PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   How does MMS work after switching the SIM card and carrier? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149307)

New Daddy 02-25-2012 09:34 PM

How does MMS work after switching the SIM card and carrier?

I have a Touch Pro 2 from Verizon Wireless and took it with me on a recent overseas trip. After a SIM card from a local carrier was inserted, voice, data and SMS started to work fine, but MMS didn't. I got the message that I had an incoming MMS, but there was no way that I could download it. I contacted the customer service with the local carrier and was told that they have the standard (OMA)-type MMS service, so if my TP2 can't handle their MMS service, then my phone must have been specially set up for Verizon Wireless.

Does anyone know if Verizon Wireless uses non-standard, proprietary MMS service? If so, is there any way to change the configuration of my TP2 so that it can transmit OMA-type MMS with another carrier?

eric12341 02-26-2012 06:27 PM

Re: How does MMS work after switching the SIM card and carrier?

If u set the mode of operation to GSM-only in the phone options menu it should ignore the VZ settings.

New Daddy 02-26-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2170634)
If u set the mode of operation to GSM-only in the phone options menu it should ignore the VZ settings.

But the problem is the foreign country that I'm using my TP2 is a WCDMA country, not GSM.

demonlordoftheround 02-26-2012 07:57 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SPH-D710 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Verizon likely uses their servers to send mms, but when you are using the sim card, those settings are not in use.

New Daddy 02-26-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround (Post 2170644)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SPH-D710 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Verizon likely uses their servers to send mms, but when you are using the sim card, those settings are not in use.

There is no doubt about it. What I'm trying to achieve is to send and receive MMS through the third-party foreign carrier, not Verizon Wireless.

My question is, how do you override (or disable) the Verizon Wireless MMS settings so that I can use the third-party foreign carrier's MMS settings instead. I had to change settings for voice and data, so I'm assuming I'd have to change settings for MMS as well. I just can't find where.

horndoctor 02-28-2012 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Daddy (Post 2170563)

I have a Touch Pro 2 from Verizon Wireless and took it with me on a recent overseas trip. After a SIM card from a local carrier was inserted, voice, data and SMS started to work fine, but MMS didn't. I got the message that I had an incoming MMS, but there was no way that I could download it. I contacted the customer service with the local carrier and was told that they have the standard (OMA)-type MMS service, so if my TP2 can't handle their MMS service, then my phone must have been specially set up for Verizon Wireless.

Does anyone know if Verizon Wireless uses non-standard, proprietary MMS service? If so, is there any way to change the configuration of my TP2 so that it can transmit OMA-type MMS with another carrier?

In my opinion, the whole OMA type service excuse that this carrier gave you was told to you to relieve them from the real explanation as to why you didn't get your MMS message and was said to tell you technical jargon to get rid of you. As far as I know all carriers use this standard mms service. I doubt there are any MMS settings that need to or can be changed that would change anything. You see, if you are getting SMS then that indicates to me that things are set correctly for you to receive SMS/MMS. The reason you could not download this mms message could be attributed to a variety of reasons. Maybe the message wasn't sent properly? Maybe the message got corrupted somehow? Maybe the version of Arcsoft you have on your device couldn't read/display the message/picture.

Like demon said, when you insert a SIM card your device is using those settings that are altered by the SIM and the Verizon settings are not used. So the Verizon settings are already overridden by the SIM card settings. So you are asking how do you override the Verizon settings when they have already been overridden.

What carrier was this? I suppose you could manually input any settings but without knowing the carrier I don't know how anyone can help you.