PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 03:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

wizardknight is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Getting a new TP2 - what bad things to look for in a referb

My usb port stopped transmitting data, but it was still charging the phone. I went into a sprint store to have the local tech verify my conclusions suspecting a bad usb port, and when they could not figure out the issue they offered to exchange the phone for a referb for $35+Tax. I decided that it was a fair price and accepted.

Now I know that there have been issues with the usb ports, and oil marks on the screen. Is there anything else I should look for while I am in the 30 day warranty period?

I don't mind breaking out my voodoo skirt, and chicken bones. I want to make sure there are no hidden demons in the referb if possible.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Re: Getting a new TP2 - what bad things to look for in a referb

what do you mean it stopped sending data? it should work if it can charge :S
you sure it isn't your computers fault, like an active sync issue?

my phone seems to break active sync once in a while but works if i hard reset phone, not sure what happens but I toggle things on/off in registry so I'm not worried phone is broken, i think i just break it myself on accident Anyways if I need to access phone I connect to it via wifi anyways

my phone is refurb too, and i have no problems with it, not even sure why it was refurbed. everything on it works, well the keyboard is a bit of a problem on some letters, gets hard to press but since it's a real keyboard I can feel when it goes down so if it doesn't go down I press a bit harder
Old 01-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post

my phone seems to break active sync once in a while but works if i hard reset phone, not sure what happens but I toggle things on/off in registry so I'm not worried phone is broken, i think i just break it myself on accident Anyways if I need to access phone I connect to it via wifi anyways

my phone is refurb too, and i have no problems with it, not even sure why it was refurbed. everything on it works, well the keyboard is a bit of a problem on some letters, gets hard to press but since it's a real keyboard I can feel when it goes down so if it doesn't go down I press a bit harder
the USB can stop transmitting data while being able to charge , it happend to me . the USB port on the device is shot . I bet when he plugs his device into his computer he gets a "This device can perform faster" error just as i did .

As far as refurbs go this is what i went over when i got mine before sending my old one back:

Main hardware keys (Call, endcall, windows key and back key, volume keys power keys) Check for FULL functionality and ensure the "Click" feel is felt . it should have some resistance when pressing the button .

If all was good there , i checkes hardware keyboard , simply opened a text and pressed each individual key

Then i checked USB port , i plugged it into my comp with the volume all the way up and plugged the USB cable into my device then jiggled the plug at the phones end and listened for the "boodump" sound from my comp when a USB device was removed . If i heard that i immediatly complained for another .

Hope that helps !
Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

well you might find that you could go through up to 20 different ones before finding one that works up to expectations.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post

Yes I mean it stopped transmitting data over usb, and would still charge. It would not show up in the device manager, or active sync. I tried two computers, and three cables. The sprint techs could not get it to transmit any data either. So I guess that would be at least three computers and four cables.

Either way I have a new one coming now. So that point is moot.

I was just checking to see if there were any major known issues with the referbs besides the screen oil mark, usb, and now keyboard.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
well you might find that you could go through up to 20 different ones before finding one that works up to expectations.
Glad to know that. Care to share what I should be looking for?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
the USB can stop transmitting data while being able to charge , it happend to me . the USB port on the device is shot . I bet when he plugs his device into his computer he gets a "This device can perform faster" error just as i did .

As far as refurbs go this is what i went over when i got mine before sending my old one back:

Main hardware keys (Call, endcall, windows key and back key, volume keys power keys) Check for FULL functionality and ensure the "Click" feel is felt . it should have some resistance when pressing the button .

If all was good there , i checkes hardware keyboard , simply opened a text and pressed each individual key

Then i checked USB port , i plugged it into my comp with the volume all the way up and plugged the USB cable into my device then jiggled the plug at the phones end and listened for the "boodump" sound from my comp when a USB device was removed . If i heard that i immediatly complained for another .

Hope that helps !
Thanks for the ideas.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:21 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardknight View Post
Glad to know that. Care to share what I should be looking for?
@eric12341 could be referring to @DaveTN and his soap opera in trying to get a acceptable refurb TP2. Dave deserved better.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-...days-over.html
Old 01-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

@steveo70 , thanks man. Yep, it was an ordeal that should have never happened. Although things are going well with my EVO, I chose not to renew my contract with Sprint because I feel that they are continually dropping the ball on existing customers and focusing more on building their numbers up. Sad

David
Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

@DaveTN come on over to Tmo.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2