PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza
Who wants a BARE WM6.1 ROM? Maybe WM6.5

By bare, I mean the ROM comes in at about 67 MB, it's so bare that absolutely nothing is loaded but the bare WM6.1 OS, Menu enhancement, and that's it. HTC Services such as PushInternet, as well as other services related to Manila/TF3D are also installed just incase you want to install Manila later on.

Stats:
Free Memory: ~360 MB
Used RAM: ~20/25%

Every program is in CAB form (yes, even Manila 2.1/SenseUI) and could easily be downloaded from either the thread itself or placeholder site.

Think of it as a sort of kitchen but already built so that people who are unfamiliar with kitchens won't have to bother building a ROM, as it'll already be built.

PROS:
-Stay up to date on programs because every program, including Manila and PhoneCanvas will be fully uninstallable, so that you may try different flavors of anything without worrying how to overwrite ROM files.
-Bare OS, this means the ROM won't be updated every other day with new features. ONLY major bugs and new registry tweaks will make the ROM get updated. However, registry tweaks will be installable without the need for a reflash.
-Fast install, the bare ROM will take 3 minutes or less to install and be at the today screen, which is absolutely blank.
-No more trying to figure out how to build ROMs.
-Major bugs with any program can easily be fixed by either uninstalling it and installing a newer version, or just apply the fix yourself, instead of having to worry about saving and restoring your data and reflashing your phone.

CONS:
-Since nothing is included, you will have to install programs separately and this could be a BIT time consuming (5-10 minutes) depending on what you want.
-Creating backups will generally be much bigger because you're essentially backing up all the installed programs.
-Any compression tweaks or tweaks in general other chefs do to programs probably won't be included in the CAB installs (This does not include tweaks tot he OS, those will be included). Still trying to figure out if I want to go that route. It will take a lot longer for me to make CABs of programs if I am including tweaks. However, I may add tweaks as reg files (or separate CAB for ease of install) in the ROM thread.

So what do you guys think?

Posibility to include WM6.5: YES (Updates may come out a bit more frequently considering WM6.5 is still being updated. But not as often. They will most likely be milestone updates. For example, every new build won't get an update.)

Posibility to include WM6.5.x: No

Last edited by freeza; 12-16-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX
Re: Who wants a BARE WM6.1 ROM?

Why 6.1? I like the idea of bare bones, but why stick with the old OS when 6.5 is out and works just as well?

Jumped ship for Android now that WM is officially useless.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Threadstarter

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX View Post
Why 6.1? I like the idea of bare bones, but why stick with the old OS when 6.5 is out and works just as well?
6.5 gets new builds like every other week and as far as I know, 6.1 has stopped at build 21055.

6.1 is blazing fast, stable, and awesome
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

shadywayproductions is a n00b
Re: Who wants a BARE WM6.1 ROM? Maybe WM6.5

i know its not in the right forum but would it happen to work on a mogul? i posted in that sections last week for a bare bones rom but no one got back to me at all
Old 12-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadywayproductions View Post
i know its not in the right forum but would it happen to work on a mogul? i posted in that sections last week for a bare bones rom but no one got back to me at all
Unfortunately, no.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
6.5 gets new builds like every other week and as far as I know, 6.1 has stopped at build 21055.

6.1 is blazing fast, stable, and awesome
I know 6.5.3 gets builds weekly, but last I checked 6.5 development had slowed. I can certainly understand the need for a fast and stable ROM, but I think 6.5 fits the bill for that with some additional features. Although my opinion is probably skewed since I'm one of the ones that find 6.5.3 stable enough for everyday use and end up reflashing my phone every week to keep up with the latest builds.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX View Post
I know 6.5.3 gets builds weekly, but last I checked 6.5 development had slowed. I can certainly understand the need for a fast and stable ROM, but I think 6.5 fits the bill for that with some additional features. Although my opinion is probably skewed since I'm one of the ones that find 6.5.3 stable enough for everyday use and end up reflashing my phone every week to keep up with the latest builds.
lol....I have never tried 6.5, and am the kind of person that absolutely hates flashing my phone every time a new build comes out. It's like I am flashing my phone more than I am using it, which makes it pointless for me to even have a phone. One of the few reasons i'm sticking with 6.1. But I don't know, maybe I should give 6.5 a try.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Turnkeys is becoming a great contributor

I'd be interested in this also, both versions. Reflashing is a long process for me, just reinstalling apps.. where'd I save that SN again? lol
Old 12-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

Nagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I have a bare bones 6.5.5 ROM if you want to try that out.

Plain 6.5 development has almost stopped but there are still some updates. 6.5.x is the one that is being updated almost daily.

The stable release versions of 6.5 are definitely better than 6.1 in all aspects IMO.

Good luck though.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: The Now Network

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I'm interested for sure. I'd like either in bare bones form.

"I am Mulhiny and I am a flasher"..wmdunn
"I am Mulhiny and I'm a phone junkie"..Riley

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2