://www.htcclassaction.org/
________
The extreme q vaporizer

Last edited by gTen; 04-14-2011 at 02:08 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2