PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

meltmanbob is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TP2 on it's last breath, need quick advice on new phone

austin - Never been a fan of Android. A physical slide out keyboard is also a big deal for me and so has tethering without needing to do a bunch of stuff to my phone. I've also stuck with WinMo because I have been and will be getting into electronic circuits and Android appears to need more specialized stuff to use the phone as a controller for projects plus my little programming experience is based in Windows so an Android phone would require even more stuff for me to learn. Correct me if I'm wrong, some are just assumptions I've had.

To make the distinction, my brother has an Evo 4G which is more responsive than my TP2 but there isn't much he does with his phone that I couldn't do with the TP2. The main difference was that when our crappy ATT land line internet died, guess who's phone was used to surf the internet on our computers? Not his. I've just always seen mine as more functional even if his impresses people with the "wow" factor more. Again, I'm open to suggestions and would appreciate explanations but part of why I haven't switched is because I don't care to research and no one has been able to substantially prove to me why Android is better.

As for why I'm considering a Sprint TP2, options. I don't have money to throw around right now and I like the idea of having a phone that I can use on multiple carriers and multiple technologies. I'm not happy with Sprint but I know what to expect. With Tmobile I don't and I will not waste money on a phone that will only work with them only to find out I'm not happy with their service anymore than I was with Sprint.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

tmobile uses sim cards so you don't have to be stuck with it, you can take phone and switch to another company (well ATT most likely on sim card but there are other ones too)

The new moto photon Q has a keyboard. It does look tempting but my $30 sero tempts me even more lol. I'm really considering Tmobile's $30/month plan but I'm with family on sprint and since I'm not paying the bills, I'm stuck. I did buy a tmobile sim to stick in my tp2 though , rare occasions that i need it but it's prepaid with $5 on sim for quick emergency calls.

There are no root tether apps on android so it will be easy to do same. WMWifiRouter is free now and I've not come across one as versatile on android, I said one because I can use multiple apps to get same.

If only I knew I could switch back to the $30/month sero for sure, I'd upgrade to sero premium, get subsidized phone then downgrade back to tp2. Or if someone knew this for sure is possible, I'd sell them a subsidized phone if they paid the month/or two that account was on sero prem maybe *hint hint*lol. Got 3 sero lines up for upgrade just not upgrading since can't find phones that are compatible that does better than tp2
Old 09-08-2012, 06:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

JimP is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It's been awhile since your last post.

So what's happened?

Would a Verizon TP2 work on Sprint? CDMA network?
Old 09-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

You can take Sprint to Verizon, but not the other way. Also on Sprint the TP2 is stil considered a legacy device and not subject to the $10 'surcharge' for the 'special' data signal. Cant tell you how many times i argued that internet connection is internet connection and they keep trying to sell me the idea that "4G is special and not compatible with your phone", no its the frequency thats not compatible but doesnt cost more to transmit.

Oh and on the Stock Sprint ROM (the shipped one, not the 6.5 MR) its very snappy and responsive.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

JimP is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I've never consider my Verizon TP2 very snappy.

I'm considering the iphone 5. I just want it to work and be fast about it.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust
Pocket PC: Tin Can ^^)

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)

I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to. Dig out your Apache or Titan and do a couple of head-to-head tests with the TP2. haha

Old 09-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Compared to the TP1 i just stopped using for nearly 2 years straight.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin420 View Post
also, what is up with the quick reply? it deleted my message, then told me my reply was too short. only seems to be this thread.
edit: i retyped the whole post, then posted, and it added my first post, and deleted the contents of the second one.
Are you using firefox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltmanbob View Post
austin - Never been a fan of Android. A physical slide out keyboard is also a big deal for me and so has tethering without needing to do a bunch of stuff to my phone.
There are slide out keyboard options, FoxFi works on most phones out of box for tethering.

Quote:
I've also stuck with WinMo because I have been and will be getting into electronic circuits and Android appears to need more specialized stuff to use the phone as a controller for projects plus my little programming experience is based in Windows so an Android phone would require even more stuff for me to learn. Correct me if I'm wrong, some are just assumptions I've had.
If your serious about going into electronic circuits then running linux is much much more beneficial. Why? because how many applications are you going to get access to windows embedded? where as linux you can virtually load up on anything. Though for that I would rather suggest a Raspberry Pi. Right now it costs 35$+6$ shipping. And if you don't need ethernet a model A will be out by end of the year which will be 25$. There are also plenty of cheap Adurino boards options.

Quote:
To make the distinction, my brother has an Evo 4G which is more responsive than my TP2 but there isn't much he does with his phone that I couldn't do with the TP2. The main difference was that when our crappy ATT land line internet died, guess who's phone was used to surf the internet on our computers? Not his.
2 things:

1) HTC phones tend to be a pain to hack, unless you get a new one and are willing to sign their thing to unlock your bootloader.

2) Evo 4g is outdated at this point

Quote:
As for why I'm considering a Sprint TP2, options. I don't have money to throw around right now and I like the idea of having a phone that I can use on multiple carriers and multiple technologies. I'm not happy with Sprint but I know what to expect. With Tmobile I don't and I will not waste money on a phone that will only work with them only to find out I'm not happy with their service anymore than I was with Sprint.
If you want to go T-Mobile then I suggest signing a regular contract, get a normal t-mobile phone and then returning in 14 days. This way you can play around with t-mobile and then do what you want. The sprint tp2 is not capable of all the bands t-mobile is capable of, so chances are your experience will not be top notch.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-18-2012, 02:01 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

MCnDaHouse is a n00b

** I tried to post this in the BST section but it won't let me even though I have 20+ posts **

I have for sale a HTC Touch Pro 2 Sprint phone. It includes the phone, stylus, wall charger/data cable, phone charger, hard plastic case and the original box/instructions.

I purchased this phone from another PPC Geeks member in October 2010. It has the Energy ROM that he installed and works great. Clean ESN. It is in great shape no major scratches or anything. I have kept it in a case and a screen protector on it. It's from a non-smoking home as well. I am not a heavy phone user so not much wear and tear. As you can see in the attached photos the keyboard is in great shape and the phone is in great shape. The screen protector looks a little scratchy when the phone is off in the picture but in the other pics I took it off so you could see the screen is good.

You can use this with a regular Sprint plan. You do NOT need the $69 everything plan. This is one of the few touch screen phones that doesn't require the everything plan.

I finally gave in an upgraded to an Android phone. I hated to lose my retention plan but was ready for a change.

If you're interested make me an offer. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

MC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TP2 Pics 019.jpg (176.1 KB, 4 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg TP2 Pics 021.jpg (235.4 KB, 3 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg TP2 Pics 022.jpg (174.8 KB, 3 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg TP2 Pics 023.jpg (214.8 KB, 3 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg TP2 Pics 024.jpg (291.4 KB, 3 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg TP2 Pics 025.jpg (318.4 KB, 4 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg TP2 Pics 027b.jpg (172.3 KB, 3 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by MCnDaHouse; 09-18-2012 at 02:03 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2