PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 05:45 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Verizon)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

LinkRS is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question HTC Touch Pro 2 Battery Life (Verizon)

Hi Everyone,

I have spent the past 2 weeks searching for information on battery life isssues with the Verizon HTC Touch Pro 2, and my searches have led me to this site (it has massive potential ). After going through several pages of search results, I was not able to find any information on my questions, so I decided to make a new thread. I apologize in advance if it is duplicated

I got my TP2 in February, and immediatly installed the official Verizon WM 6.5 ROM, so I have no expereince with my devise using WM 6.1. The first thing I noticed after my ROM upgrade, that the battery life is atrocious. I would get approx 5 hours of light use, or 8 hours of standby before the battery was less than 10% charge. As this is not my first WM device, I am very diligent about closeing apps when I am not using them, so the only thing I have running is the default HTC apps (which do not show up in Task Manager), Data is off and Wi-Fi is off. During these rapid drain periods, the back of the phone is warm to the touch, so I know the phone is doing something. After putting up with this for a week (I ended up turning the phone off most days leading up to the first week, which actually makes the problem worse), I called up Verizon. They told me to take my phone to a Verizon store, where they could "test my battery." So, I took it to a store, and they did not have a battery tester, so they ordered me a new battery. Ironically the next day (at this point, my phone had been left on (not shut off), and discharged and recharged a few times) the phone when all night, and stayed at 100% (on standby). After 3 days of light use, the battery was down to 80% when I got the new battery. So, I swapped the battery. The problem returned

After a few days of charge and discharge, the new battery started to work as well. So, I swapped the old battery back in to test, and the same problem, no battery life. Each time, if I let the battery drain and then recharge a couple times, the battery life will eventually improve. However, this conditioning period seems to be necessary every time the phone is shut off (or the battery is removed). Once the battery life is normal, leaving it on standby, I can go almost 4 days before I have to charge it.

Is this normal behavour for WM 6.5 ROM, does anyone have any ideas or information on this? It is very frustrating, but I do know that it is not the battery, as it does it with both the stock HTC battery, and the replacement from Verizon (I have sent one back now, so I only have 1).

Any ideas? Thanks!

Rich S.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

HTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuff
Re: HTC Touch Pro 2 Battery Life (Verizon)

Ok, I'm happy you seemed to have worked out a conditioning exercise for you battery life. I use my phone heavily every day, so I just pop it in the charger every night to alleviate any possible battery issues. I know my battery life would not make it 4 days, I've tested mine and get about 2 days(under my normal usage). Battery life has been discussed heavily in this forum over time, so there no shortage of views/opinions, that's for sure!

The below threads might be interesting reading to further dive into:

Battery Recalibration- Mobile Battery Discharger=Better battery life

How's your battery life so far? Let's discuss ways to prolong battery life...

Verizon 2100 mAh Extended Battery with new door
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

yup on my vzw tp2 under heavy heavy use like 200-300 sent and 200-300 received texts, emails flowing in from 3 accounts, normal tinkering, calls accounting around 30 minutes, some game play, pictures from time to time, internet browsing for about 15-20 minutes, and still have enough to make it home and wait to throw it on the charger... i would let the battery fully die and than completely charge it with the phone completely off and than go from there and see if that solves your issue... if it is still heating up and draining that fast i would bring it in and see if they cand replace it or exchange it for you since i havent heard of that problem or that bad at least from any other user on *****izon.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

does 6.5 include the push internet for opera? that could be a big part of it.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Hi HTC_P,

Thanks for the response! (I clicked Thanks). The battery life that I talking about is abnormal, and indicitave of some issue. What I don't know if it is a problem with Windows Mobile 6.5 ROM, a problem with the TP2, a problem with the Verizon TP2, or a problem with my TP2. I don't expect the phone to last days at a time, but there is no reason why it shouldn't last a standard workday on standby. Plus, simply turning the phone off, or just taking the battery out and putting it back in, shouldn't dramatically kill the battery life. After I get a few more responses here, I will probably end up calling Verizon again. I just wanted to ee if anyone else was having these issues, as that would imply a problem with the either the model or ROM, vices a probelm with my individual TP2 (which would mean it needs to be replaced).
Old 03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Hi Dash,

Your example of use, I would expect it to only last about a day. But my TP2 only lasts around 8 hours (100% down to 10%) on standby, not getting pushed e-mail (or polling for e-mail, I have those options turned off), nor using push Internet. This behaviour lasts until I go through a few discharge/recharge cycles (it has been as many as 3, but this last time it only took 2), and then the battery lasts alot longer on standby. Once the battery seems to be conditioned, it works fine until the phone is turned off (hold down the End Call key). At that point, the cycle must be repeated to get the battery working decently again. This happend with both the stock HTC battery, and a replacement sent by Verizon. Thanks, your post is indicating that I might have a problem with my phone itself. However, it could still be an issue with the Verizon WM 6.5 ROM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:40 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Hi nrfitchet4,

