PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Interested in teathering but how do you turn off all laptop updates (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149803)

JimP 04-18-2012 08:26 AM

Interested in teathering but how do you turn off all laptop updates

I just discovered that I can teather my laptop to my TP2 for $20 a month 2 gig data allowance.

Problem is that I don't want to be burning through the data allowance with my laptop going out and doing things in the background. i.e. java, flash, etc. updates. Not concerned about windows updates as that's pretty straight forward to turn off.

Also noticed how with my current Verizon TP2, I only get the 2gig a month data allowance even though I have unlimited data if I was only using accessing the web via phone. When I was at the Verizon store last week checking out the Motorola razr maxx, I could do the hotspot with that phone with no limit to the data usage for the same $20. I can even turn it off and on during the month if I only needed it for a few days and they would prorate the bill based on the $20 per month with no adjustments due to data usage. I see an inconsistancy here and was wondering if maybe the lady at the Verizon store got this wrong or if its just how Verizon varied the plans to get me to buy a new phone. Any comments?

Thanks in advance.

td4guy 04-20-2012 07:32 AM

Re: Interested in teathering but how do you turn off all laptop updates

It's just as straightforward to turn off automatic updates in all of your PC's other applications as well.

Can you even see the 2GB of tethering data being used when you check your account on Verizon's website? Personally, I'm used to Sprint, using a custom ROM with Internet Sharing built in. With NAI disabled, they can't tell how I'm using the data - on-phone or tethering.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/data:image...qa9EY0qVGfh//Z

eric12341 04-26-2012 07:57 PM

Well upgrading would probably strip you of unlimited data. You don't really need to get a separate plan for tethering,you can just hack the tp2 to make it seem like its coming from the phone.

Tinkerbell 04-26-2012 09:05 PM

Correct. You can install one of our many Rom's available here and tether for no additional charge. You can connect via USB or set up your own WiFi Hotspot. It is really cool. I have been doing this on Verizon since the Apache days. Have fun!

gTen 04-28-2012 01:37 AM

Flash and java does not install itself automatically unless you selected to install flash automatically. Depending on your browser you can use an app to block all flash and java unless you click to activate it.

If you have an unlimited plan there is no cap limit if you tether. And no you won't lose your unlimited from upgrading(at least that is what I am told).

Don't bother paying for verizon's hotspot, you can tether for free.

eric12341 05-02-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell (Post 2176649)
Correct. You can install one of our many Rom's available here and tether for no additional charge. You can connect via USB or set up your own WiFi Hotspot. It is really cool. I have been doing this on Verizon since the Apache days. Have fun!

Yea remember that sting operation VZ and Telus did to the tetherers back in 2009?

Tinkerbell 05-03-2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2177338)
Yea remember that sting operation VZ and Telus did to the tetherers back in 2009?

True, but I keep usage under 10 GB per line per month and have never been contacted about it once. I still have the Unlimited plan, but I don't push it.