PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 01:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6800
Carrier: vsw

Vacs is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro 2 Reviews

Well just a few days ago I switched from Verizen to Sprint and ordered 2 Touch Diamonds. Then I read some of the reviews on the web.... so many problems reported for the Diamonds, poor me. The Diamonds will be here on Monday, maybe Sprint will just let me send them back and get the TP2's instead, without paying a restocking fee if I don't open the boxes. Sprint let me order the diamonds and get the discounted price based on a two year contract without getting any kind of data plan (I don't want a data plan, too expensive). I assume they will do the same for me with a couple of TP2's. Here is my question, I see here that at least 2 people put gps programs on their TP2's, one Garmin program and one was an IGO program. Didn't Sprint lock out the GPS so you can't get your own gps progam to work? That's what Verizen did to my 6800 causing me a lot of effort to get TomTom to work.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:06 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacs View Post
Well just a few days ago I switched from Verizen to Sprint and ordered 2 Touch Diamonds. Then I read some of the reviews on the web.... so many problems reported for the Diamonds, poor me. The Diamonds will be here on Monday, maybe Sprint will just let me send them back and get the TP2's instead, without paying a restocking fee if I don't open the boxes. Sprint let me order the diamonds and get the discounted price based on a two year contract without getting any kind of data plan (I don't want a data plan, too expensive). I assume they will do the same for me with a couple of TP2's. Here is my question, I see here that at least 2 people put gps programs on their TP2's, one Garmin program and one was an IGO program. Didn't Sprint lock out the GPS so you can't get your own gps progam to work? That's what Verizen did to my 6800 causing me a lot of effort to get TomTom to work.
that is history, thank the lord
currently, all touch pro 2's are free to use whatever gps program they want
Old 09-20-2009, 02:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Vacs is a n00b

Well that's great news razorloves. When I was on the phone with the Sprint rep. ordering the Touch Diamonds the woman specifically told me the gps would be locked out. She actually knew what I was talking about when I asked her. I guess no gps lockout is another benefit of the pro 2 over the diamond. I just need to find a version of "quickgps" for the pro 2. Now I can go to sleep.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:51 AM
VIP Member

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacs View Post
Well that's great news razorloves. When I was on the phone with the Sprint rep. ordering the Touch Diamonds the woman specifically told me the gps would be locked out. She actually knew what I was talking about when I asked her. I guess no gps lockout is another benefit of the pro 2 over the diamond. I just need to find a version of "quickgps" for the pro 2. Now I can go to sleep.
you're welcome man.

why do you need to find quickgps? it comes on the sprint tp2.

also, i've never heard of the gps being locked on the sprint diamond. i think you got some bad info there. anyone confirm this? i'm not 100% sure.

Last edited by razorloves; 09-20-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Vacs is a n00b

That's what their rep told me on the phone. I said to the rep "Does Sprint lock out the gps on this phone (Touch Diamond) so other gps programs can't access it like Verizon does?" She said "Yes, you can't use your own program on there". I said "That is dissappointing, I'm paying for this phone and your disabling things on it, if you were to buy a car and then your driving down the road and find out the dealer put a coin slot on the radio so you had to pay him to use it that wouldn't be right". She said "I know".

She quoted me and I paid $200, after $100 rebate, for the phone with 2 yr contract. Then I go on the web and some store has it for $150 with 2 years!! She also had quoted me $350 for the TP2 with 2 years. Well I just found out that VSW has the same deal for $200! What a price difference, 350 from Sprint vs.200 from VSW.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:15 AM
VIP Member

i just looked all around in the diamond section and didn't see anything about the gps being locked. If it is, it's easy to unlock it cause i saw a bunch of new people talkin about usin tomtom and google maps and other similar programs
Old 09-20-2009, 06:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

BROOKNAM is becoming a great contributor

@ vacs: Don't even open those diamonds send them back asap & get the pro 2. its not a brick like the pro1 & diamond and the size of the screen is the truth. i dont know if u still can but u should look into 1 of the former "sero" (everything plus plans), u get data and pretty much everything else starting @ i believe $59.99. either way dont get the diamond its fat and small, go with the pro 2.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:50 PM
bbehen

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I got my TP2 the day after Sprint offered it through a phone order. A day and a half after that the phone started spontaneously rebooting and wouldn't get past the sprint splash screen (No I had not done any customizations) I took it to a corporate store only to find out they don't get them until the 23rd of Sept. I called the company and they sent me another. 3 days later samething. The phone will not get past the sprint splash screen. I am about to get my 3rd. As much as I loved the phone when it worked. If the 3rd one does the same thing. I'll have to get a different phone. P.S. Since they don't have them in stores sprint refused to overnight me a phone so I could have it by monday. I went to a corporate store first on Saturday the 19th. Then I called them. I have to wait until monday until they process the order. I am VERY UNDER-IMPRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:26 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisk View Post
My only 2 complaints so far with the Sprint TP2 compared to the Sprint TP1 that I use to have is:
a) I miss having an OK button and d-pad like controls (or at least left/right) - I suspect that WM6.5 will make this less of an issue
Consider the Rhodium Keyboard Controller. You can then remap ANY key you like. For instance, you could remap your double-click or long-press volume keys to the UP/DOWN actions or even the LEFT/RIGHT actions. You can assign an OK action to a double-click or long-press BACK button. Play with it...I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

kevm14 is keeping up the good workkevm14 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddie View Post
Of these four phones, the Pro2 also ranked the lowest in PC World review scores. While the other three phones had overall scores between 87-89, the Pro2 fell short of that mark at 84. The major complaint with the Pro2 was system sluggishness when doing basic functions like opening apps or scrolling through contacts, but PC World reviewer Ginny Mies did give the device thumbs up for being "eye-catching, functional, and well constructed."
Given all the talk about how much faster the TP2 feels than the TP I think this speaks to the sad state of WM devices in general. If the TP2 is a "huge improvement" over the TP, but yet still noticeably lacking to the modern competition, what can we say about WM?
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2