6.5 does have push Internet, but it is turned off (not even setup actually), and the data connection is not on. It is very frustrating. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

HTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkRS View Post
Hi HTC_P,

Thanks for the response! (I clicked Thanks). The battery life that I talking about is abnormal, and indicitave of some issue. What I don't know if it is a problem with Windows Mobile 6.5 ROM, a problem with the TP2, a problem with the Verizon TP2, or a problem with my TP2. I don't expect the phone to last days at a time, but there is no reason why it shouldn't last a standard workday on standby. Plus, simply turning the phone off, or just taking the battery out and putting it back in, shouldn't dramatically kill the battery life. After I get a few more responses here, I will probably end up calling Verizon again. I just wanted to ee if anyone else was having these issues, as that would imply a problem with the either the model or ROM, vices a probelm with my individual TP2 (which would mean it needs to be replaced).
No problem at all.....Here's an interesting story that I just went through with one of my coworkers a couple of weeks ago. My coworker ordered a TP2(Sprint) because he kept drooling over my TP2, so he gets the phone and turns to me and says "Why does the battery life suck?". I tweaked his phone the same way I do every TP2 I get for users at my work, and everybody else was getting good battery life...so I was WTF? I grabbed his TP2 worked with it for a full day and watched the battery drain down way too fast based on what I was doing and basically allowing it to sit in stand-by for extended periods. After a day, I was totally perplexed as nothing was making sense, as I could not uncover anything to explain the battery drain. I suggested it might be worthwhile to hard reset and possibly jump to a custom ROM. He ended up hard resetting the next morning back to the base Sprint 6.1 OEM ROM and his battery life became exceptionally better than the previous day. I kept checking his phone throughout the day and the battery performance remained very good. It's been good every since and I honestly would not have believed this had I not experienced it first hand, so perhaps a hard reset might be a worthy pursuit....or at least, something to contemplate for your situation.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:50 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkRS View Post
Hi Dash,

Your example of use, I would expect it to only last about a day. But my TP2 only lasts around 8 hours (100% down to 10%) on standby, not getting pushed e-mail (or polling for e-mail, I have those options turned off), nor using push Internet. This behaviour lasts until I go through a few discharge/recharge cycles (it has been as many as 3, but this last time it only took 2), and then the battery lasts alot longer on standby. Once the battery seems to be conditioned, it works fine until the phone is turned off (hold down the End Call key). At that point, the cycle must be repeated to get the battery working decently again. This happend with both the stock HTC battery, and a replacement sent by Verizon. Thanks, your post is indicating that I might have a problem with my phone itself. However, it could still be an issue with the Verizon WM 6.5 ROM.
def sounds like it is a problem with the phone itself, hows your signal strength in your area also? low signal for long periods of time can cause the phone to heat up some and drain battery since always looking for new towers if under 3 bars. i would bring it in and tell them whats going on and in your notes they should have something on the battery that they gave you and see if they can replace. the stock rom i personally ran for a couple day on both 6.1 (almost 2 months until hardspl came out)and 6.5 when that was released for a couple days and experienced great battery life for stock on both.... keep us informed on what goes on if you decide to go in and get that fixed.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Tbolt - Bamf Remix 1.6 Oc'ed 1.3,DX - Apex 1.4
Carrier: Verizon

Padron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

ive had a experience just like this Last Monda, my problem was a little diferent in some ways. I have a stock 6.5 rom, and i was wanting some sort of program for battery usage. Cause I always have extended batteries i use Seidio 3500 mah batteries i have 2, when 1 goes dead i swap it out with the other i use a solo battery charger to charge the spare 1.
i ussually get about a days worth of use out of 1 of these 3500 mah batts.
I searched around and found this thread http://rolandsdottir.blogspot.com/2009/10/windows-mobile-battery-life-tips.html
about half way down it suggests a couple battery programs to use if you have battery problems i did the global switch to cdma only and installed the Dot freds task manager and Dr sig stat battery watcher. both programs seemed awesome but i noticed within a few hours that my battery that was at 80% was down to 10%. i did a hard reset and then it was all back to normal again, not sure if these programs or thread will help you guys out or not.

is there anything i should do with the tp2 to have it recognize the different size batteries, everyonce in a while i will have to use a wall charger and when it is at 100% it will still take about 2 hours for the indicator light to turn green for the full charge.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2