PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Getting a new TP2 - what bad things to look for in a referb (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148776)

wizardknight 01-21-2012 03:55 AM

Getting a new TP2 - what bad things to look for in a referb

My usb port stopped transmitting data, but it was still charging the phone. I went into a sprint store to have the local tech verify my conclusions suspecting a bad usb port, and when they could not figure out the issue they offered to exchange the phone for a referb for $35+Tax. I decided that it was a fair price and accepted.

Now I know that there have been issues with the usb ports, and oil marks on the screen. Is there anything else I should look for while I am in the 30 day warranty period?

I don't mind breaking out my voodoo skirt, and chicken bones. I want to make sure there are no hidden demons in the referb if possible.

EyeB 01-21-2012 12:17 PM

Re: Getting a new TP2 - what bad things to look for in a referb

what do you mean it stopped sending data? it should work if it can charge :S
you sure it isn't your computers fault, like an active sync issue?

my phone seems to break active sync once in a while but works if i hard reset phone, not sure what happens but I toggle things on/off in registry so I'm not worried phone is broken, i think i just break it myself on accident :D Anyways if I need to access phone I connect to it via wifi anyways

my phone is refurb too, and i have no problems with it, not even sure why it was refurbed. everything on it works, well the keyboard is a bit of a problem on some letters, gets hard to press but since it's a real keyboard I can feel when it goes down so if it doesn't go down I press a bit harder

elesbb 01-21-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeb (Post 2165259)

my phone seems to break active sync once in a while but works if i hard reset phone, not sure what happens but I toggle things on/off in registry so I'm not worried phone is broken, i think i just break it myself on accident :D Anyways if I need to access phone I connect to it via wifi anyways

my phone is refurb too, and i have no problems with it, not even sure why it was refurbed. everything on it works, well the keyboard is a bit of a problem on some letters, gets hard to press but since it's a real keyboard I can feel when it goes down so if it doesn't go down I press a bit harder

the USB can stop transmitting data while being able to charge , it happend to me . the USB port on the device is shot . I bet when he plugs his device into his computer he gets a "This device can perform faster" error just as i did .

As far as refurbs go this is what i went over when i got mine before sending my old one back:

Main hardware keys (Call, endcall, windows key and back key, volume keys power keys) Check for FULL functionality and ensure the "Click" feel is felt . it should have some resistance when pressing the button .

If all was good there , i checkes hardware keyboard , simply opened a text and pressed each individual key

Then i checked USB port , i plugged it into my comp with the volume all the way up and plugged the USB cable into my device then jiggled the plug at the phones end and listened for the "boodump" sound from my comp when a USB device was removed . If i heard that i immediatly complained for another .

Hope that helps !

eric12341 01-21-2012 03:49 PM

well you might find that you could go through up to 20 different ones before finding one that works up to expectations.

wizardknight 01-21-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeb (Post 2165259)

Yes I mean it stopped transmitting data over usb, and would still charge. It would not show up in the device manager, or active sync. I tried two computers, and three cables. The sprint techs could not get it to transmit any data either. So I guess that would be at least three computers and four cables.

Either way I have a new one coming now. So that point is moot.

I was just checking to see if there were any major known issues with the referbs besides the screen oil mark, usb, and now keyboard.

wizardknight 01-21-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2165286)
well you might find that you could go through up to 20 different ones before finding one that works up to expectations.

Glad to know that. Care to share what I should be looking for?

wizardknight 01-21-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2165283)
the USB can stop transmitting data while being able to charge , it happend to me . the USB port on the device is shot . I bet when he plugs his device into his computer he gets a "This device can perform faster" error just as i did .

As far as refurbs go this is what i went over when i got mine before sending my old one back:

Main hardware keys (Call, endcall, windows key and back key, volume keys power keys) Check for FULL functionality and ensure the "Click" feel is felt . it should have some resistance when pressing the button .

If all was good there , i checkes hardware keyboard , simply opened a text and pressed each individual key

Then i checked USB port , i plugged it into my comp with the volume all the way up and plugged the USB cable into my device then jiggled the plug at the phones end and listened for the "boodump" sound from my comp when a USB device was removed . If i heard that i immediatly complained for another .

Hope that helps !

Thanks for the ideas.

steveo70 01-22-2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizardknight (Post 2165291)
Glad to know that. Care to share what I should be looking for?

@eric12341 could be referring to @DaveTN and his soap opera in trying to get a acceptable refurb TP2. Dave deserved better.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-...days-over.html

DaveTN 01-22-2012 12:41 PM

@steveo70 , thanks man. Yep, it was an ordeal that should have never happened. Although things are going well with my EVO, I chose not to renew my contract with Sprint because I feel that they are continually dropping the ball on existing customers and focusing more on building their numbers up. Sad

David

eric12341 01-22-2012 01:26 PM

@DaveTN come on over to Tmo.